Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,690 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

How To Enhance/prolong Your Laptop Battery Life Cycle - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Enhance/prolong Your Laptop Battery Life Cycle (513 Views)

How To Prolong Your Battery Life And Increase The Lifelines / DHL, Mallforafrica Partner To Enhance E-commerce Flow From Africa To US / Wireless/wired Hotspot Service Enhance Your Network Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Enhance/prolong Your Laptop Battery Life Cycle by johnchins: 8:06am On Sep 26, 2016
As time evolves, technology takes new age delving into the super-jet age. These days, almost in all homes, one can find at least one or two personal computers either for business or personal use. Full or good knowledge of how this computer functions will enable the users utilize it to its full potential with little or no troubles. Today, chinsgeek is bringing to you necessary and important facts that can enable you boost the life of your battery and utilize it to its optimum.

Its quite true, a brand new laptops comes with a good and long lasting battery but the battery life of the laptops comes with a limit. This battery limits heavily depends on the behaviour and attitude of the users. In as much as battery life is concerned, the PC hardware’s and software’s must be put into consideration. Well, If you are looking for some tips and tricks to enhance the battery life of your personal computer; desktop or laptop, then you are certainly at the right place.

With respect to this article, I will be sharing with you amazing ways and methods you can use to make sure you don’t patronize battery sellers for at least the next two years.

Tips: There are three basic factors I will be sharing with us on this section or article, each factors have contributing sub-factors. Pay close attention to each as all are apparently vital.

Factors Based on Operating System
Operating system is top among the main factors that affect your battery life. I am almost used to virtually all of them. I classified them into three, rather, I choose to talk about three of them.

1. Linux OS
Almost all linux distros has very negative effect on the battery life cycle and other hardware of your laptop. among them all, Ubuntu is a little fair in battery consumption. The battery life of my Laptop reduced to 2 hours from 4 hours, after switching my OS from Windows to ubuntu. My conclusion remains that average life of a new laptop operating linux is around 2-3 hours.

2. Windows OS
All distributions / versions of windows after windows Vista and windows xp are better/considerable in performance and hardware compatibility. They significantly offer standardize drivers and programs for the maintenance/repair of the system. I’m not saying thus to say that windows is better than linux, but I think they are in the aspect of Hardware issues. Windows easily defeat Linux in this matter. This makes the average life of a windows OS powered laptop to be around 4-6 hours after full charge.
Note: A window 7 of Microsoft is 10x better than windows 10. Because of unwanted apps and processes running in the background as seen in windows 10. And you know what? This single feature steals your bandwidth to make sure the updates are upheld.

3. Mac OS
Apple is very much famous for its full compatibility in terms of software and hardware within all their fully built system. They are known to design their hardware and software system to compatibly integrate with each other so perfectly (if that word is permitted). As a result of this level of integration it makes the whole system so much better; giving the average life cycle for a mac book PC around 10-15 hours.

Based on Software Structure
At this point, pay close attention because it concerns you the users as most of the operations we carry out in our laptops have negatives effects on the battery life cycle.

#1. Shut Apps and Processes.
From time to time as you makes use of your laptop try to look at your task manager and shut the unwanted apps and processes that are not required and running unnecessarily in the background. In Linux, There will be no extra application that is running without your call. In mac. There may be some, you can stop them manually. In windows, especially in version 10, you should press Ctrl+shift+Esc to open task manager and kill the unnecessary processes.

#2. Start Battery Saver Mode.
You might not do this as often, but whenever needed. you must switch to the power saver mode. As the OS automatically manages the various low level hardware and software switching. Every time use of this mode, will reduce the quality performance of your system as this mode holds resources to give your laptop few more moments of life.

#3. Adjust Settings.
Make out time and open settings of your OS. There you;ll find various options of changing brightness, Bluetooth, WiFi etc. You should switch them off of minimum in order to get maximum out of your system.

#4. Multitasking.
In multi-tasking, the More you’ll use your CPU, the more will be draining of your battery. So, to conserve battery, just close all unnecessary programs / applications which are not being used. Don’t just minimize them. Otherwise they’ll continuing using resources of the laptop.

#5. Performing Hibernating
Don’t ever Use this feature in place of shutdown. Never use Sleep, hibernate, Lock etc. options if you are shutting your laptop for more than 5 min. This is because, these options may use less battery and start your laptop in an instance when you require. But this feature comes with a flaw. Your battery life (not battery timing) gets reduced. And you’ll need to buy a new battery soon. So, Keep the habit of shutting down. Because there is a reason, why they have given ‘Shutdown’ option.

Battery Issues Based on Hardware
The hardware is the backbone of the system. Laptop is nothing but a well assembled group of hardware. So, you need to well care of it. Linux and Windows user need to read this section carefully. But mac. users just need to have a overview, because 90% of their headache is solved by Apple.

#1. Managing Unused Devices And Port
Ports are the opening holes of your system, through which you can connect other devices or connections. You should detect the unused devices and ports and shut them through the OS settings in order to get maximum out of your system. Close bluetooth, wifi, etc. if not in use. this will help you in Increase Laptop Battery Life.

#2. RAM issues
Increasing your system’s RAM will help your laptop a lot. As it reduces unwanted cleaning of RAM when required and thus results in saving a bit of your laptop’s battery. As RAM is an essential part of laptop, keeping it in excess will help your laptop.

#3. Maintenance practice
At least once in 2 weeks, You must remove your battery from the laptop’s back cover and clean its all contact points. but don;t use any fluid to clean it. As it may corrode the contact points and it will result in reducing your battery life. Clean it with simple cloth.

#4. Overcharging the battery

Last on the list. Avoid Overcharging Your laptop’s battery. you should charge it to maximum and use it until 10 % or 7%. i.e. Use full potential of your battery so, its efficiency remains maximum. Stuffing the charged battery from 30 – 40 % level will damage that unused 40% cells in battery as they are not getting used in any cycle.

Note: make it a practice to completely drain your battery more often, like 2-3 times in a month, this can help it regain its full potential again.
I hope this article was being helpful, see you at the top as you help your laptop battery regains its full life potentials…. chinsgeek always tell you the HOWS!

see more @ http://www.chinsgeek.com/2016/09/how-to-enhanceprolong-your-laptop.html

Re: How To Enhance/prolong Your Laptop Battery Life Cycle by JerryLegend(m): 8:48am On Sep 26, 2016
Nice one OP

(1) (Reply)

The Future Of Artificial Intelligence & Ethics On The Road To Superintelligence / The Big Brother Framework That Can Bring Down Your Auto Protection / Tesla Goes Underground And Uber Takes To The Skies : The Birth Of Magic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.