Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,823 members, 7,828,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. (25397 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: CBN Will NOT Devalue Naira, Mulls Proposal For New Forex Window / The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? / Pls, What Does It Mean To Devalue Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by mrvitalis(m): 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2016
Abdulhakeem7:
No sane manufacturer will import its raw materials if they can be available in Nigeria,so for manufacturer to import its raw materials it means dos materials aren't available here in Nigeria. Don't forget dat closeness to raw material source can help d manufacturer make cheaper products.
Indomie and yale import wheat.. . Do t we have wheat here?? They are more expensive thats y
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Sibrah: 10:11pm On Oct 04, 2016
mrvitalis:

Indomie and yale import wheat.. . Do t we have wheat here?? They are more expensive thats y
You partially right. At some point in time it will be cheap to get these raw materials locally due to high dollar rate. It will make more peopld go into wheat farming.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Abdulhakeem7(m): 10:42pm On Oct 04, 2016
mrvitalis:

if it's cheaper to import then dats gud for both d manufacturers and d consumers
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by grandstar(m): 11:19pm On Oct 04, 2016
soberdrunk:

Bros after work today, go to the nearest bar and take "3 bottles" of whatever it is you drink and one plate of fish peppersoup then send me the bill!!! This man here understands the Nigerian economy better than our British accent aunty!! IT IS NOT "ROCCKET SCIENCE" and you dont need years in Harvard to understand what is happening..........................

The primary reason why the currency is loosing value is collapse in oil prices from $110 to about $40.

So let's 1 trillion naira before was chasing $10b, now you have 1 trillion chasing $5b with the collapse in oil prices. What do you think will happen to the naira? Increase in value or nosedive in value? Your guess is as good as mine
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by musicwriter(m): 11:21pm On Oct 04, 2016
So far, everything is going as I predicted them.

1. The ugly truth is they would eventually corner Buhari to devalue the Naira to enable them buy up our national assets for pennies. Remember, they know we are about to sell some national assets. They want to buy at the cheapest price possible.

2. If Buhari refuse to devalue, then they'll wait for us to collect all the loans from world bank, IMF, China, and once we have the money they'll tweak their own currency or crash the global oil price again to make the loan money useless.

Either ways, what they want is access to buy everything of value in Nigeria. Unfortunately, they'll succeed.

Expect the Naira at N1,000/$1, before Buhari leave office.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Doubleagent008(m): 11:26pm On Oct 04, 2016
haha!! them still want make this naira devalue again? them sha wan make Naija wreck.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by grandstar(m): 11:29pm On Oct 04, 2016
ATERI:
During the economic crisis of 2008, why was it that this EU didn`t devalue the Euro in order to make them more competitive. quantitative easing was good then but not good for us now? Too many evil forces around!

Scenarios are different.

Inflation was very low or even negative. Inflationary pressure was low.

Also, the Euro can not unilaterally devalue because it is shared by many countries.

Also, it the UK and US, the 2 most liberal economies that quickly applied pump priming and quantity easing. This did not lead to inflation of consumer goods but rather those of assets.

The conservative Euro zone waited till 2014 or so before applying quantitative easing which naturally leads to a drop in value of the currency..

1 Like

Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by grandstar(m): 11:32pm On Oct 04, 2016
rhektor:
That's was how they killed the economy of Greece, stoopid people. As if we've not had enough of this devaluation. naira is now 470 + to a dollar what else do they want?
Mtchewwwwwwwww

They are telling you to devalue the official rate and not the black market
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by vectoh(m): 12:46am On Oct 05, 2016
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by ATERI(m): 2:11am On Oct 05, 2016
grandstar:

Scenarios are different.

Inflation was very low or even negative. Inflationary pressure was low.

Also, the Euro can not unilaterally devalue because it is shared by many countries.

Also, it the UK and US, the 2 most liberal economies that quickly applied pump priming and quantity easing. This did not lead to inflation of consumer goods but rather those of assets.

The conservative Euro zone waited till 2014 or so before applying quantitative easing which naturally leads to a drop in value of the currency..

I see the point you are making, but you know that America started this call for the devaluation of our currency. Why the desperation on their part to force us into currency devaluation when it was rarely their own first choice? How can it be more advantageous for Nigeria that produces next to nothing to devalue her currency and import at exorbitant costs as a result, but the EU that is one of the largest economic bloc in the world, producing and exporting everything, not see devaluation as very attractive before all other options? Our currency is a mess already and they are saying we should devalue it further and you seem to be in agreement with that, what are we going to gain from it? I will like your input on the merits of further devaluation for Nigeria

With due respect, the European Central Bank is responsible for the fiscal and monetary policies of the EU as a whole
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by rhektor(m): 7:20am On Oct 05, 2016
grandstar:

They are telling you to devalue the official rate and not the black market

Officially it is over 300 so what the heck?
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by omohayek: 7:31am On Oct 05, 2016
grandstar:

The primary reason why the currency is loosing value is collapse in oil prices from $110 to about $40.

