Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,356 members, 7,850,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:02 PM

What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? (992 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? / Tithing Should Be Redundant Now! / What does the Bible says about Christian suffering, should a Christian suffer??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Sep 30, 2016
Should a Christian tithe? Does a Christian always have to give 10% to the church?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by ammyluv2002(f): 6:56pm On Sep 30, 2016
A Christian should always tithe. There are bible passages to prove it.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by benedictgold(m): 7:20pm On Sep 30, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Should a Christian tithe? Does a Christian always have to give 10% to the church?
When it comes to Christianity, don't rely on the opinion of other people. That is why God gave us the Bible so we can search and find ourselves ourselves. 2nd Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
God is ultimately gonna hold you for every decision u make even if it's ur pastor that ask you to make it.
This is a controversial issue so you will have different answers, which one will you choose?
That being said I believe you should pay your tithe, forget all who say it went with the law and old testament.
Yes many other things about tithing that came about the law ended when Jesus died but tithing itself was before the law. Concise explanation
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by annunaki2(m): 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2016
ammyluv2002:
A Christian should always tithe. There are bible passages to prove it.

I am yet to see a single scripture that remotely even suggests that Christians should tithe money from their income. And please don't even quote malachi 3:10 to me cause it wasn't addressed to Christians neither was it talking about monetary tithe.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by benedictgold(m): 10:47am On Oct 01, 2016
annunaki2:

I am yet to see a single scripture that remotely even suggests that Christians should tithe money from their income. And please don't even quote malachi 3:10 to me cause it wasn't addressed to Christians neither was it talking about monetary tithe.
Luke 11:42 New Living Translation
"What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Jesus said this. You see Jesus didn't speak at length about tithing cos even the Pharisees we're diligent in tithing, people of the time of Jesus knew about tithing and how important it was that Jesus didn't waste time teaching about it cos there were more important things to teach. I could go on and on but typing isn't my thing but I want you to read that passage and meditate deeply on it then feel free to ask questions
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by annunaki2(m): 2:26pm On Oct 01, 2016
benedictgold:

Luke 11:42 New Living Translation
"What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Jesus said this. You see Jesus didn't speak at length about tithing cos even the Pharisees we're diligent in tithing, people of the time of Jesus knew about tithing and how important it was that Jesus didn't waste time teaching about it cos there were more important things to teach. I could go on and on but typing isn't my thing but I want you to read that passage and meditate deeply on it then feel free to ask questions

Jesus was addressing pharisees who were under the law and not Christians who are under grace in that passage. Also they were tithing herbs and spices and not money. The word "income" in the translation you used is probably a deliberate error to insinuate monetary tithes as money from income was never used as tithes in biblical times. Monetary tithes is a modern day invention of gospel merchants.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
MUST a christian tithe? No

The new law has abolished the archaic practices of the old (blood sacrifies, lighting candles grin AND tithing)

Should a christian GIVE (of his own volition; freely and willingly) to the church

YES.

Giving sef in the new testament was to:

1) Help the church of Jerusalem during Famine

2) Sustain the ministers and workers of God

3) for the elderly, widowed or ophaned.

Others.........na wash grin

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by Rilwayne001: 3:02pm On Oct 01, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

OLAADEGBU, why do you give your tithe money to Pastor Kumuyi? shocked angry grin
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by Rilwayne001: 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2016
annunaki2:

But your uncle, trithmans2012 gives tithe to Adeboye, what do you have to say about that?

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by annunaki2(m): 3:15pm On Oct 01, 2016
Rilwayne001:

But your uncle, trithmans2012 gives tithe to Adeboye, what do you have to say about that?

And how is that your business
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by Rilwayne001: 3:17pm On Oct 01, 2016
annunaki2:

And how is that your business

None grin
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by benedictgold(m): 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2016
annunaki2:

Jesus was addressing pharisees who were under the law and not Christians who are under grace in that passage. Also they were tithing herbs and spices and not money. The word "income" in the translation you used is probably a deliberate error to insinuate monetary tithes as money from income was never used as tithes in biblical times. Monetary tithes is a modern day invention of gospel merchants.

Yes Jesus was talking to the Pharisees but it was also the Jews, cos from the passage it clearly shows that the Jews were paying tithe. Now tithe is one tenth of ur income, you don't have to necessarily pay money but you and I know that nowadays it is money everybody earns. We are no longer in the old days of trade by batter, everybody earns in money so it is only logical to pay your tithe in money and it is even easier to calculate that way.
And let me add. Tithing isn't a law. Tithing started with Abraham before the law. So when the law was abolished, it was all those little things the law said concerning tithing that was abolished but tithing itself cannot be abolished with the law cos it didn't come with the law
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by annunaki2(m): 5:33am On Oct 02, 2016
benedictgold:

Yes Jesus was talking to the Pharisees but it was also the Jews, cos from the passage it clearly shows that the Jews were paying tithe. Now tithe is one tenth of ur income, you don't have to necessarily pay money but you and I know that nowadays it is money everybody earns. We are no longer in the old days of trade by batter, everybody earns in money so it is only logical to pay your tithe in money and it is even easier to calculate that way.
And let me add. Tithing isn't a law. Tithing started with Abraham before the law. So when the law was abolished, it was all those little things the law said concerning tithing that was abolished but tithing itself cannot be abolished with the law cos it didn't come with the law

Tithing in the bible had absolutely nothing to do with income even though people were earning monetary income as far back as genesis in the bible. It was strictly from agricultural produce and not any other income earned then. That said abraham's tithe was a one off tithe based on the customs of his people and not God's instructions so we have no business tithing based on abraham's tithe.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:36am On Oct 05, 2016
Rilwayne001:

OLAADEGBU, why do you give your tithe money to Pastor Kumuyi? shocked angry grin

As Annunaki said: 'How is that your business'?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
Does a Christian always have to give 10% to the church?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christian Tithing? Should A Christian Tithe? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:05am On Oct 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html

(1) (Reply)

The Biggest Church In PH Set To Mingle Singles On Sunday 27th Nov @ 5pm / Is The Jehovah's Witness Religion Christianity? / Houston Megachurch Lakewood Leader Joel Osteen New Memes And Images Trending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.