Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? (1308 Views)

A Call For Help - Dismissed EFCC Diploma Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ekanDamie: 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2016
Dear All,
I was dismissed from coy on the bases of retrenchment for over a month now.
On further clarification i was tiped that it was due to health issues,
That recent medicals conducted showed i have a virus which can be transfered through sex or sharing of intimate properties.
So please i wanna ask is it lawful for me to be dismissed on this ground?
Thanks
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ahms12(m): 7:32pm On Oct 07, 2016
sorry O.no vex o.from the way you describes the virus its Likely to be HIV/AIDS. if truly it is. then they may dismiss you.sorry hard luck

1 Like

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by chillingbabe: 7:48pm On Oct 07, 2016
Have you confirmed It yourself from a genuine hospital if you truly have the virus? If it's HIV/AIDS, then yes it's lawful to dismiss you,so that you don't put other people's life at risk and your collegues won't be comfortable working with you. Sorry tho...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2016
Knowing the ways of Nigerians with overactive imaginations on social media I would first assume this story is a lie.
However I would still drop advice: if you were dismissed you cannot question or appeal the decision because it is company policy. It means regardless of it being right or wrong they would still enforce it for reasons best known to them.
A similar concept is the banning of individuals with tattoos from serving in the Nigerian police force. It makes no sense but people have to abide anyway.

1 Like

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by uboma(m): 8:16pm On Oct 07, 2016
chillingbabe:
Have you confirmed It yourself from a genuine hospital if you truly have the virus? If it's HIV/AIDS, then yes it's lawful to dismiss you,so that you don't put other people's life at risk and your collegues won't be comfortable working with you. Sorry tho...

it is against the law for a company to sack an employee because he is HIV positive.

With a good Lawyer, the op can sue the company and get compensated.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ekanDamie: 10:53am On Oct 08, 2016
uboma:

it is against the law for a company to sack an employee because he is HIV positive.

With a good Lawyer, the op can sue the company and get compensated.

charix:
Knowing the ways of Nigerians with overactive imaginations on social media I would first assume this story is a lie.
However I would still drop advice: if you were dismissed you cannot question or appeal the decision because it is company policy. It means regardless of it being right or wrong they would still enforce it for reasons best known to them.
A similar concept is the banning of individuals with tattoos from serving in the Nigerian police force. It makes no sense but people have to abide anyway.

ahms12:
sorry O.no vex o.from the way you describes the virus its Likely to be HIV/AIDS. if truly it is. then they may dismiss you.sorry hard luck

chillingbabe:

Actually guys, it is not HIV, its hepatitis B. I have not shown any symtoms yet, i just knew so its still fresh i guess and its treatable.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by dahmie2013: 11:08am On Oct 08, 2016
ekanDamie:

Actually guys, it is not HIV, its hepatitis B. I have not shown any symtoms yet, i just knew so its still fresh i guess and its treatable.
I think u shud be more worried about treating d disease dan focus on d dismissal. Don't u think so?

1 Like

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ekanDamie: 11:15am On Oct 08, 2016
dahmie2013:

I think u shud be more worried about treating d disease dan focus on d dismissal. Don't u think so?
But they are no free health centres are dey? One still needs money or a job to care for oneself.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by Zirah: 11:21am On Oct 08, 2016
It is not lawful. However, I'd advise you not to sue. Get yourself treated and move on. If you sue, chances are the case may escalate to 'public glare'. You don't want that. Even if you win the case, which you will, you'd have lost in the eyes of future prospective employers cos employers want people who are on their side, someone who's agreeable and not someone who fights or is against them. It's one of the reasons why the question "why did you leave your previous job" comes up in interviews.

Your being sacked now, whether or not for health reasons, isn't a determinant of how far you'll go in future. Leave them. Move on.

ekanDamie:

Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ekanDamie: 11:28am On Oct 08, 2016
Zirah:
It is not lawful. However, I'd advise you not to sue. Get yourself treated and move on. If you sue, chances are the case may escalate to 'public glare'. You don't want that. Even if you win the case, which you will, you'd have lost in the eyes of future prospective employers cos employers want people who are on their side, someone who's agreeable and not someone who fights or is against them. It's one of the reasons why the question "why did you leave your previous job" comes up in interviews.

Your being sacked now, whether or not for health reasons, isn't a determinant of how far you'll go in future. Leave them. Move on.

Im not even thinking of making a case with them. I just want to know the law stance on this. U seem enlightened, can i send u a mail, theres sometin illd like to share with u on this.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by Zirah: 11:43am On Oct 08, 2016
Sorry there! I'm hardly knowledgeable in these things. It was just a piece of advice. But if you still want to send a mail, it's cool then.

ekanDamie:

Im not even thinking of making a case with them. I just want to know the law stance on this. U seem enlightened, can i send u a mail, theres sometin illd like to share with u on this.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by dahmie2013: 1:03pm On Oct 08, 2016
ekanDamie:

But they are no free health centres are dey? One still needs money or a job to care for oneself.
I understand, but it's only wen u're healthy dat u can work. Dere must be some kind of solution.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
ekanDamie:

No where in my comment did I mention HIV/AIDS.
Ok, it's treatable. Go to a hospital, fix yourself then reapply for work or sue the company for discrimination. I'm beginning to think it was a medical organization you worked for because no bank, law firm or oil company would give a second thought.
If it was really HIV/AIDS then you would have no case against the company.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by ahms12(m): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2016
ekanDamie:

...I think you should stop worrying about your dismissal. thank God you detect it earlier. please you have to treat it fast. cos it's also deadly.
Re: Is It Lawful For Me To Be Dismissed On Health Grounds? by nmreports: 9:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
Only an expert in industrial and labour relations can help you with answers. If you are not one, no point making guesses for the op.

Like someone said, when you sue them it may become a story for the public to entertain themselves with and might stain your chances if employment in the future BUT you could try and withdraw if it's becoming argumentative with them.

To your answer, I do not know if it's lawful or not but what I do think is morally wrong or if it's right, unlawful is lying to you about it. Your employer or their HR department is committed to should be committed to protecting you physically, mentally, intellectually and health wise.

Just treat yourself and stay smart.

(1) (Reply)

Field Officer New Incentives Kaduna / How N-power Candidates Were Selected / Are You Resident Around Isolo/jakande Axis?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.