Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,070 members, 7,953,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:17 PM

Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market (1842 Views)

What Fast Moving Good(s) Does The Nigerian Market Need? / Dangote Rice Hits Nigerian Market As Price Of Rice Is Set To Crash / Any Explanation To The Dominance Of St Louis Sugar In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 3:22am On Sep 26, 2016
Can informed folks please state why DSTV appears to have a monopoly on content in this country and how their dominance can be realistically whittled down by a rival digital broadcasting company?
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by caxim04(m): 5:22am On Sep 26, 2016
Ask Google bro...
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by RUTHINYAEGBE: 9:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
Hi, please check your mail.I sent a mail
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by ezechueze(m): 11:26am On Oct 15, 2016
Life is good with LG ELECTRONICS

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by ezechueze(m): 11:31am On Oct 15, 2016

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by ezechueze(m): 11:34am On Oct 15, 2016

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 6:35pm On Oct 15, 2016
ezechueze:
For you to stand toe-to-toe with DSTV, you must have a blueprint.

can you come up with a business plan that is workable? why i'm asking is that I spoke with some venture capitalists who want to pour money into content services in Nigeria but they need a solid workable business plan?

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by phetto(m): 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2016
If u cant Beat dem by quality, Beat dem by quantity. For example GLO vs MTN, COKE vs BIGCOLA, CHINA phones vs WESTERN phones.
nw to d topic @ hand
y do Nigerians prefer DSTV?
1. FOOTBALL SHOWS.
2. MOVIES AND SERIES.
3. ABILITY TO RECORD SHOWS.
4. AFFORDABILITY.
5. AVAILABILITY OF AGENTS.
6. EASY PAYMENTS.
7. E.T.C
IF u cn beat dem with at least 3 out of dis points, den u cn b competitive.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by tonytony208(m): 5:15am On Oct 16, 2016
phetto:
If u cant Beat dem by quality, Beat dem by quantity. For example GLO vs MTN, COKE vs BIGCOLA, CHINA phones vs WESTERN phones.
nw to d topic @ hand
y do Nigerians prefer DSTV?
1. FOOTBALL SHOWS.
2. MOVIES AND SERIES.
3. ABILITY TO RECORD SHOWS.
4. AFFORDABILITY.
5. AVAILABILITY OF AGENTS.
6. EASY PAYMENTS.
7. E.T.C
IF u cn beat dem with at least 3 out of dis points, den u cn b competitive.

All of you are not getting what the op is asking.

He is asking why it is only dstv that is showing full EPL matches.

He is asking why other outfits are not able to do the same.

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by phetto(m): 8:33am On Oct 16, 2016
tonytony208:

OK
DSTV PAYS MILLIONS OF DOLLARS
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by hommespecia: 11:27am On Oct 16, 2016
Any brand that want to break the monopoly of Dstv most first of all think out of the box.

what make dstv so special?
How did they gain the heart of Nigerians?
are they exploiting Nigerians?
what is Dstv not doing right?

once these questions are answered,I bet it will give the key to breaking Dstv dominance.

lastly I've got some ideas that I think if well implemented will break these monopoly.We should remember Nokia and blackberry are once a leading brand.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by hommespecia: 11:32am On Oct 16, 2016
dyydxx:

can you come up with a business plan that is workable? why i'm asking is that I spoke with some venture capitalists who want to pour money into content services in Nigeria but they need a solid workable business plan?
I think we can work together.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
hommespecia:
I think we can work together.

send me an email at dyydxx@aol.com
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by onatisi(m): 12:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
tonytony208:

epl tv rights are auctioned and sold on a yearly basis. Dstv happens to be the only one with the financial muscle to buy the epl rights for Nigeria from the epl. It is big bucks

2 Likes

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2016
onatisi:
epl tv rights are auctioned and sold on a yearly basis. Dstv happens to be the only one with the financial muscle to buy the epl rights for Nigeria from the epl. It is big bucks

how much are we talking off?
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by onatisi(m): 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by remedick: 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
dyydxx:

how much are we talking off?

$,$$$,$$$ + they have the backing of their government.

Also do not forget to romance Nigeria's communication agences, you need that political links too to leverage on. I dont want to believe DSTV hasn't been greasing palms along the way.

