Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. (17761 Views)

5 Things Every Job Seeker Should Know Before Starting Their Job Search / Job Seeker Loses Job Out Of Impatience With Company Staff / My Funny Job Searching Ordeal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2016
where do I even start from?
okay so I got to know of this job opening through word of mouth from a friend. The opening is in one of nigeria's most secretive security outfits here in abuja, though on a contract basis, my connect already gave me d low down of their renumeration..and its quite juicy!

so i kitted up, arranged my credentials n left for d place having already notified my contact there...I got there n while waiting for d interview, another G came to join me...just two of us o! D;

my belle sweet me die at this point..cos I had already being informed that they needed 2 people...see level na D;

They even entertained us with better rice and big big fried fish o D:

We waited..and d time came for d interview...sweet office with chilling a.c, orals for that matter..for my mind I do hammer na, I felt it will just be for formality. Wrong!

D other guy was interviewed first, right in front of me o. His highest qualification is SSCE. jesu! I laff for my mind..belle was still sweeting me. .

Sharply he was done with n told to wait in d waiting area...my turn reach...after asking my name n shiii, oga was like what was my qualification...n I was like 'am a graduate with a masters in d...', he cut me short n was like "masters"?? I said yessir, he was no no no no no no! young man u r over qualified for this job o...we only want people with ssce or ond.

Omoh! Na so I begin sweat inside chilling a.c o! my legs begin shake, my mouth dry, my eyes watered n my ears started making wooooooo sound! this one na reality check 10.0

I think he said so many things that sounded like words of advice but I cud barely hear him, what I can still remember him saying was that I was over qualified for d job, based on my credentials n experience n that doing what they were offering wud b like a step backwards for me...in my mind I was like arrrgh oga d salary would elevate my status o, infact why worry my worry for me but I cudnt say nada becos of the Wooooooh sound from my ear n also becos he was a brig gen D; I cant afford to enter guard room Ontop dissappointment o.

sha last last I got money for tport n email to forward my cv to incase something comes up...and assurance of help if the need arises in d near future...

so that's it o....I cant shout n insomnia is setting in, d thought of d salary is still on my mind...

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by tukdi: 12:41am On Oct 11, 2016
shocked

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by nmreports: 2:48am On Oct 11, 2016
You shouldn't have given in easily.
Even if it's their policy you could have tried a little convincing.
In my experience, many times policies are broken or adjusted.

What I'm saying is that, you could have mentioned how you dont believe degrees determine the worth of an individual but rather ones worth ethics and values etc.

You should also have thrown out those degrees and gone with your SSCE certificate since you had an insider. Then you grow on the job at the right time by bringing in your degrees.

39 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by kingphilip(m): 4:54am On Oct 11, 2016
I thought those are mere stories those times we hear this things but now they're here with us

You had an informant and that should just be the ideal person to have given you an insight about the educational qualifications needed for the job

I won't be surprised if the other guy has PhD but submitted a cv containing an ssce as the highest qualification since he's a WASSCE holder too

I'll do that any day any time if the need be and then subsequent promotions one can even submit better qualifications since you're in house now

Anyway Wishing you da very best of luck in your subsequent interviews

This should serve as a lesson that always do a background check of the qualifications and if it's not clearly spelt out the position one is applying for will tend to tilt you towards the maximum qualification that might be required

For instance one can't be applying for a cleaner job even if it has a pegged amount of 100k with an MSc qualification and expect to get it ahead of an ssce holder

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Ay04z(m): 5:45am On Oct 11, 2016
wen seeking for job...job requirement should come first in one other not to be dissapointed....I have a friend that has bsc and HND combine...but working with just his his ordinary national diploma in nestle..my advice for job seekers don't give dem what dey are not asking for...though in d near future u will let dem know ur worth peace out....

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 11, 2016
Witty. Funny. I can actually relate to this. It happened to me sometimes last year. I just had to leave with a heavy leg and had the vibe on my way home that i have to give it all to my enterpreneurship job, Capital permitting.
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 6:48am On Oct 11, 2016
nmreports:
You shouldn't have given in easily. It's well.

There's nothing I could hv done o..its their policy

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by veekid(m): 6:49am On Oct 11, 2016
This can only occur in this part of the world
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by divinelove(m): 6:50am On Oct 11, 2016
angry op u too dull, I can bet my right hand dt D other guy is at least a degree holder but went with only ssce grin sharp guy.

Nobody wants MSC holder as security when d salary no go pass 40k. After training you u won't last with d coy as u will soon get another offer BC of ur qualification but d ssce guy may never get a better job d4 he will stay put n serve diligently for several years dts d employers mentality.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 6:51am On Oct 11, 2016
kingphilip:
I thought those are mere stories those times we hear this things but now they're here with us

You had an informant and that should just be the ideal person to have given you an insight about the educational qualifications needed for the job

I won't be surprised if the other guy has PhD but submitted a cv containing an ssce as the highest qualification since he's a WASSCE holder too

I'll do that any day any time if the need be and then subsequent promotions one can even submit better qualifications since you're in house now

Anyway Wishing you da very best of luck in your subsequent interviews

This should serve as a lesson that always do a background check of the qualifications and if it's not clearly spelt out the position one is applying for will tend to tilt you towards the maximum qualification that might be required

For instance one can't be applying for a cleaner job even if it has a pegged amount of 100k with an MSc qualification and expect to get it ahead of an ssce holder

True talk...painful though that I had to learn this the hard way.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 6:54am On Oct 11, 2016
Ay04z:
wen seeking for job...job requirement should come first in one other not to be dissapointed....I have a friend that has bsc and HND combine...but working with just his his ordinary national diploma in nestle..my advice for job seekers don't give dem what dey are not asking for...though in d near future u will let dem know ur worth peace out....

