Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) (6963 Views)

Java Program To Upload Picture On A Gui Platform / Mathematical GUI With Graphs Plotting / Learn To Create Apps, Websites And Games With C#, Java And More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) by losprince(m): 11:30pm On Oct 07, 2016
I was going through my c++ early projects and saw a couple of games I made with codeblocks and decided to pick this one and share how I made it.

If you are not familiar with the game here is how it is played;
the game is played on a board numbered 1 - 100
you roll a die, whatever you get you move your seed forward by that number, on the board snakes and ladders are strategically placed as obstacles and power ups, if you land at the bottom of a ladder you climb up to the top of that ladder, if you land at the head of a snake you frop to the tail of that snake.

you play the game against the computer, I built it this way because I had no friend who would play with me... they all lacked the finer points of no graphic games.

//first we include the includeables
//the game will require randomness for the die rolling

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
#include <string>

using namspace std; // so we can use 'cout << "Hello World"<<endl;' in the stead of 'std::cout << "Hello World"<<endl;'

//first let us declare a few neccessary functions

void board();//initialize function to draw the board

int check_progress();//initialize function to check game progress

int roll_dice();//initialize function to roll dice

//the we declare some variables

int roll; //holds the rolled value for the player
int computer_roll; //holds the rolled value for computer

int input; //variable to hold the users input, any number to roll dice and 0 to quit game, although entering a not a number value ends the game as well...

int progress; //holds the value for the progress

int player = 0;

int computer = 0;

//both player and computer's initial starting point is 0

int squares[99]; // for the 100 squares, computers right counts from 0

int main() //this is where it all goes down in c++, it's like the canvas for da vinci...
{
srand( time(NULL) ); //we need random numbers remeber?

string alert = ""; //to alert you for your triumphs and misfortunes
string computer_alert = ""; // to alert you for computer's triumphs and misfortunes

cout << "Welcome to snakes and ladders, enter any number to roll dice, press 0 to quit\n\n";
cout << "SNAKES\tLADDERS\n99-5\t4-36\n93-25\t8-28\n77-9\t20-41\n52-6\t35-67\n30-2\t45-66\n\n";

for ( int i = 1; i <= 100; i++) // this loop just makes it possible for us to give our squares values
{
squares[i] = i
}

do // every game is in some sort of loop
{
cout << "enter: ";
cin >> input;

roll = roll_dice();//player rolls dice

if( (roll + player) > 100)
{
player = player; //player has rolled a number that exceeds the end point player remains where they are
}
else
{
squares[player] = player;//overwrite the current position
player = player + roll;//move player to a new position
}

computer_roll = roll_dice();//computer rolls dice

if( (computer_roll + computer) > 100)
{
computer = computer; //computer has rolled a number that exceeds the end point, computer remains where it is
}
else
{
squares[computer] = computer;//overwrite the current position
computer = computer + computer_roll;//move computer to a new position
}

switch(player) // it is snakes and ladders, numbers represent the snakes and ladders
{
case 99:
player = 5;
alert = "OOPS... You ran into a SNAKE!";
break;

case 93:
player = 25;
break;

case 77:
player = 9;
break;

case 52:
player = 6;
break;

case 30:
player = 2;
break;

case 45:
player = 66;
alert = "YAY! you climbed a ladder!!!";
break;

case 35:
player = 67;
break;

case 20:
player = 41;
break;

case 8:
player = 28;
break;

case 4:
player = 36;
break;

default:
alert = "";

}

switch(computer)
{
case 99:
computer = 5;
computer_alert = "OOPS... Computer ran into a SNAKE!";
break;

case 93:
computer = 25;
break;

case 77:
computer = 9;
break;

case 52:
computer = 6;
break;

case 30:
computer = 2;
break;

case 45:
computer = 66;
computer_alert = "HAHA! computer climbed a ladder!!!";
break;

case 35:
computer = 67;
break;

case 20:
computer = 41;
break;

case 8:
computer = 28;
break;

case 4:
computer = 36;
break;

default:
computer_alert = "";
}

squares[player] = 200; //player's position shall be represented by the integer 200
squares[computer] = 300; //computer's position shall be represented by the inteer 300

if ( input != 0)
{
cout<<"You rolled "<<roll<<" Computer rolled "<<computer_roll<<endl;
cout<<"Your Position: "<<player<<" Computer's Position: "<<computer<<endl;
cout <<alert<<endl;
cout <<computer_alert<<endl;

board();
cout << "SNAKES\tLADDERS\n99-5\t4-36\n93-25\t8-28\n77-9\t20-41\n52-6\t35-67\n30-2\t45-66\n\n"; //so the player knows which is a snake and that which is ladder
}

progress = check_progress();

