Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,493 members, 7,836,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Yinka Dare's 44th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yinka Dare's 44th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (1156 Views)

Jay-Jay Okocha's Exotic Cars As He Celebrates His 44th Birthday / Jay-jay Okocha Celebrates His 44th Birthday Today / Mikel Obi's Twins' 1st Birthday Is Today (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yinka Dare's 44th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lalasticlala(m): 8:37am On Oct 10, 2016
Yinka Dare (October 10, 1972 – January 9, 2004) was a Nigerian professional basketball player. A 7'1 1/2" (217 cm), 265 pound (120.2 kg) center, he played four seasons in the National Basketball Associat at only 31 years of age after suffering a heart attack.

Death

Dare died in 2004, after collapsing in his home in Englewood, New Jersey. A medical examiner determined that he had suffered a heart attack due to an arrhythmia condition discovered when he was in college.

Lucious Harris, who joined the Nets in 1997–98, Dare's final season said: "It's a bad situation. I feel for his family. Just 32, to have a heart attack, that's scary. It always seemed like he was in shape. But things happen and you don't understand why."

Kerry Kittles, who played with Dare in the latter's final two Nets seasons said: "He was a quiet guy, didn't talk that much. He worked hard - he didn't really play much, but he was a fun guy to be around. [He was] young: It makes you think... anything can happen any time. It's in the back of your mind [that] it could happen to you."

Jarvis, who coached Dare at George Washington, told The Washington Post: "Yinka was a kind, gentle person. He was nice to my family, as respectful as anybody I've come into contact with. I don't remember him having a bad word to say about anybody; just a nice, sweet kid."

Dare was survived by parents Gabriel and Joan, two sisters and a brother.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinka_Dare

1 Share

Re: Yinka Dare's 44th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Thomsyne(m): 8:39am On Oct 10, 2016
Mehn... Early death... Sleep on bro

(1) (Reply)

Watch Two South Africans Show Off Their Football Juggling Skills On The Street / How Manchester United Could Lineup Next Season With Five New Signings / James Rodriquez Divorce Wife Of 6 Years And Half

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.