Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,326 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Christanity A Blessing To Africa. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christanity A Blessing To Africa. (1361 Views)

The Reason Why Jesus Christ Is Flogging Your Church Instead Of Blessing It / Hypocrisim In Christanity,why I Left!!!!! / The Plot Against Christanity In Kaduna State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 11:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
Atheists have accused religeon,especially Christainity as the cause of Africa's underdevelopment and  is the responsible for Africans been unable to  make rational  thoughts and decisions but to rely on Supersistious beliefs.
This Story below shows the opposite. It shows that rather than been a curse ,Christainity is a Blessing to Africans. Its absences results to Chaos,Immoral degredation,Crime and other vices.this story shows that Christainity has shown Africans how to act morally and Civil. Their Supersistious attitude has always existed even before the introduction of Christainity.

The man hired to have sex with
children.

By Ed Butler
BBC News, Malawi

In some remote southern regions of Malawi,
it's traditional for girls to be made to have sex
with a paid sex worker known as a "hyena"
once they reach puberty. The act is not seen by
village elders as rape, but as a form of ritual
"cleansing". However, as Ed Butler reports, it
has the potential to be the opposite of
cleansing - a way of spreading disease.
I meet Eric Aniva in the dusty yard of his three-
room shack in Nsanje district in southern
Malawi. Goats and chickens graze in the dirt
outside. Wearing a grimy green shirt, and walking with a pronounced limp (he's been lame in one leg since birth, he says), he greets me enthusiastically. He seems to like the idea of media attention.
Aniva is by all accounts the pre-eminent "hyena"in this village. It's a traditional title given to a man hired by communities in several remote parts of southern Malawi to provide what's called sexual "cleansing". If a man dies, for example, his wife is required by tradition to sleep with Aniva before she can bury him. If a woman has an abortion,again sexual cleansing is required.

And most shockingly, here in Nsanje, teenage
girls, after their first menstruation, are made to
have sex over a three-day period, to mark their
passage from childhood to womanhood. If the
girls refuse, it's believed, disease or some fatal
misfortune could befall their families or the
village as a whole.
"Most of those I have slept with are girls, school- going girls," Aniva tells me.
"Some girls are just 12 or 13 years old, but I
prefer them older. All these girls find pleasure in having me as their hyena. They actually are proud and tell other people that this man is a real man, he knows how to please a woman."
Despite his boasts, several girls I meet in a
nearby village express aversion to the ordeal
they've had to go through.
"There was nothing else I could have done. I had to do it for the sake of my parents," one girl, Maria, tells me. "If I'd refused, my family
members could be attacked with diseases - even death - so I was scared."
They tell me that all their female friends were
made to have sex with a hyena.