So let's 1 trillion naira before was chasing $10b, now you have 1 trillion chasing $5b with the collapse in oil prices. What do you think will happen to the naira? Increase in value or nosedive in value? Your guess is as good as mine

But the reason why oil prices have such an influence on the currency's exchange rate is because the domestic economy is insufficiently insulated from the effects of oil revenue - which is why establishing a sovereign wealth fund (rather than simply spending all the oil income as it comes in) is so important.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by MKO4ever(m): 7:48am On Oct 05, 2016
oothoney:

they can only half it for you..once the ticket is wriitten, you have to pay

thats jst the first part..to get your vehicle released. every day in the park is 1000
vulcanizer is 500
gate fee is 1000

then to get your key..they will ask for your tax clearence ( hope you are employed by a good organization, otherwise you will be asked to produce your tax id)

My bro..avoiding them is better than the stress they will put you through

you can google vio directory and get their head number( Engr Toriola), plead with him and might be able to help you get it reduced

Thank you so much, I met with Engr. Adegboyega Toriola, he is the Chief Vehicle Inspection Officer. very calmed man and he calmly listened to me and calmly told me there is nothing he could do about it. Some guys advised me to go to one Office at Alausa that I could get about N10,000.00 reduction. My car is still with them right now, but I will ensure it leaves there today.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by TheSociopath(m): 8:17am On Oct 05, 2016
Please, let's adopt the British pounds again! Let britain control our economy
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 05, 2016
amyzon:

U want solution? One and only solution is to restructure, government does not have any business in business. There business should be proper taxing only. Did u listen to tramp and Clinton debate, did u hear them talk about managing their countries oil industry or energy e t c. All they talked was proper taxing of people and companies. Make the ground safe for businesses to grow, remove UR hands complete from business and tax right, the higher u earn d higher tax u pay. Manage our present limited earning well and stop borrowing. Cut UR coat according to UR earning, if u can't afford a driver, don't employ a driver, drive UR self and if u don't know how to drive, learn how to drive
I have finally seen someone with SENSE, I was telling some people recently when we were debating about the sales of the "National Assets" I told them to look at developed countries and tell me how many of them ran businesses. Those governments don't run businesses, they only make the environment favourable for businesses to thrive and they do this through implementation of policies, then get money through tax and royalties. I asked them, "why do you think bankruptcy is a crime in those climes ?" No one said anything.

1 Like

Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by grandstar(m): 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2016
rhektor:

Officially it is over 300 so what the heck?

The difference between the official rate and the black market must never be more than 3%. What is the difference now?
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by 14(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2016
frehage:

Please, could you let us in on why the government prints money? One reason I know why they do that is to convert our dollar earnings to Naira.

If the government stops printing money, where will they get the Naira equivalent of our petrodollars earnings to distribute to the three tiers of government as monthly allocation?

Will that not lead to Naira crunch in the economy? How will they mitigate currency scarcity?

How do countries with strong currencies like South Africa, Kuwait, etc, incorporate their dollar( foreign exchange) revenues into their economies without resulting in the evil continuum of excess liquidity, weakening currency, biting inflation and growth inhibiting high interest rates as is the case in Nigeria?

Can you give an example of a related country that does it right?

South african financial liquidity is deep. South africa per day transect $1.4bn in one day, whereas nigeria on average transect roughly $40m, you see the different.

South african central bank does not interfer in the forex exchange, its currency is determined by market value, its 100% floated. The Rand is the heavily traded currency in the world, so it moves every seconds depending on selling or buying it. But nigeria on the other hand depends only on the dollar oil.
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by 14(m): 11:28pm On Oct 05, 2016
grandstar:

The difference between the official rate and the black market must never be more than 3%. What is the difference now?

official rate is N305mto the $1 and on the parallel market is at N490 to the dollar, see the difference. The different is 60%, so no foreigner investor who is well in his mind will ever bring his dollars in nigeria at N305 and the parallel market is at N490. The gap is just too big, the CBN must just step back and stop interference on the forex market.

1 Like

Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by ryanfci: 11:55pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hi Guys,

Any business owners that need to send payments to suppliers or partners in USD or other currencies, then we can help at FCI.

We are an FCA regulated broker based on the outskirts of London, and have the liquidity available to move up to $5million USD or equivalent per day.

We can offer a rate of N424/1USD, much better than the current black market rate, and the payments land with the beneficiary in 2-3 days.

Naira must come from a non-resident (business) account, and be for legitimate trading reasons.

Contact me on ryan.williams@fci-ltd.co.uk for further information on what is required to set up an account.

All the best
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Ade3000yrs(m): 8:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
I trust Buharri administration to do the needful and I strongly believe Buharri will never entertain such nonsense under his nose. we have great economists in Nigeria that knows whats best. Europe is already dying out as it is a pile of amassed debt looking for the dependant and developing nations to absorb its mess and excesses it has created in the Eurozone. Any attempt to devalue the Naira is an attempt to buy over the debt of the developing Nation when we ourselves are near death experience already. The world is in a global mess again and the foreign exchange and capital market readings and openings will only continue to worsen situation to make profit without regards for small and medium scale enterprise. D only way out for Nigeria is to humble yourself and gladly embrace agriculture with an unmirred and uncompromising integrity
Re: Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. by Ade3000yrs(m): 8:19pm On Oct 06, 2016
musicwriter:
So far, everything is going as I predicted them.

1. The ugly truth is they would eventually corner Buhari to devalue the Naira to enable them buy up our national assets for pennies. Remember, they know we are about to sell some national assets. They want to buy at the cheapest price possible.

2. If Buhari refuse to devalue, then they'll wait for us to collect all the loans from world bank, IMF, China, and once we have the money they'll tweak their own currency or crash the global oil price again to make the loan money useless.

Either ways, what they want is access to buy everything of value in Nigeria. Unfortunately, they'll succeed.

Expect the Naira at N1,000/$1, before Buhari leave office.
Bro I strongly disagree with you that Buharri will fall for their tricks and games, even if the worst come to it that Nigeria bleeds at d point of death, people into farming and local production and industrial venture will escape the trap nets and hardship while the rest service and less agro allied and less industrial oriented suffers. we just must have scape goats and sacrificial lamb to bleed for the rest of Nigerians to survive. thats d theory of demand and supply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigeria Officially Exits Recession, GDP Grew 0.55 In Q2 / How To Start Mini Importation Business In Nigeria / 41 Exempted Items: FG Dumps CBN’s Forex Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.