Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,820 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 (1400 Views)

Nigeria Vs Netherlands: FIFA U17 World Cup (1 - 3) On 6th November 2019 / Australia Vs Nigeria: FIFA U17 World Cup (2 - 1) Full Time / Nigeria Vs Hungary: FIFA U17 World Cup (4 - 2) Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2016
Since the decision was made by FIFA to introduce
respective World Cups at various age groups the
continuous search for the next big name hasn’t
been easier.
Whereas some have lived up to their billing, and
going on to enjoy a glittering career, others have
fallen by the wayside allowing the weight of
expectation to overawe them.
The first tournament is the Under-17s,
inaugurated in 1985, with 16 subsequent
championships to date and each outstanding
player of their respective edition winning a Golden
Ball.
Here are the last nine winners and what
happened next.

www.squawka.com/news/what-happened-next-every-fifa-under-17-world-cup-golden-ball-winner-since-1999/791889

1999 – Landon Donovan (United States)

A member of the inaugural class at U.S. Soccer's
full-time residency program Donovan had scored
35 goals across 41 matches for the under-17s
before making his senior international debut in
A star in the making, he'd go on to have a fruitful
career, making a grand total of 157 appearances
for America – and scoring a national record of 57
goals – across 14-years.
Predominantly playing in the MLS, for LA Galaxy,
he's enjoyed loans at Bayern Munich and Everton
as well as starting his footballing journey at
Bayer Leverkusen where he featured in seven
league matches.
After hanging up his boots in 2014 the Californian
has recently come out of retirement with the
Galaxy.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:18pm On Oct 12, 2016
2001 – Florent Sinama Pongolle (France)

After guiding France to their first under-17 world title, scoring nine goals in the process, Pongolle earned a move to Liverpool from Le Havre, before returning on loan. At the Anfield-based club he made 57 appearances scoring eight goals, with one of them coming against Olympiacos in their Champions League comeback, a precursor to their European Cup success of 2005. Since then he's become somewhat of a journeyman having played for ten clubs, the most notable being Atletico Madrid, across seven different countries.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2016
2003 – Cesc Fabregas (Spain)
Spain lost the final to a talented Brazil but only two of their squad members would go on to represent the senior team subsequently winning both European Championship and World Cup. David Silva, was one, and Fabregas – who finished as the tournaments leading scorer (five goals) – the other. A few months later he'd join Arsenal, where he became an instant favourite, citing a lack of opportunities at boyhood club Barcelona. During his period with the Gunners he racked over 300 first team appearances scoring 58 goals whilst producing 91 assists. After establishing himself, much to the decry of Gooners everywhere, Barcelona rehired him and he'd enjoy a three season spell – 42 goals and 57 assists in 151 games – before leaving for Chelsea in the summer of 2014 where he's currently plying his trade.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
2005 – Anderson (Brazil)

A year after finishing as runner-up Anderson, who impressed observers at the eleventh edition of the tournament, joined FC Porto, a club renowned for nurturing South American talents. Anderson's reputation in Portugal, as Ronaldinho's successor, grew so much so Manchester United put down £20m for his services in 2007. His first season with the club proved to be a successful one as Anderson finished with both Premier League and Champions League titles. However, he couldn't live up to the hype, with injuries dominating his period at the club. After eight seasons, and 181 appearances, the eight-time capped international returned to Brazil to join Internacional after spending a few months on loan at Fiorentina.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2016
2007 – Toni Kroos (Germany)

A product of Bayern Munich's esteemed academy much was written about Kroos before he made his first team debut in September 2007. His performances in South Korea, ultimately becoming the sole German representative to reach senior level, was enough to convince the Bayern hierarchy – then under the auspices of Ottmar Hitzfeld – he was ready. Kroos, aged 17, became the club's youngest debutant a record that has since been eclipsed by David Alaba. Further appearances would be sporadic, before he came a regular during the 2010/11 season, coinciding with Bayern's return as a European footballing powerhouse. He played an integral role in Die Roten winning their fifth European Cup in 2013 and Germany's fourth World Cup title a year later. After an eight- year associating with the club he left for Real Madrid in the summer of 2014 and has since won a second Champions League title as well as cementing himself as one of the club's most important players.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
2009 – Sani Emmanuel (Nigeria)