Yeah thanks for d advice.
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by kingphilip(m): 6:54am On Oct 11, 2016
Ay04z:
good that's what I'm trying to talk about earlier

Acquint yourself with their requirements and fine tune your cv to match it and viola your end to unemployment is just in sight
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 6:56am On Oct 11, 2016
modelmike7:
Witty. Funny. Sad!
Braah I nearly mad o..but God got me still..I no dey lose hope.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by adren(m): 6:56am On Oct 11, 2016
i been finding it difficult to shiit for some time now.. this your sado-funny experience just made me shiit my intestine join..

just so you know.. this one is a stepping stone.. God has got bigger plans for you..i am sure.. you just don't give up.

you even get "small" connect.. 80% of job seekers are still stranded coz they don't have any connect, no financial and moral support and no legs to spread..

i have a friend that is willing to spread his legs just for a #50k job but the ogas-at-the-top prefer natural "leg-spreaders"- ladies (cute or not)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by motherlode: 6:57am On Oct 11, 2016
That's a lesson learnt... It is advisable you move on from this situation, I believe there is another job for you in the making. It can still be from that organisation since you've forwarded your CV or from somewhere else. #StayPositive

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by paschal47(m): 6:57am On Oct 11, 2016
OP if I be you, I go ask the interviewer if na joke him dey joke. anyway lesson learnt don't try that sh!t again
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by kaycodes: 6:58am On Oct 11, 2016
veekid:
This can only occur in this part of the world

No it happens in every part of the world. There is something called over-qualification.

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Fantastic2m(m): 6:58am On Oct 11, 2016
It's well with u brother

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 11, 2016
lorRhyMeZ:

Braah I nearly mad o..but God got me still..I no dey lose hope.
. . . God got your bad bro. Nothing do you. All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Poorboy: 7:00am On Oct 11, 2016
Nice story
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by teepsee(f): 7:00am On Oct 11, 2016
aweeeeee, take heart bro.

But how about telling me the place let me apply, it won't be a bad idea u know undecided
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by danduchi(m): 7:04am On Oct 11, 2016
What is yours will be yours, don't fight it

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 11, 2016
Eya. I feel the pain hombre. Me I'm not too proud to beg. I will just tear the photocopies of my bsc and msc instantly. And tell the man that please I have just ssce now.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 7:15am On Oct 11, 2016
divinelove:
angry op u too dull, I can bet my right hand dt D other guy is at least a degree holder but went with only ssce grin sharp guy.

Nobody wants MSC holder as security when d salary no go pass 40k. After training you u won't last with d coy as u will soon get another offer BC of ur qualification but d ssce guy may never get a better job dts d employers mentality.

omoh bros I gree, I dull ehn..in fact my new name should start with B and end with I
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by AngelAhnie(f): 7:16am On Oct 11, 2016
May God grant your heart desire....amen
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 11, 2016
ismokeweed:
Eya. I feel the pain hombre. Me I'm not too proud to beg. I will just tear the photocopies of my bsc and msc instantly. And tell the man that please I have just ssce now.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But why tear photocopies? You for just tear the originals too to show the man how serious you are. grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 11, 2016
shocked
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 7:19am On Oct 11, 2016
adren:
i been finding it difficult to shiit for some time now.. this your sado-funny experience just made me shiit my intestine join..

just so you know.. this one is a stepping stone.. God has got bigger plans for you..i am sure.. you just don't give up.

you even get "small" connect.. 80% of job seekers are still stranded coz they don't have any connect, no financial and moral support and no legs to spread..

i have a friend that is willing to spread his legs just for a #50k job but the ogas-at-the-top prefer natural "leg-spreaders"- ladies (cute or not)

Yeah yeah bros, at least I was able to mk u shat ur shit..any ways thanks much d advice. May God see us through.
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 7:23am On Oct 11, 2016
tongue

Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 7:24am On Oct 11, 2016
motherlode:
That's a lesson learnt... It is advisable you move on from this situation, I believe there is another job for you in the making. It can still be from that organisation since you've forwarded your CV or from somewhere else. #StayPositive

Yes boss..I really did learn a lesson or two..it will all be a story someday..thanks for d kind words
Re: My Funny Yet Sad Experience As A Job Seeker Today. by lorRhyMeZ: 7:27am On Oct 11, 2016
paschal47:
OP if I be you, I go ask the interviewer if na joke him dey joke. anyway lesson learnt don't try that sh!t again

the interviewer was at least a colonel or most likely a brig general. I cudnt possibly hv asked him that, if not guard room for sure me...:d Thanks for d encouragement anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Careers In Nigerian Breweries Plc / I've Got An Interview To Attend But I've Chicken Pox. What Should I Do?? / Wellness Homes (HMO) - A Useless, Worthless, Time-wasting Recruitment Agency!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.