Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy (2400 Views)

Meet Aarinola Olaiya Who Broke 28-Year-Old Record In Medicine In OAU / Olosunde Aderonke Oyindamola Who Did Project Work On 'Jenifa's Diary English' / Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 03, 2016
Japanese microbiologist Yoshinori Ohsumi on Monday won the 2016 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine for his work on cell autophagy, a process that helps the body remove unwanted proteins but can also lead to conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease.

Ohsumi, 71, of the Tokyo Institute of Technology is credited with discovering the mechanisms that allow cells to break down and recycle unwanted components. They enclose the item in a sack and then transport it to a recycling unit known as a lysosome for destruction.

“Difficulties in studying the phenomenon meant that little was known until, in a series of brilliant experiments in the early 1990’s, Yoshinori Ohsumi used baker’s yeast to identify genes essential for autophagy,” the Nobel committee said in its citation.

“He then went on to elucidate the underlying mechanisms for autophagy in yeast and showed that similar sophisticated machinery is used in our cells.”

It said his work led to understanding of the “fundamental importance” of autophagy in many physiological processes, such as in the adaptation to starvation or response to infection.

Ohsumi is the 25th Japanese to win a Nobel Prize, including individuals who later obtained citizenship of other countries.

About Him
Yoshinori Ohsumi was born February 9, 1945 in Fukuoka, Japan. He received a B.Sci. in 1967 and a D.Sci. in 1974, both from Tokyo University; from 1974-77 he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Rockefeller University in New York City.

He returned to The University of Tokyo in 1977 as a Research Associate; he was appointed Lecturer there in 1986, and promoted to Associate Professor in 1988. In 1996 he moved to the National Institute for Basic Biology in Okazaki City, Japan. where he was appointed Professor. From 2004 to 2009 he was also professor at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies in Hayama, Japan. In 2009 he transitioned to a three-way appointment as Emeritus Professor at the National Institute for Basic Biology and at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies, and a Professorship at the University of Tokyo.

But what is “autophagy”?

A simple translation is “self-eat”, but this is really about how cells recycle their contents. It might like sound an odd thing for a cell to do, but it has been known about since the 1960s, when scientists first noticed that cells can trash their innards by enclosing them in a membrane and transporting the sack of material to the cell’s recycling centre. Yoshinori Ohsumi identified a set of genes that control autophagy in baker’s yeast, and went on to show the same mechanism is at work in humans. This is how cells recycle their contents.

Here is why autophagy matters - courtesy of the Nobel Foundation:

We now know that autophagy controls important physiological functions where cellular components need to be degraded and recycled. Autophagy can rapidly provide fuel for energy and building blocks for renewal of cellular components, and is therefore essential for the cellular response to starvation and other types of stress. After infection, autophagy can eliminate invading intracellular bacteria and viruses. Autophagy contributes to embryo development and cell differentiation. Cells also use autophagy to eliminate damaged proteins and organelles, a quality control mechanism that is critical for counteracting the negative consequences of ageing.

Disrupted autophagy has been linked to Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and other disorders that appear in the elderly. Mutations in autophagy genes can cause genetic disease. Disturbances in the autophagic machinery have also been linked to cancer. Intense research is now ongoing to develop drugs that can target autophagy in various diseases.

Awards

Fujihara Award, Fujihara Foundation of Science (2005)
Japan Academy Prize, Japan Academy (2006)
Asahi Prize, Asahi Shimbun (2009)
Kyoto Prize for Basic Science (2012)
Gairdner Foundation International Award (2015)
International Prize for Biology (2015)
Keio Medical Science Prize (2015)
Wiley Prize in Biomedical Sciences (2016)
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2016)

http://www.mrmayormedia.com/2016/10/yoshinori-ohsumi-wins-nobel-prize-in.html

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2016
cc Lalasticlala
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by paranorman(m): 11:38am On Oct 03, 2016
Gotta work harder till I win noble prices, till I become bigger than the prices. God, give me what I have been asking for amen.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 03, 2016
amen
paranorman:
Gotta work harder till I win noble prices, till I become bigger than the prices. God, give me what I have been asking for amen.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by adekayo1234(m): 12:45pm On Oct 03, 2016
I am on course to be d next Nobel prize winner...
My discovery: gene responsible for insatiable greed of politicians
Relevance to life: Those genes can be silenced and our people can live a better life.... Wish me luck grin

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 03, 2016
wish you GOODLUCK grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
adekayo1234:
I am on course to be d next Nobel prize winner...
My discovery: gene responsible for insatiable greed of politicians
Relevance to life: Those genes can be silenced and our people can live a better life.... Wish me luck grin
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by incrediboooh(m): 2:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
Dahz kul.....got mine in 1991 anyways cool

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
Waw, waw,

A round of applause for this handsome old man.

The name tho.. . .. o sun mi.. The man try

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2016
seun mynd44
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Gerrard59(m): 7:25pm On Oct 03, 2016
Congratulations to man. I followed the news closely.

Another reason I encourage our best and brightest to go to top universities. University of Tokyo is Asian 2nd best university according to the QS rankings, best according to the ARWU.

You must not necessarily go to say the UK to get the best education which is quite expensive, when same can be gotten from Asian schools at an affordable rate.
Better still, why go to University of Reading which is not in the top 100 when you can go to Kyoto University (top 100)? Ditto University of Westminster when you can try Nanyang Technological University (12th best QS rankings)?

If na language, learn am. It was profitable to learn how to read and write in the 20th century, learning a second language is the 21st century.

