Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,459 members, 7,954,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:38 AM

Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? (15591 Views)

Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Let's Talk About Automatic Transmission Fluid (gear Oil) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by columbus007(m): 8:48am On Oct 05, 2016
Op,ur question is like asking if ogogoro is quite different from ordinary water,these two thgs look similar bt very different get a sound mec for ur automobile.
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by ericmor: 8:56am On Oct 05, 2016
From what I heard from auto tip, they both the same is just the english. One is British why the other is american and was told to use the one that best suit your car and as long u using it and doesn't give problem, is ok
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by joto(m): 9:13am On Oct 05, 2016
Check the CAR'S MANUAL and inscription on the cap covering the steering fluid container for specified fluid type. most Toyota recommend same fluid for power steering and Transmission.
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by xreal: 9:18am On Oct 05, 2016
Emo101:
To The Expert In The House Pls Is Power Sterring Fluid And Automatic Transmission Fluid The Samething Cos I Think I Just Pour The Automatic Transmission Fluid Into My Power Steering Tank Am Confused And What Is The Effect?Thank U All

Where is Sienna?
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by litaninja(m): 9:52am On Oct 05, 2016
READ YOUR MANUAL!!!
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by MightyThor(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2016
moringa180:
what of Toyota cars

I once had a small leak along my power steering line, ( 2.2 2001 Toyota camry) the whole fluid leaked on a deserted place and the steering became stiff. I had to use engine oil to top the tank intermittently and managed it like that home, next morning topped it again and drove it to my mechanic to fix it. I had made up my mind to "kill" the pump if necessary in order to leave that spot as quickly as possible.

Till date luckily I've never had issues with the pump, I was expecting it to seize due to the high viscosity of the 20w40 oil. Toyota really has a high tolerance for replacement parts in some cases.

1 Like

Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by Sleekbaby(f): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2016
They two different oils, ATF is for gear while the other one is for steering, they have different functions just that their viscosity is almost the same but their additives are different which mostly differentiates oils.
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2016
ATF is for gear, very different from Steering Fluid. And if you're using a Honda, using wrong ATF is a recipe for disaster.
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by xjiggy: 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
Knowledge is power. Read ur manual. Some vehicles prescribe ATM for both. Where otherwise specified... Follow instructions. P.S. this is a straight question. Give solution not abuse
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by xjiggy: 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
joto:
Check the CAR'S MANUAL and inscription on the cap covering the steering fluid container for specified fluid type. most Toyota recommend same fluid for power steering and Transmission.
Sienna 1998 - 2002 models recommend ATF for both
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by FlyboyZee: 1:36pm On Oct 05, 2016
ramdris:

The pics below shows the power steering fluid am using for my 05 accord...How is it?
Please, where did you buy it from and how much does it cost?
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by FlyboyZee: 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2016
luvinhubby:

shocked shocked

Most manuals will clearly instruct you not to use ATFs for steering fluids, but few Nigerian car owners bother to read their car manuals.

Transmission fluids are clearly different from steering fluids.
Please, do you have the steering fluid? And how much are you selling? I would have called you, but would rather you post it here so that most people would know its available in Nigeria and not as expensive as they thought, which most probably are the major reasons they are using ATF as power steering fluid. Thanks in advance...
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by ramdris(m): 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2016
FlyboyZee:

Please, where did you buy it from and how much does it cost?
Luvinhuby sold it to me....It's original..@ Oyingbo
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by andre82(m): 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2016
EMMYB0Y:
I use ATM for power steering ever since I have been driving it..HONDA CRV.... and no problem from anywhere......
Which one is ATM?
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by sultaan(m): 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
Depending on the manufacturer and model year there are cases where same fluid is used by both components e.g. early jeeps use atf+3
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by Denc: 11:01am On Mar 29, 2017
Some Toyota's may tolerate ATF as the power steering oil; please confirm from your car manual (NOT "friend", "mechanic", "rewire" or "workman" )!!
Honda's typically specify their ATF as different from the power steering oil. Once topped a Honda power steering with Honda ATF; the reaction was immediate (lots of noise from the pump). You may "manage" with products labelled as useful for both auto-transmission and power steering systems...but you'll only get perfect performance from a Honda power steering if you use their original recommended power steering fluid pictured on page 1 of this thread (speaking from experience)

1 Like

Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by TRAY2(m): 12:05pm On Mar 29, 2017
I use mobil atf for my 05 corolla
Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by magicfingers009: 7:18am On Aug 19, 2017
To answer OPs question and also remove the doubt of other readers, here's a screenshot of Honda's recommendation according to the manual. Read the highlighted part.

Re: Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? by sammiejr(m): 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2023
Good evening guys,

Please can I use "Abro Automatic transmission fluid" as power steering fluid. Just noticed mine is totally empty and my steering was making a noise.

My mechanic recommended it but I'm still sceptical.

My Car is a corolla 2006

Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.