Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,203 members, 7,811,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria (6304 Views)

Beautiful Shipping Container Homes Found In Kado, Abuja. (photos) / Shipping Container Housing In Nigeria (project Progress) / 16 Things You Should Know About Shipping Container Housing In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by Ignyte(m): 2:59pm On Oct 06, 2016
So, I was thinking about I will graduate and start service and leave my parents house. I now calculated how much it will cost to build a home for myself.
What if I said Two point five million naira could give you a Bachelors paradise. Now that would be confusing. But in this recession we need affordable plans and I have found one for Housing; 'CONTAINER HOMES'.

WHAT IS A CONTAINER HOME?
A container home is simply a home made from a shipping container. Now, we've all seen shops made from containers but trust me, homes from dontainers are another thing entirely and with perfect planning you could be living better than you imagine. Come with me and I'll put you through what I know, If anybody knows about this please epp me when I fall short of Answers...

WHAT YOU NEED?
Quoting Container Building expert Kevin Klein: "So you’re revved up and ready to make your container home dream a fantastic reality. You’ve learned about all of the advantages, weighed them against the potential pitfalls and you’re raring to get your hands on a couple of containers and start building.
The amazing price points and relative ease of building container homes when compared to traditional dwellings, has a lot of people very excited. After all, who wouldn’t want a beautiful, comfortable and fully functioning home, built in less than the time it takes to renovate a regular house and at a fraction of the cost of most homes on the market today? It’s an opportunity that almost seems too good to be true and many people are so captivated by the concept and even afraid that the opportunity won’t last, that they simply rush into their container home building project without doing their due diligence. While it’s true that container homes are growing in popularity, pushing material and labor prices slightly higher than they used to be, you can still afford to take the time to plan your property dream into a successful reality. What I always tell people who come to me for advice on building a container home is this: It’s perfectly normal to be excited about the perks of container home ownership but it’s certainly not a good idea to rush in blindly.
After all, though container homes are somewhat pre-fabricated structures and offer a much faster and convenient build than the average brick and mortar or wood frame home, they are still real houses and very real investments. Before you jump to purchase those containers or start working out an elaborate interior design scheme, pause for a moment to consider some very important points:

Planning Is the Key: You wouldn’t build a traditional home without taking the time to thoroughly map out your budget, schedule, restrictions and other factors and when it comes to building your container home, planning is equally essential.
I can’t tell you the number of disappointed would-be container homeowners who have started a build and have had to stop midway because they began without properly consulting
regulations, understanding the land they were building on or working out their real budget. You don’t want that to be you and with a little preliminary thought, it doesn’t have to be. While all home building journeys have their surprises and bumps along the way, I can tell you from experience that when a container home building project is properly planned out, the building phase can be extremely quick, enjoyable and fruitful.
With that in mind, here’s my list of the biggest mistakes to avoid when building your container home:

Don’t Build Without Local Knowledge: Get to know your local laws before you make a single move. This should go without saying, but a container home is still very much a real home and as such, is governed by the rules, regulations and laws of your local government. I always stress this point because nothing is worse than getting deep into your container home build, only to find out that you will have to tear everything down because local regulations weren’t followed. If you are lucky enough to be building your container home in an area that falls out of city zoning and is therefore not subject to regulations such as the need for a building permit, you can avoid much of the hassle and stress that come with the permit seeking process. However, this is pretty rare and most areas in the US and many around the globe are subject to building restrictions and regulations, so ensure that you’re certain about your area before moving ahead.
Building regulations and the process of acquiring permits differ vastly across various countries regions, states and even towns, making it impossible to provide one-size-fits all advice on the matter, so doing personal research is extremely important.

I recommend the following process: Begin by searching online for general information about building codes in your location. Draw up a list of specific questions and consult with a good local architect who has worked on container home building projects in your area for guidance. Work with this architect to draw up scaled architectural drawings and foundation plans that you can then present to your local public works building division, as part of your permit application.
Chances are very high that if you are working with an architect who has previously created plans for container homes that met with approval from your local planning department before, your plans will be approved too.

