Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

10 Facts About Sickle Cell Disorder - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Facts About Sickle Cell Disorder (765 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / One In Every Four Nigerian Has Mental Disorder - Dr. Vincent Udenze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Facts About Sickle Cell Disorder by LordIbro(m): 8:53pm On Oct 07, 2016
1. Nigeria is the country with the highest burden of sickle cell disorder in the world
2. Over 150,000 babies are born each year with sickle cell anemia in Nigeria
3. Over 40 million Nigerians are carriers of the sickle cell gene
4. Due to lack of care, average life expectancy of people with sickle cell in Nigeria is still very low – less than 20 years; whereas in the US, it is now over 60 years; (i.e., in Nigeria, many still die young)
5. People with sickle cell usually suffer severe pain
6. Children with sickle cell can get stroke – which could be fatal which could leave them paralyzed for life
7. People with sickle cell sometimes suffer a breakdown or degeneration of the hip joint/bones and end up unable to walk
8. Persons with Sickle cell tend to suffer extensive, chronic leg ulcers or sores that cause them much debilitation and social isolation
9. Socially, they suffer stigma and discrimination
10. Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) is a cure for sickle cell, but it is not widely accessible and not everyone with sickle cell is a suitable candidate

http://so-dawn.com/2016/10/06/10-facts-about-sickle-cell-disorder/

(1) (Reply)

Must Read: Woman Gives Birth To Goat In Port Harcourt / Why Do I Lose Weight When I Eat More / What Most People Do To Prevent Unwanted Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.