It never really happened for Emmanuel after he guided hosts Nigeria to second-place at the 2009 edition. He'd secure a place at Lazio's youth set-up a year later though he never made an official appearance for the Roman club. Successive loan spells at Salernitana and Swiss outfit FC Biel-Bienne were frustrating as opportunities were scarce. Once realising his long-term future was not in Rome the striker left for Beitar Jerusalem, where he made one league appearance, before joining Oskarshamns AIK in Sweden, after a brief spell there – restricted to just four competitive games – the 23-year-old is currently unattached.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:25pm On Oct 12, 2016
2009 – Sani Emmanuel (Nigeria)

It never really happened for Emmanuel after he guided hosts Nigeria to second-place at the 2009 edition. He'd secure a place at Lazio's youth set-up a year later though he never made an official appearance for the Roman club. Successive loan spells at Salernitana and Swiss outfit FC Biel-Bienne were frustrating as opportunities were scarce. Once realising his long-term future was not in Rome the striker left for Beitar Jerusalem, where he made one league appearance, before joining Oskarshamns AIK in Sweden, after a brief spell there – restricted to just four competitive games – the 23-year-old is currently unattached.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2016
2011 – Julio Gómez González (Mexico)

Another who’s had to be patient after an impressive showing at the Under-17 World Cup. Part of the Mexico squad that triumphed on home soil, managing three goals in the process, and then adding the CONCACAF U-20 Championship to his resume two years later, González – yet to play for the senior Mexico team – has enjoyed limited top level football. Graduating from Pachuca's youth team in 2011 he's made 14 appearances scoring once and creating a further assist whilst going out on loan at five different clubs including Coras de Tepic where he's at now (already with a goal after one match).
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:27pm On Oct 12, 2016
2013 – Kelechi Iheanacho (Nigeria)
Spearheading the Super Eagles to a fourth title was Kelechi Iheanacho who finished with six goals including scoring in their 3-0 final win over Mexico. A tournament filled with scouts, looking for the next big thing, it was no surprise one of Europe's leading clubs - Manchester City – made a move for him within a year of his success. Iheanacho continued his rapid development within their youth set-up before first-team boss Manuel Pellegrini couldn't ignore him anymore. Iheanacho, aged 19, made his City debut in September 2015 since he's been a revelation scoring 17 goals across 42 matches. In that period, unlike his two predecessors, he's graduated to senior international football racking up three goals in five games so far.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 12:29pm On Oct 12, 2016
2015 – Kelechi Nwakali (Nigeria)
Nigeria secured back-to-back titles, and their fifth overall in Chile in the summer of 2015, much of their success was down to the leadership of captain Nwakali who like Iheanacho, before him, moved to England, joining Arsenal. On arrival he'd join Dutch second division side MVV Maastricht where he's made three appearances and yet to contribute with a goal or assist. Much is expected of the multifunctional forward, who is capable of playing as a number 10, and he'd be hoping – like compatriot Alex Iwobi – of becoming a mainstay in the Gunners first-team squad as well as breaking into Nigeria's senior team.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by acenazt: 12:45pm On Oct 12, 2016
Wow 3 Nigerians
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Icon4s(m): 12:45pm On Oct 12, 2016
it just tells you that most U17 graduates dont progress well.

Real development starts at U19/20.

I summon TheGoodJoe here.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 1:10pm On Oct 12, 2016
Icon4s:

There are so many factors involved. I'm beginning to fear for Kelechi Nwakali too
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Icon4s(m): 1:12pm On Oct 12, 2016
EagleScribes:

There are so many factors involved. I'm beginning to fear for Kelechi Nwakali too

They not qualifying for the next U20 will definitely have a negative touch on the careers of a lot of those boys.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 1:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
Icon4s:

They not qualifying for the next U20 will definitely have a negative touch on the careers of a lot of those boys.

In addition to the godfatherism and shady deals involved with player selections. In all, it's not good times
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 2:32pm On Oct 12, 2016
Survivors of 2013 set - Iheanacho, Musa Muhammed, and Isaac Success
2011 set - no one that I know of
2009 set - Omeruo, Onazi
2007 - no one
2005 downwards, I don't know any other survivor of U17 teams, bar Mikel
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Funjosh(m): 2:34pm On Oct 12, 2016
EagleScribes:
Survivors of 2013 set - Iheanacho, Musa Muhammed, and Isaac Success

2011 set - no one that I know of

2009 set - Omeruo, Onazi

2007 - no one

2005 downwards, I don't know any other survivor of U17 teams, bar Mikel

where is egbon Taye Taiwo now self
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2016
Icon4s:

The U17 is good for finding raw talents. However, grooming and nurturing these talents requires a lot of input in terms of quality training materials and innovative coaching.