}
while ( progress == 0 && input != 0 );

if ( squares[100] == 200)
{
cout << "||You Win!||"<<endl;
}
else if ( squares[100] == 300)
{
cout << "||Game Over Computer Wins!"<<endl;
}
else
{
cout << "You Quit!";
}

cin.get();
cin.ignore();
}

void board()//define the board drawing mechanism!
{
cout << "----------------------------------------------------------------------------"<<endl<<endl;
cout << squares[100]<<"\t"<<squares[99]<<"\t"<<squares[98]<<"\t"<<squares[97]<<"\t"<<squares[96]<<"\t"
<<squares[95]<<"\t"<<squares[94]<<"\t"<<squares[93]<<"\t"<<squares[92]<<"\t"<<squares[91]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[81]<<"\t"<<squares[82]<<"\t"<<squares[83]<<"\t"<<squares[84]<<"\t"<<squares[85]<<"\t"
<<squares[86]<<"\t"<<squares[87]<<"\t"<<squares[88]<<"\t"<<squares[89]<<"\t"<<squares[90]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[80]<<"\t"<<squares[79]<<"\t"<<squares[78]<<"\t"<<squares[77]<<"\t"<<squares[76]<<"\t"
<<squares[75]<<"\t"<<squares[74]<<"\t"<<squares[73]<<"\t"<<squares[72]<<"\t"<<squares[71]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[61]<<"\t"<<squares[62]<<"\t"<<squares[63]<<"\t"<<squares[64]<<"\t"<<squares[65]<<"\t"
<<squares[66]<<"\t"<<squares[67]<<"\t"<<squares[68]<<"\t"<<squares[69]<<"\t"<<squares[70]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[60]<<"\t"<<squares[59]<<"\t"<<squares[58]<<"\t"<<squares[57]<<"\t"<<squares[56]<<"\t"
<<squares[55]<<"\t"<<squares[54]<<"\t"<<squares[53]<<"\t"<<squares[52]<<"\t"<<squares[51]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[41]<<"\t"<<squares[42]<<"\t"<<squares[43]<<"\t"<<squares[44]<<"\t"<<squares[45]<<"\t"
<<squares[46]<<"\t"<<squares[47]<<"\t"<<squares[48]<<"\t"<<squares[49]<<"\t"<<squares[50]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[40]<<"\t"<<squares[39]<<"\t"<<squares[38]<<"\t"<<squares[37]<<"\t"<<squares[36]<<"\t"
<<squares[35]<<"\t"<<squares[34]<<"\t"<<squares[33]<<"\t"<<squares[32]<<"\t"<<squares[31]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[21]<<"\t"<<squares[22]<<"\t"<<squares[23]<<"\t"<<squares[24]<<"\t"<<squares[25]<<"\t"
<<squares[26]<<"\t"<<squares[27]<<"\t"<<squares[28]<<"\t"<<squares[29]<<"\t"<<squares[30]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[20]<<"\t"<<squares[19]<<"\t"<<squares[18]<<"\t"<<squares[17]<<"\t"<<squares[16]<<"\t"
<<squares[15]<<"\t"<<squares[14]<<"\t"<<squares[13]<<"\t"<<squares[12]<<"\t"<<squares[11]<<endl<<endl;

cout << squares[1]<<"\t"<<squares[2]<<"\t"<<squares[3]<<"\t"<<squares[4]<<"\t"<<squares[5]<<"\t"
<<squares[6]<<"\t"<<squares[7]<<"\t"<<squares[8]<<"\t"<<squares[9]<<"\t"<<squares[10]<<endl<<endl;
cout << "----------------------------------------------------------------------------"<<endl;
}

int roll_dice()//define the dice rolling mechanism
{
return rand() % (7-1) + 1;//can only roll 1 - 6
}

int check_progress()//define the progress checking mechanism
{
if ( squares[100] == 200 || squares[100] == 300)
{
return 1;//game has ended... win! someone has
}
else
{
return 0;//game is still on, win no one has...
}
}

hope you enjoyed it as much as I did...
I will post more of my little projects for newbies like me to learn an draw inspiration from cool
Re: How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2016
cool!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
all these LOC for a crappy game ..C++ sucks grin
Re: How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) by losprince(m): 12:21am On Feb 07, 2017
Averted:
all these LOC for a crappy game ..C++ sucks grin
I disagree, c++ is fun, just like every other language if put in the right hand can do more than wonders

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) by losprince(m): 12:22am On Feb 07, 2017
ANTONINEUTRON:
cool!!

thanks

(1) (Reply)

Web Development Using PHP / Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria / Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.