Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Best African Songs (all Time) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Best African Songs (all Time) (894 Views)

Davido Wins MOBO Best African Act Awards (Video) / Most Downloaded South African Songs In July / In Love With These African Songs, Recommend Me From Your Country. . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Best African Songs (all Time) by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2016
10. Zamina mina (zangalewa)- Golden sounds (1986):
we all have heard shakira's version of this song during the WC, 2010. But hey, this is the original. Searched google for the meaning and i saw different translations. Wikipedia says, "the song, music historians say, is a criticism of black military officers who were in league with whites to oppress their own people. The rest is cameroonian slang and jargon from the soldiers during the war."

9. Umquombothi (african beer)- Yvonne chaka chaka (1988):
"…i wake up every morning to please my people with african beer… i wanna make you happy, i wanna make you dance…" Hotel rwanda featured "umqombothi" in the beginning of the film.

8. Personally- P-square (2013):
We've all heard the song. Let me just add the accolades; P-square was nominated for "best international performance" at the 2013 soul train music awards for "personally". "Personally" was nominated for song of the year at the 2014 mtv africa music awards . The music video for "personally" was nominated for best music video of the year at the 2014 nigeria entertainment awards . The music video for "personally" was also nominated for most gifted dance at the 2014 channel o music video awards .

7. Coupé bibamba- Awilo Longomba (1998): Mostly gibberish but many of us danced to this song. Right, who needs the meaning to dance.
"…comment tu t'appelles?…"

6. Agolo- Angelique Kidjo (1994):
Kidjo said during an interview with bbc, "the song is about the need to give more love to the mother earth in order for her to carry us a long way, us and the next generations."
Re: Best African Songs (all Time) by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2016
5. 7 seconds- Youssou n'dour and Neneh cherry (1994):
"7 seconds" tells about first seven seconds in the life of a newborn, arguably unaware of problems in the world." neneh cherry. this song topped the music chart in many countries. yeah, it's that sweet. the song is trilingual, english, french and wolof.

4. African queen- 2 face (2004):
2face is a bad boy, and he snatched our girlfriends for a while with this song. You just had to know this song, know how to sing it or else, you could lose your girlfriend to someone who does. forever.

3. Wombo lombo- Angelique Kidjo (1996):
Another song from the Grammy award winning singer. "…have you ever seen this man moving… this dance has got somethin…" Yea, it's our very own song, purely African.

2. Vulindlela- Brenda Fassie (1998*):
Somewhere, somehow, you've heard this song. If not wholly, at least a part of it. You don’t have to understand the words to be moved by the song. It just has that effect. But hey, this song talks about a mother who was so happy that her son has found a wife. So, she says, vulindlela which means open the gates…

1. Premier gaou- Magic system (1999/2002):
"1er Gaou" is based on autobiographical experiences of lead singer Salif "A'Salfo" Traoré. When he was an aspiring, poor artist, his girlfriend left him, but when he became a celebrity with Magic System, she tried to win him back, but Traoré turned her down. Because, "…on dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou o, c'est deuxieme gaou qui est niata o…"

(1) (Reply)

Tooxclusive Music Competition 2016: A Good Platform For Upcoming Artistes!!! / Download All The Latest Nigeria Gospel Songs / Falz Ft Ycee - Something Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.