Don’t Forget to Factor in the Cost and the Wait: If you’ve never had to obtain building permits before, the process can come as quite a shock. It’s by no means cheap, costing
several thousands of dollars in many cases and is also quite a slow process. Be ready for a wait of anywhere from 9 to 13 weeks and factor both this wait and all associated costs into your total overall home building budget.

Don’t Forget to Firmly Define Your Budget (And Include Funds For Unforeseen Expenses!): Shipping container homes are often built for less than 10% of the price of a “regular” home but that doesn’t mean that you can afford to be lax about budgeting. All building projects have a tendency to end up costing more than they were originally intended to do and that holds just as true for container homes as it does for other types of homes. There will be unforeseen expenses. Trust me on this. No matter how tightly budgeted and controlled your project may be, this is simply a fact of building. That’s why I recommend that you keep two figures in mind-your total budget and your contingency allowance.
The most successful home builders tend not to view the total amount of money available to them for the build as their actual budget. Instead they remove at least 20 % from that number and label it as contingency money. This contingency money is set aside in order to pay for surprise expenses that often rear their ugly heads during the building process. The remaining funds are then viewed and used as the actual budget. This is because in the heat of the build, it’s easy to end up using much more money than you had initially intended to spend early on, leaving you with little left over to cover unforeseen expenses and eventually leading to a failed project. Putting at least 20% (you can also work out a higher contingency percentage, if you think you may need it.) is the best way to make sure that when that plumbing emergency or that permit application puts you over budget, you’ll still be able to complete your home. Don’t Wing the Design Process: Shipping container homes are a relatively new concept and as with many new ideas, there’s still some resistance to them from planning departments, due to their unfamiliar nature. In addition, though container home building lends itself very well to DIY, if this is your first time building with containers, it’s a good idea to work with an experienced professional to develop your 3 major plans.
These are: 1. Your container home’s structural layout plan: This plan should lay out in detail the precise locations of all features of your container home, including the kitchen, bathroom,
doors, windows etc.
2. Your container home’s water plan: This plan should display your entire plumbing lay out, showing both outgoing and incoming water and details regarding kitchen and bathroom features such as kitchen sink, bathroom sink, showers and toilets.
3. Your container home’s electrical layout plan: This should map out your electrification strategy, including all wiring, locations of switches, outlets, fuse box etc. If you’ll be using alternative energy sources like solar power, have a plan drawn up that includes your solar panels and all related details. Don’t Choose a Builder or Contractor Without Shipping Container Experience: If time restrictions or a lack of building knowledge mean that you’ll be working with a contractor throughout some or all of your home build, don’t make the all-too-common mistake of simply hiring any contractor, rather than one that has specific experience in building with containers.

Container structures are strong, sturdy and easy to build with, but only if you have a comprehensive understanding of their characteristics. A contractor with past container builds under the belt is much more likely to be able to use your containers to maximum benefit understand their strengths and challenges and help you to get the very best out of your design. A contractor without this knowledge can still help you create your container home, but will essentially be learning “on the job” and the results likely won’t be as spectacular, functional and durable as they could have been. In addition, a contractor who has built with shipping containers before will have a greater ability to save you money and keep your build on schedule. When selecting, make sure that you choose a contractor with recommendations from clients you can call and speak with. Many contractors also have online reviews and it’s important to gather as much relevant information about a potential contractor’s reputation, ability to finish a job on budget and on time and the ease of working with the contractor before signing a contract.
Now that we’ve gotten through all of those “Don’ts”, I’d like to add a definite “Do”. Do Get Inspired: If you’ve picked up this book, you’ve obviously already seen past the plain rectangular shape of the humble shipping container and have been able to understand the enormous design
potential that it actually hides. Begin your shipping container home building journey by seeking out the very best examples of container design from all around the world. A quick search online will bring up literally thousands of dazzling examples of clever container design and will be sure to fire up your creativity.
Having scoured the internet for the very best shipping container homes and structures from around the globe, here’s a list of my favorite resources to find inspiration:

Pinterest: This may be the clear winner as it offers carefully curated collections of amazing container structures of every type, from sleek, simple and modern to over-the-top multicontainer creations that would put any traditional home to shame. As an added bonus pinterest is also packed with useful information on planning, building, decorating and living in containers. There are dozens of very well-created and thought out free shipping container home plans as well.