Aniva appears to be in his 40s (he's vague about his precise age) and currently has two wives who are well aware of his work. He claims to have slept with 104 women and girls - although as he said the same to a local newspaper in 2012, I sense that he long ago lost count. Aniva has five children that he knows about - he's not sure how many of the women and girls he's made pregnant.
He tells me he's one of 10 hyenas in this
community, and that every village in Nsanje
district has them. They are paid from $4 to $7
(£3 to £5) each time.
An hour's drive down the road, I'm introduced to Fagisi, Chrissie and Phelia, women in their 50s and custodians of the initiation traditions in their village. It's their job to organise the adolescent girls into camps each year, teaching them about their duties as wives and how to please a man sexually. The "sexual cleansing" with the hyena is the final stage of this process, arranged voluntarily by the girl's parents. It's necessary,Fagisi, Chrissie and Phelia explain, "to avoid infection with their parents or the rest of the community".
I put it to them that there's a much greater risk
that these "cleansings" will themselves spread
disease. According to custom, sex with the hyena must never be protected with the use of
condoms. But they say a hyena is hand-picked for his good morals, and therefore cannot be
infected with HIV/Aids.
It's clear, given the hyena's duties, that HIV is a
huge risk to the community. The UN estimates
that one in 10 of all Malawians carry the virus, so
I ask Aniva if he is HIV-positive. He astounds me by saying that he is - and that he doesn't mention this to a girl's parents when they hire him.As our conversation continues, Aniva senses that I am not impressed. He stops boasting and tells me that he does fewer cleansings than before. "I still do the rituals here and there," he confides.Then he tells me: "I am stopping."
All of those involved in these rituals are aware
that these customs are condemned by outsiders -not just by the church, but by NGOs and the government as well, which has launched a campaign against so-called "harmful cultural practices".
"We are not going to condemn these people,"
says Dr May Shaba, permanent secretary of the
Ministry of Gender and Welfare. "But we are going to give them information that they need to change their rituals."Parents who have had more education than others may already choose not to hire a hyena, I am told. But the female elders I spoke to remain defiant. "There's nothing wrong with our culture," Chrissie tells me. "If you look at today's society, you can see that girls are not responsible, so we have to train our girls in a good manner in the village, so that they don't go astray, are good wives so that the husband is satisfied, and so that nothing bad happens to their families."
According to Father Clause Boucher, a French-
born Catholic priest who's lived in Malawi for 50years and is now its pre-eminent anthropologist,the rituals date back centuries. They stem from age-old beliefs about the need for children to be passed into the "heat" of adulthood by a sexual act, he says. In the past, when girls tended not to reach puberty until they were 15 or 16, this would often have been carried out by a selected future husband. Today it's more likely to done by a paid sex worker, a hyena, and there's no shame attached to that.
Father Boucher points out that the efforts to
change this sexualisation of children have been stubbornly resisted in remote southern areas,
despite more than a century of Christianity and
30 years of the Aids epidemic. In most of the
country - and particularly in areas close to the
cities of Blantyre and Lilongwe - "sexual
cleansing" is rarely if ever practised.
In Malawi's central Dedza district, hyenas are only ever used to initiate widows or infertile women, but the Paramount Chief Theresa Kachindamoto a rare female figurehead in Malawi - has made the fight against the tradition a personal priority.
She is trying to galvanise other regional chiefs to make similar efforts. In some other districts, like Mangochi in the east of the country, ceremonies are being adapted to replace sex with a more benign anointing of the girl.
In Nsanje, though, there is little effort to bring
about change. With Malawi one of the poorest
countries in the world, and suffering from
growing reports of rural hunger, it's not a policy priority.
In a remote village, I meet one of Aniva's two
wives, Fanny, along with his youngest baby
daughter. Fanny was herself widowed before
being "cleansed" by Aniva with sex. They married soon after.
Their relationship looks strained. Sitting next to him, she admits shyly that she hates what he
does, but that it brings necessary income. I ask
her if she expects her two-year-old to be
undergoing initiation too in perhaps 10 years
from now.
"I don't want that to happen," she says. "I want
this tradition to end. We are forced to sleep with the hyenas. It's not out of our choice and that I
think is so sad for us as women."
"You hated it when it happened to you?" I ask.
"I still hate it right up until now."
When I ask Aniva too whether he wants his
daughter to undergo sexual cleansing, he
surprises me again.
"Not my daughter. I cannot allow this. Now I am fighting for the end of this malpractice."
"So, you're fighting against it, but you are still
doing it yourself?" I ask. "No, as I said, I'm stopping now."
"Really?" "For sure. For real, I'm stopping."

www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36843769

In conclusion .
Christainity is the bedrock of this  present  Civilization the entire world is benefitting from.
If will say western religeon has held us down.than we should not use products and ideas of western civilizations.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by HCpaul(m): 11:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
Based on your religious view on the word "blessing"

Blessing in Christianity seems to me as an unapprehensive form of luck.

It is a blessing because you successfully keeps the world in suspense of the return of your coming Sky brother.

A good definition of blessing indeed.

5 Likes

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Aaronsrod: 11:30pm On Sep 27, 2016
Jesus will make us change our old Africa ways. If we do not we will burn forever in hellfire. This the Bible has told us this. Understand and repent.

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Ranchhoddas: 11:30pm On Sep 27, 2016
How did your 'hyena' story take connect to Christianity I no just know.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Aaronsrod: 11:32pm On Sep 27, 2016
Africa means sin from the old times. Read your Bible well.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by lepasharon(f): 12:43am On Sep 28, 2016
Jesus be praised

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by otemanuduno: 2:22am On Sep 28, 2016
Nah...it's no blessing at all. This thread is ironical.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by JSoE(f): 2:30am On Sep 28, 2016
Aaronsrod:

Who did this to you?

Oh my f.cking gosh shocked

4 Likes

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 4:36am On Sep 28, 2016
HCpaul:
Based on your religious view on the word "blessing"

Blessing in Christianity seems to me as an unapprehensive form of luck.

It is a blessing because you successfully keeps the world in suspense of the return of your coming Sky brother.

A good definition of blessing indeed.

