Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,082 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

World's Blasphemy Day - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / World's Blasphemy Day (491 Views)

I Find This Topic 'blasphemy Of The Holy Spirit' So Challenging.Bible Scholars / BREAKING: Christian Convert, 7 Others Killed For Alleged Blasphemy In Zamfara / God Pls Forgive Me For This Blasphemy!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

World's Blasphemy Day by amberacious: 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2016
World's Blasphemy Day

Today is world's blasphemy day, though unofficial, yet it's observed in some parts of the world especially in Europe and America. What is the whole idea of the celebration centered on? According to Wikipedia, International Blasphemy Day encourages individuals and groups to openly express criticism of religion and blasphemy laws. It was founded in 2009 by the Center for Inquiry.

Religion, as a sector of the society, is the least criticised sector when compared with the rate at which we criticize other sectors, probably due to its sensitivity and the taboo associated with during such. We are almost, always, shy to talk about it when it has to do with religion, sometimes out of fear, sometimes out of "brainwash." Yes it's true modern religious practices have contributed greatly to value of humanity, example is an end to human sacrifice that plagued our traditional religion therefore giving man the right to live. Unfortunately, these same religions today are guilty of mental slavery of their followers.

Do I have a religion? Yes I do. Is my religion guilt too? Of course yes. I believe it is wrong when my religion law supercedes the law of the land. Like other sectors, religion should be at the service of man and not man at the service of religion. But because of greed, selfishness and misinformation, man's evil agenda has strived under the canopy of religion. Whenever we criticise our religious leaders on their wrong doings, they are quick to quote touch not my anointed. Can you imagine that people were once killed because they believed the earth was sphere and not flat as one of the Holy books suggested. Coming home, once in this country many people had to die because of a cartoon they knew nothing about. So I ask where is our value for life?

Criticism of some Jewish religious practices birthed Christianity, criticism of some religious beliefs birthed scientific innovations, criticism of some old Catholic practices birthed other denominations. So you see, criticism isn't all wrong, but a powerful tool for movement and change, feared my those that lord over us in religious affairs.

So as we criticize the economic sector in this recession era, the political sector for failed promises, the health sector for inadequacies, power sector for perpetual darkness, telecommunication for poor sevice, let us also speak up and speak out against any religious idea that has held us in mental bondage for ages. As a former president of this great nation once said that his election is not worth dying for, I also share the notion that no religious belief, idea, or practice is worth killing for. But while doing that, let us criticize constructively not disrepecting, offending, or imposing our idea on others, so we don't infringe on others right to own their idea.

Amberacious (c) 2016.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Actress Apologises For 'offensive Hug' On Set / Happy New Year 2017 Wishes / Info@internationalchristianuniversity.org

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.