Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. (826 Views)

Stammering Vs Stuttering / How To Get Rid Of Stuttering/stammering / Stammering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by adanny01(m): 9:49pm On Oct 02, 2016
This year my son clocked 4 in April. Out of the blues he started stumbling on some words. When we expected that his sentences was about to get better he began to stutter usually on the first or second words of the sentence. I initially thought he was imitating a stammerer from school. It seem to be increasing and am getting worried.

I did searches on Google which confirmed that stammering stars between 1-5yrs of age and disappears in a lot of children.I also read it runs in the family, I am aware of a maternal cousin who loses speech entirely when anxious (one time she became stonned as pastor called on her to pray during church service). Am only worried that if my son's case does not disappear then I fear for him. I fear for the stigma and his self esteem.

I love my child and am very much concerned about it. Most of what I read has encouraged me to not look at it as a problem but help to reassure him off his challenge which i think he is oblivious to right now.

1 Like

Re: Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by Temitoppe(m): 10:37pm On Oct 02, 2016
tell it to God in prayer
Re: Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 02, 2016
Put him in ur prayers daily and also don't forget to be supportive to him and acknowledge the difficulty in a matter-of-fact way, so that he doesn't feel criticised.
Re: Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by helovesme(f): 12:19am On Oct 03, 2016
It's a good thing that you've noticed it early at this stage. Early intervention/treatment is key and yes, stammering is sometimes hereditary.

Get a speech therapist to work with him. If you are based in Lagos, there's one at illupeju.

As his father, research online on what you can do to help him. If you are patience and consistent, you will see remarkable results.

Have you seen the movie, "the king's speech"? You should watch it as it tells the story of a British King and his battle with stammering and how he overcame it with therapy.

2 Likes

Re: Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by adanny01(m): 3:29pm On Oct 04, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
helovesme:
It's a good thing that you've noticed it early at this stage. Early intervention/treatment is key and yes, stammering is sometimes hereditary.

Get a speech therapist to work with him. If you are based in Lagos, there's one at illupeju.

As his father, research online on what you can do to help him. If you are patience and consistent, you will see remarkable results.

Have you seen the movie, "the king's speech"? You should watch it as it tells the story of a British King and his battle with stammering and how he overcame it with therapy.

Am based in the north. I will researching for a Dr around here. I have seen the movie and loved it very much.
Re: Stammering/stuttering In A 4yr Old, How Do I Help My Child?. by helovesme(f): 5:14am On Oct 06, 2016
adanny01:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Am based in the north. I will researching for a Dr around here. I have seen the movie and loved it very much.

What part of the north are you based?

There should be a speech therapist so someone with the expertise to tell you what to do.

As his father, you have a major role to play. Go to YouTube. Many videos available to help. Read online on what you can do. Buy books on self help. Most importantly be patient and very consistent as that's the only way you will see results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2_mgt87g1Y

(1) (Reply)

11 Healthy Nutrition Facts About Tapioca / Nigerian Lady Surprisingly Wakes Up With Swollen Eye, After A 20 Minutes Nap. / Natural Remedy For The Treatment Of Varicose Veins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.