At least it is for more effective than your illusion(Evolution and bigbang)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 4:40am On Sep 28, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How did your 'hyena' story take connect to Christianity I no just know.

This African traditional religeous beliefs have held Africans backward.contrary to your claims that Christainity was responsible for Africa's underdevelopment. if this people pratice true christanity ,they would not have accepted such traditions that promote unhealthy sex habits .

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 4:42am On Sep 28, 2016
otemanuduno:
Nah...it's no blessing at all. This thread is ironical.

I laugh , I just exposed African traditional religeon and its decit.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 4:43am On Sep 28, 2016
Aaronsrod:

Where in the Bible? be precise.

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Ranchhoddas: 7:03am On Sep 28, 2016
blueAgent:

This African traditional religeous beliefs have held Africans backward.contrary to your claims that Christainity was responsible for Africa's underdevelopment. if this people pratice true christanity ,they would not have accepted such traditions that promote unhealthy sex habits .
My claim? When did I make any such claim?
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Aaronsrod: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2016
blueAgent:

Where in the Bible? be precise.
The curse is on Africa. Only Jesus can lift the darkness.
Genesis 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

Jeremiah 13:23 Can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Aaronsrod: 11:07am On Sep 28, 2016
I pray in Jesus name you will come to deeper understanding.

https://creationsciencestudy./2012/05/15/africa-the-cursed-continent-6/

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 28, 2016
Aaron you are a big stupid bastardized ignoramus, ur generation is the cursed one,sound it into the ears of your children that they are cursed and that whites are better than then through out their miserable lives,they gave you bible and took everything from you,INCLUDING YOUR BRAIN,YOU FOOL,,YOUR AFRICAN RELIGION IS FAR BATTER THAN CHRISTIANITY IF NOT THE SAME,PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLD INTO SLAVERY OR BETTER STILL DIED AT BIRTH, IGNORAMUS
THE BIBLE HAS COMPLETED ITS BRAINWASHING WORK ON YOU,MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILL SPELL DOOM FOR AFRICA, THE BIBLE HAS TAKEN YOUR BRAIN SOMUCH THAT YOU NOW THINK THAT WHITES ARE BETTER THAN YOU,
IDIOT

3 Likes

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2016
Try exposing your pastors and priests that lay with small boys and girls daily before spewing this rotten rubbish from your brainwashed deranged mind

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by EyeHateGod: 12:02pm On Sep 28, 2016
I SMELL HYPOCRISY

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 28, 2016
If Christianity is a blessing to Nigeria, why is the country still living in poverty? undecided why do we still have a poverty mentality? Or barbaric mentality? undecided....we never reason logically. Christianity so far is a cause to Nigeria tongue

3 Likes

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:09am On Oct 01, 2016
Aaronsrod:

The curse is on Africa. Only Jesus can lift the darkness.
Genesis 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

Jeremiah 13:23 Can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

Its tricky , but this is still not sufficent proof that Africans are cannaites.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:22am On Oct 01, 2016
Buharimustdie20:
Aaron you are a big stupid bastardized ignoramus, ur generation is the cursed one,sound it into the ears of your children that they are cursed and that whites are better than then through out their miserable lives,they gave you bible and took everything from you,INCLUDING YOUR BRAIN,YOU FOOL,,YOUR AFRICAN RELIGION IS FAR BATTER THAN CHRISTIANITY IF NOT THE SAME,PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLD INTO SLAVERY OR BETTER STILL DIED AT BIRTH, IGNORAMUS
THE BIBLE HAS COMPLETED ITS BRAINWASHING WORK ON YOU,MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILL SPELL DOOM FOR AFRICA, THE BIBLE HAS TAKEN YOUR BRAIN SOMUCH THAT YOU NOW THINK THAT WHITES ARE BETTER THAN YOU,
IDIOT

Clown. Slavary has existed in Africa for hundreds of years before whites and christanity came to Africa.
It was Christaninity that stopped Slavery.
Secondly your African traditional religeon could not help you exploit your oil wealth and Resources. it took the White man and his christanity to show you that you had such resources.
If you hate Christanity why did you go to School or why do you use products like phone,internet,cars e.t.c all this are products of the Whiteman and his Christanity? or are you also brainwashed?
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:24am On Oct 01, 2016
Buharimustdie20:
Try exposing your pastors and priests that lay with small boys and girls daily before spewing this rotten rubbish from your brainwashed deranged mind

Actions of People who are fake pastors should not be used as a yardstick to judge christainity.
Do you understand the Article? thats the traditional religeon you are advocating for.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:33am On Oct 01, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
My claim? When did I make any such claim?