An exceptional U17 team is a team made of brilliant talents. A U20 team that is exceptional is a team of future exceptional pros.

That is why we must help find our best talents and expose them to where they can get good pro training.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The U17 is good for finding raw talents. However, grooming and nurturing these talents requires a lot of input in terms of quality training materials and innovative coaching.

An exceptional U17 team is a team made of brilliant talents. A U20 team that is exceptional is a team of future exceptional pros.

That is why we must help find our best talents and expose them to where they can get good pro training.

Unfortunately, we have a system as good as non-existent. The talents are there but no plans or roadmaps

1 Like

Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Icon4s(m): 6:53pm On Oct 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Yeah, you have just said it.

The U17 is made up of talented players.Raw talents. As they clock 18 they sign professional contracts and that is when moulding of their careers commence.

For a good number, their raw talents are not properly utilized during their grooming stage and they get stagnated.

1 Like

Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Icon4s(m): 6:55pm On Oct 12, 2016
EagleScribes:

Unfortunately, we have a system as good as non-existent. The talents are there but no plans or roadmaps

The transition from U17 to U20 has been a major problem for us. We have won the U17 five times.Higher than any other country in the world but we have never won the U20. We have even only played 2finals.
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2016
2007 - I thought Chrisantus Macaulay was the golden ball winner. Mehn that dude was almost 30 when he played that tournament because I know him pretty well. I am not trying to back lash him. Age caught up with him and we all know what became of him. The exploit of Lukman Haruna and Rabiu Ibrahim in midfield was a delight to watch. De gea was in goal for Spain in the final. He kept Spain in the game, I remembered my friend nicknamed him mosquito. We both averred that he was going places and now he is amongst the best goalie in the world.

2001- I can't forget the exploits of Femi Okpabunmi. I cried when we lost to France in the Finals. We were outclassed and beaten silly. No thanks to the technical crew.

2009- Emmanuel Sani was a super sub with eyes for goals. His selfishness caused us the trophy. Good to see the likes of Onazi and Omeruo still holding their own.
How can I forget little Messi, Okoro who was already married with kids playing in that tournament. He was a delight to watch but he also received the recompense of age cheating.

Mikel played in 2003 but they didn't go far in the tournament, I guessed.

2013 produced the likes of Iheanancho, Nwakali, Alfa, Awonoyi and Success.

2015 produced the likes of Kelechi Nwakali and Victor Osimhen. .

The golden generation is gradually coming into reckoning now with the Likes of Iheanancho, Success, Osimhen, Awonoyi, Yahaya, Iwobi, Nwakali, Nwobodo etc
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by Icon4s(m): 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2016
Daninya11:
2007 - I thought Chrisantus Macaulay was the golden ball winner. Mehn that dude was almost 30 when he played that tournament because I know him pretty well. I am not trying to back lash him. Age caught up with him and we all know what became of him. The exploit of Lukman Haruna and Rabiu Ibrahim in midfield was a delight to watch

2001- I can't forget the exploits of Femi Okpabunmi. I cried when we lost to France in the Finals. We were outclassed and beaten silly. No thanks to the technical crew.

2009- Emmanuel Sani was a super sub with eyes for goals. His selfishness caused us the trophy. Good to see the likes of Onazi and Omeruo still holding their own.
How can I forget little Messi, Okoro who was already married with kids playing in that tournament. He was a delight to watch but he also received the recompense of age cheating.

Mikel played in 2003 but they didn't go far in the tournament, I guessed.

2013 produced the likes of Iheanancho, Nwakali, Alfa, Awonoyi and Success.

2015 produced the likes of Kelechi Nwakali and Victor Osimhen. .

The golden generation is gradually coming into reckoning now with the Likes of Iheanancho, Success, Osimhen, Awonoyi, Yahaya, Iwobi, Nwakali, Nwobodo etc

Toni Kroos won the Golden ball for the 2007.
Chrisantus won the Silver ball.

1 Like

Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
Icon4s:

The transition from U17 to U20 has been a major problem for us. We have won the U17 five times.Higher than any other country in the world but we have never won the U20. We have even only played 2finals.

Unfortunately, we never learn, neither do we plan for the future. Cheating and attitudes has not helped me the cause of the "youngsters" either
Re: What Happened Next? Every FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Ball Winner Since 1999 by EagleScribes: 2:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
Funjosh:

where is egbon Taye Taiwo now self

Maybe you ask Robosky

(1) (Reply)

Dangote Threatens To Sack Wenger / Highlight Metz Vs Monaco 0:1 / Get Ready For Football Match Enthusiastically!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.