Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Meant For Better? Plain Lazy? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Meant For Better? Plain Lazy? (1362 Views)

Meant To Be / Meant To Be / For Better For Worse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meant For Better? Plain Lazy? by KORLAR(m): 10:20pm On Oct 06, 2016
The bright flaming orange ball of doom roused me. I groaned as I look out the window. There it was in its unrivaled glory, staring down.

You see, a day which starts with the sun as bright as this one always meant a long day for me.

I reluctantly pushed back my covers and all but crawled out of bed in search of my mother – who no doubt would be on one chore or the other – for our morning ritual.
The ritual consists of her giving me an earful of how a lady my age shouldn’t sleep as much as I do and I, looking or trying my best to look sober while scanning the grounds for signs of breakfast. The verbal dance always ended with an apology and a promise to desist from me and an indifferent grunt from my mother.

Until the next morning.

Today, she was bent over a tray of freshly cut pawpaws, carefully arranging them. I looked resentfully at the pawpaws and then at the sun as I chewed on a stick of pawpaw. It was going to be a really long day.
Balancing the tray on my well cushioned head, I set out.

And after a few hours of walking in the cursed sun, selling pawpaws to willing customers, fighting off the ones who simply wanted to ogle, engaging in playful banters with the old men who seemed confined to their radio sets and getting free bean cake balls from some traders, The weather began to change in my favour.

I smiled to myself as the sun began to feel drowsy and retreat into the comfort of the darkening clouds. I started to walk with the surety of an overworked woman who knew rest was around the corner.
And then it began. Gleaming silver gems from the sky slowly descended. I waited patiently to be adequately showered by my diamond droplets before I jumped on a bus going home.
I alighted a few minutes from home so I could trudge in the mud before I reached my house. My mother’s sympathy isn’t easily gotten but when it was, it overwhelmed.
And that. Was the goal.
The rained seemed to get heavier with each step I took and my smile, broader.
I wiped the smile off my face as my mother opened the door.

There I was, a pitiable sight.

I was rewarded with a sympathetic look as she grabbed the tray of pawpaws from my hands and wrapped me in a huge cloth. She banished me to my room not before a promise of a hot bath.
And well I did what I knew how to do best, I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed with one last thought. It wasn’t such a long day afterwards.
Until, I heard my mother scream from down the hallway.
“The sun is out! Wake up”

Source: http://coolstory.ng/coolZone/meant-for-better-plain-lazy/
Re: Meant For Better? Plain Lazy? by PrexyD(f): 10:34am On Jun 05, 2017
nice start grin
Re: Meant For Better? Plain Lazy? by PrexyD(f): 12:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
please continue

(1) (Reply)

Arrogant Beauty / He Who Breaks Many (Action Thriller) / My Life As An High Priestess.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.