Waiting for Physics, Chemistry, Economics and Peace (always controversial). Literature can go to hell. grin

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2016
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
Still wondering why this post can't make front page

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Gerrard59(m): 10:12pm On Oct 03, 2016
amoduokoh:
Still wondering why this post can't make front page

He won the Nobel prize in Medicine or Physiology not the Snake catching award. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Rapmoney(m): 10:41pm On Oct 03, 2016
This post deserves front page.

Anyway, I hope Professor Oturugbeke and his gang of imaginary professors are witnessing this?

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by genearts(m): 1:46am On Oct 04, 2016
Nigerian profs wen no know anything. Mtcheww
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by davidif: 3:12am On Oct 04, 2016
Gerrard59:
Congratulations to man. I followed the news closely.

Another reason I encourage our best and brightest to go to top universities. University of Tokyo is Asian 2nd best university according to the QS rankings, best according to the ARWU.

You must not necessarily go to say the UK to get the best education which is quite expensive, when same can be gotten from Asian schools at an affordable rate.
Better still, why go to University of Reading which is not in the top 100 when you can go to Kyoto University (top 100)? Ditto University of Westminster when you can try Nanyang Technological University (12th best QS rankings)?

If na language, learn am. It was profitable to learn how to read and write in the 20th century, learning a second language is the 21st century.

Waiting for Physics, Chemistry, Economics and Peace (always controversial). Literature can go to hell. grin

I have always wondered why Nigerians went to some of those second rate schools in Ghana or the UK when u can go to good schools in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Israel like the University of Tel- Aviv etc

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by iHart(m): 5:04am On Oct 04, 2016
Waiting for chemistry
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by kehinde1588(m): 6:30am On Oct 04, 2016
Its like Google don't recognize the name yet abi Google think say the man na Yoruba man. See what I got when I typed the name on Google.

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 04, 2016
kehinde1588:
Its like Google don't recognize the name yet abi Google think say the man na Yoruba man. See what I got when I typed the name on Google.

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Gerrard59(m): 8:11am On Oct 04, 2016
davidif:

I have always wondered why Nigerians went to some of those second rate schools in Ghana or the UK when u can go to good schools in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Israel like the University of Tel- Aviv etc
Thank you.

Apart from South Africa or maybe Kenya, I don't see why someone should go to Ghana - studying in Africa.

Japan, South Korea, Singapore are Asian countries with some of the best educational systems especially in STEM related disciplines.

Someone will leave the National University of Singapore and go to University of Bradford for say Mechanical Engineering? cheesy

Or London Metropolitan University and set aside the Chinese University of Hong Kong? shocked
Israel has got good schools too - Hebrew University, Technion Institute of Technology etc. Good schools, affordable, different cultures, minimal immigration brouhaha.

....... And after all this write up, someone will go to the American University of Houdegbe Benin Republic. grin

http://www.topuniversities.com

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 04, 2016
very true bro
Gerrard59:

Thank you.

Apart from South Africa or maybe Kenya, I don't see why someone should go to Ghana - studying in Africa.

Japan, South Korea, Singapore are Asian countries with some of the best educational systems especially in STEM related disciplines.

Someone will leave the National University of Singapore and go to University of Bradford for say Mechanical Engineering? cheesy

Or London Metropolitan University and set aside the Chinese University of Hong Kong? shocked
Israel has got good schools too - Hebrew University, Technion Institute of Technology etc. Good schools, affordable, different cultures, minimal immigration brouhaha.

....... And after all this write up, someone will go to the American University of Houdegbe Benin Republic. grin

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by davidif: 8:57am On Oct 04, 2016
Gerrard59:

Thank you.

I think the main cause of this is ignorance. You don't know what you don't know. Most Nigerians don't know much of anything outside the west (specifically the US and the UK) so they just go with what they have heard from other people or they simply go to schools where there friends go to.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by davidif: 5:08am On Oct 31, 2016
Gerrard59:

Thank you.

Funny that you talk about the Technion, its Israel's elite technical university. I was just watching a doc on the booming Israeli start up industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7n11XAYp7k
Re: Breaking: Yoshinori Ohsumi Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Work On Autophagy by Gerrard59(m): 10:47pm On Nov 01, 2016
davidif:

Funny that you talk about the Technion, its Israel's elite technical university. I was just watching a doc on the booming Israeli start up industry.

Wow. Having more start-ups than even the UK, Germany, China? shocked

I have read countless times about the Israeli story and her army (something the Singaporeans have copied - but not the start-up culture). Our army's job is to delve into the business of petrol stations https://www.nairaland.com/3039574/armys-mega-fuel-station-minna . This I attribute to her unity and cohesiveness. If Nigeria wants to get developed, as citizens, we need to restructure the country and ensure unity is enthroned - for without it we're going nowhere. As a race, we have a long way to go. If Nigeria gets it right, things will get better, however, blacks (even South Africa is flattering) inhabit Nigeria. Another thing that needs to be solved is the Nigerian mentality, it's something I experience daily - very sickening.

Could such scientific research be conducted in Nigeria? NO. Not when there's no constant power supply to power a basic scientific experiment that requires a -80 C freezer.

As for the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, it's seen as the MIT of Israel and we all know what it means for an institute to be seen as an MIT cheesy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See 57 Fake Nigerian Universities In 2019 – Your Certificate Is Useless If You A / Lagos State Scholarship Award Is Out / Laotech Post Ume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.