Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,532 members, 7,865,202 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:53 PM

My Book Of History. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Book Of History. (919 Views)

Nairaland Book Of Puns- Lovers Of Wordplay, Let's Pun! / My Book Of Quotes / My Book Of Rants! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Book Of History. by Turiano(m): 6:11am On Oct 20, 2009
Case study jaja of opobo kingdom.
Birth name:jubo jubogha.
Reign:1870-1891.
Sucessor:jaja 2 of opobo kingdom.
Predecessor:none.place of birth:Amaigbo.
Died:1891.
Jaja of opobo who's full name was jubo jubogha was a Nigerian merchant prince and the founder of opobo city-state.born in umuduruoha,Amaigbo in Igboland.and was sold into slave trade and the young age of 12,in a place known as bonny. Jubo jubogha later known to be jaja was actually named jaja because of his dealings with the british at that time.
Jaja approved hir aptitude for business at an early age,earning his way out of slavery,was eculturated was the word the the ijaw man used i was questioning as at the time of the interview,he said according to the ijaw's(ibani)
jaja enventually established himself as the head of the Anna pepple house under jaja's leadership Anna pepple soon absorbed a number of bonny's other trade houser untill the internal division forced jaja to break away as opobo city-state in the year 1867 opobo soon came to dominate the regions's lucrative palmoil trade,and was soon home to the fourteen of what were formerly bonny's eighteen trade houses.jaja also moved to block the acess of the interior,giving him an effective monopoly at times,even he got to the extent that opobo shipped oil directly into liverpool,independent of british middlemen.
At the 1884-1885 berlin confference ,however made othe europeans powers designated over their colony or territory,and the british territory soon move to refused to cease british traders.
Harry Hamitton Johnston,a british consul invited jaja to negociate with him in the year 1887 when jaja arrived, the british arrested him and tried him in accra in gold coast now known as Ghana,then exiled to barbadoes and later to saint vincent island in the west indies.
In the year 1891 jaja was granted permission to return home but died en route,following his exiled and death,the power of the opobo state rapidly declined.
This article was relayed from an interview and research in my neigbour hood.
Re: My Book Of History. by Nobody: 3:49am On Oct 21, 2009
anyone with interesting ancedotes from their own history?

hopefully the greedy information snoops guzzlers wont run with it.

I just learnt something new about one of my great ancestors myself.
Re: My Book Of History. by Turiano(m): 5:30am On Oct 25, 2009
@tpia u can write about ur newly discovered history of ur ancestor on the thread.

(1) (Reply)

Examination Desk(jamb,gce,neco,nebtee) / How To Defeat Fear / Make Money As An Online Freelance Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.