Personal Building Blogs: While glossy pictures of sometimes forbiddingly expensive container homes are fun to look at, there’s nothing quite as inspiring as information and images from regular home owners who built affordable, livable and attractive container homes on limited budgets.
You’ll find dozens of these kinds of blogs online, featuring first time container home builders who did an excellent job and are more than happy to share detailed photos and stories of their building projects, from foundation to finishing, with you.

Facebook and Building Forums : This is more for assistance than images but what these resources lack in home photos, they more than make up for in container enthusiast groups, where members share tips, tricks, advice and warnings, helping to make sure that you stay motivated and on track throughout your build. Many first time builders use these pages to share plans, horror stories and recommend architects, container dealers and contractors. You’re very likely to find someone else who has already gone through the process of applying for permits and building in your local area who can correspond with you and provide real, location–specific advice.

YouTube: This may be surprising but actually YouTube videos provide a wealth of container home knowledge, exciting and educational images and tutorials that are very useful to the first time shipping container home builder. You’ll even find resources for detailed plans that have been successfully used by people all over the world to create both basic and elaborate
homes. ."

At this point let me bring in images... Show interest so I might continue

1 Like

Re: Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by BilginMarble(m): 8:24am On Apr 04, 2017
We are marble, onyx, travertine, granite manufacturer and exporter company from Turkey from our own quarries and factory.
Our abilities are supplying natural stones marble, Onyx and Granite as slabs, cut to size, custom dimensions and shapes as kitchen top, bathroom tops, bar designs etc. Other way is that: if you have any project, we may join with designing, application; especially villas, hotel and restaurants, office buildings etc. Depends on your position in market. My whatsapp is +905327607234 for more information and pictures.
And you may see our selections from following link:
https://www.facebook.com/exportmarble/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/bilgin.muhendislik/photos_albums

Best Regards,
Eng Kayhan
www.bilginmuhendisliktr.com
Re: Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by teekay619(m): 11:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
so how will i contact a container home contractor?
Re: Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by obua: 4:34am On Sep 10, 2017
teekay619:
check www.rapidcabin.com. 08066454544
Re: Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by kontekture: 10:30am On Feb 27, 2018
teekay619:

You can reach us at info@kontekture.com or call/whatsapp +2348025059733

We specialize in building container buildings in Nigeria.

www.kontekture.com
Re: Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria by glebben89: 6:58pm On May 13, 2022
Container homes are really nice and I live in one myself. The thing is living in one may seem great now, but few years down the line, you may find that the novelty wears off. So before you put the money down into building one, you really need to be 100% sure you're gonna be pleased with your potential living situation.

Sure, a container home is a smart, eco-friendly alternative to living in a traditional home, after a while however, you may find yourself hankering for the comforts of the latter. If you're 100% set on it, then awesome. Don't forget to take into account your space requirements before commencing with construction.

If you have a large family, or you're simply interested in having a lot of individual rooms, you'll likely need multiple shipping containers, which means a ton more work and customization compared to a house made out of a single cargo container. They are many other considerations of course.

As for me personally, I tremendously enjoy living in a container home. In general, container homes are inexpensive, efficient, and their environmentally friendly structures make for a truly unique place of residence.

Still, like very much all major projects, it's absolutely vital to anticipate every single snag that could get in your way. So be sure to plan ahead to ensure that your shipping container home project gets done right.

The reference materials presented here will help you plan ahead, figure out the snags, and get pretty much everything in your potential project done properly.

(1) (Reply)

Miniflat With 2toilets In Majek,ajah (pics Att) / 2 PLOTS OF LAND @ GOLDEN PEARL ESTATE (GAZETTED) SHAGOTEDO LAGOS. / Office & Kitchen Cabinet In 3D & FINISHED WRK Presentatn- Access Design Interior

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.