That what you Atheists Claim.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:33am On Oct 01, 2016
ItsQuinn:
If Christianity is a blessing to Nigeria, why is the country still living in poverty? undecided why do we still have a poverty mentality? Or barbaric mentality? undecided....we never reason logically. Christianity so far is a cause to Nigeria tongue

You should measure Nigeria's progress based on the level where Nigeria was ;before Christanity came, No Schools,tarred Roads,Hosiptals,Caste system been praticsed in the East,high level of Illietracy.
Christanity built Schools that today has produced Your first Engineers,accountants,proffessors,Doctors,

Secondly you should blame your corrupt low IQ leaders and Fellowers who bear Christanity as a name but live contrary to Christain values of Hardwork ,Honesty and Charity.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 7:35am On Oct 01, 2016
EyeHateGod:
I SMELL HYPOCRISY
I guess you are referring to African traditional religeons or Atheism.
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 06, 2016
Aaronsrod:
Jesus will make us change our old Africa ways. If we do not we will burn forever in hellfire. This the Bible has told us this. Understand and repent.
idiot, I spit on your gullibility

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 06, 2016
blueAgent:

Clown. Slavary has existed in Africa for hundreds of years before whites and christanity came to Africa.
It was Christaninity that stopped Slavery.
Secondly your African traditional religeon could not help you exploit your oil wealth and Resources. it took the White man and his christanity to show you that you had such resources.
If you hate Christanity why did you go to School or why do you use products like phone,internet,cars e.t.c all this are products of the Whiteman and his Christanity? or are you also brainwashed?
don't decieve yourself, Christianity endorsed slavery it was the humanity in the antislavery activists that helped stop slavery not Christianity

1 Like

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 11:25am On Oct 06, 2016
Buharimustdie20:

don't decieve yourself, Christianity endorsed slavery it was the humanity in the antislavery activists that helped stop slavery not Christianity

How did christainity endorse Slavary?

www.creation.mobi/anti-slavery-activist-william-wilberforce-christian-hero

www.creation.mobi/bible-v-slavery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by DeSepiero(m): 11:42am On Oct 06, 2016
reading...
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2016
Aaronsrod:

Hellfire is not for eternity. it is one of the most misinterpreted verses in Bible
Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 06, 2016
Yes I agree Christianity has done good for the African continent. But it's now degenerative. Religion has outlived its usefulness in today's world. Just like a human baby needs diapers when it is still uncultured, and then learns to do without as it gets more older and smarter. Africa must learn to do without religion. The western world that gave religion to us are already abandoning it for more useful ventures.
Just imagine when other countries are advancing science, working on quantum computers, sending robots to space, we as Nigerians are here discussing about a pastor that got stuck in a juju shrine, about how somebody's grandmother is trying to kill them, how eyelashes are made from Satan's armpit.
When countries are building international space stations, universities, hospitals. Nigeria is building a larger church or mosque. Religion is like the diaper and its time africa outgrows it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christanity A Blessing To Africa. by blueAgent(m): 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
Lennycool:
Yes I agree Christianity has done good for the African continent. But it's now degenerative. Religion has outlived its usefulness in today's world. Just like a human baby needs diapers when it is still uncultured, and then learns to do without as it gets more older and smarter. Africa must learn to do without religion. The western world that gave religion to us are already abandoning it for more useful ventures.
Just imagine when other countries are advancing science, working on quantum computers, sending robots to space, we as Nigerians are here discussing about a pastor that got stuck in a juju shrine, about how somebody's grandmother is trying to kill them, how eyelashes are made from Satan's armpit.
When countries are building international space stations, universities, hospitals. Nigeria is building a larger church or mosque. Religion is like the diaper and its time africa outgrows it.

Religeon does not have a lifespan. especially Christain religeon. what you see in western world is not the death of religeon(christainity) but transistion to another religeon (Satanism)
They will decieve you by promoting Evolution and Atheism, They are all Satanism in disguise.
Read in between the line. think for yourself

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Shepherd Bushiri Makes US Dollars Appear in a BAG(video) / To Whom Are We To Pray, The Father, The Son, Or The Holy Spirit? / Was The Book Of Genesis Just A Cheap Copy Of The Sumerian Text

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.