Can you get anyone who works at DSTV, buy them over and use their experience?

Picture clarity is another angle.

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by remedick: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
lalasticlala, happy Sunday o. This thread calleth the for frontpage decoration.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by remedick: 12:57pm On Oct 16, 2016
dyydxx:

Jesus.... that's for 3 years right
fear not. Can you some guys from Arab nations? You will fear blood money. I mean the princes from the kingdom. Etisalat (UAE) came late but here they are today.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by AbuMikey(m): 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2016
Having a Blueprint and a well Detailed Business plan is what can dislodge the monopoly of DSTV overtime, let's say with a 3-5 year period.

Like.....
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by onatisi(m): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2016
AbuMikey:
Having a Blueprint and a well Detailed Business plan is what can dislodge the monopoly of DSTV overtime, let's say with a 3-5 year period.

Like.....
The only way to break dstv monopoly is to do what is different from what they are doing. Simple as abc
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by tchaik(m): 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
onatisi:

The only way to break dstv monopoly is to do what is different from what they are doing. Simple as abc

or better still, do what they do in a better, cheaper and easier (more convenient) way. HITV had that chance and blew it.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by onatisi(m): 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2016
tchaik:

or better still, do what they do in a better, cheaper and easier (more convenient) way. HITV had that chance and blew it.
You cant do it better or cheaper than them.

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by tchaik(m): 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2016
onatisi:

You cant do it better or cheaper than them.

If you say so; good for you. It will surely be hard and tasking, but not impossible.

1 Like

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by onatisi(m): 3:07pm On Oct 16, 2016
tchaik:

If you say so; good for you. It will surely be hard and tasking, but not impossible.
ok I hear.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by AbuMikey(m): 7:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
onatisi:

That's the Blueprint we talking about.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by HAH: 7:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
If the Nigerian government want they can break DSTV monopoly, Nigeria has about 60% of their subscribers outside SA, with that Nigeria government can insist they either share there content for a fee with other get totally blocked, then the government and other private station can bid for only Nigeria populace say from skysport.

The truth is if the government want to break DSTV monopoly it can but the problem is we have mediocre private sectors players, do you remember when Hitv got the epl right for Nigeria, the only reason people bought there decoders was for the football, others are only mediocre channels, while dstv having realized the may lose out they decided to expand there content on Documentaries , entertainment and movies, they also introduced channels like afmag Hausa and yoruba, they also introduce pocket friendly charges, like the dstv family and access, as a matter of fact dstv increased it customers when they lost the epl right. Immediately Hitv entered problem they regained the right for epl and till date they are the satellite to beat, imagine we have startimes, which I also considered not a competition to dstv, consat as well is just there.

Now if you want to beat dstv you sit down and compete with them channel by channel, any channel they don't have exclusive right for you also buy and those that you they have exclusive right for you get a close subtitute.

The most important factor in breaking dstv monopoly in Nigeria is breaking Nigeria or west africa as a separate zone like the north africa and not lumped together with east and southern africa, and you must be grounded in government to achieve that

Also don't forget pricing should be competitive and there must be massive promotion and reach

2 Likes

Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by sammyscholar(m): 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
ezechueze:
It's not really easy to break their monopoly, but it will take an established brand to compete favorably just like what we have in the mobile telecommunications industry.
If you can replicate or out perform their content especially the supersports series, African Magic series, and MNET series, you may get even.
Many cables are ready to give better contents. Access to the sources of contents is what DSTV has made sure no other cables have. HITV was ready to break the monopoly but DSTV outsmarted it. All I'm just trying to say is that it takes more than what you said.

It takes a very smart competitor to break DSTV's monopoly.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by AbuMikey(m): 6:17am On Oct 17, 2016
I could help with a few tips on how to break the DSTV monopoly, if the OP wants me to. Privately.
Re: Breaking The Dominance Of DSTV In Nigerian Market by dyydxx: 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2016
AbuMikey:
I could help with a few tips on how to break the DSTV monopoly, if the OP wants me to. Privately.

send me an initial proposal dyydxx@aol.com

(1) (Reply)

Free Step by Step Guide Ebook - Unstoppable Income Channels Business Model / If You Have Fiverr Review For Sale, Open / Top Usa Brands At 70% Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.