Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,132 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing (12268 Views)

Rugged Used UK Hp Compaq CQ62 4gb Ram Perfectly Okay / Have You Upgraded Your Laptop Before? How Much Did It Cost You? / Have A Very Cheap Fairly Used UK Laptop For Sale! See Specs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
You must have come across articles telling you things to put into consideration before buying any laptop, what most of these articles fail to do is let you know what you need to check before buying any used laptop.

This is only meant for those who have decide to go for used laptop due to the increase in price of a new laptop, you are not allowed to test a new system unless you've paid for it,unlike a used laptop.

If you've decide to buy a used laptop and still don't know what to look out for before giving the seller your money, then this post will put you through all the necessary things you need to check before purchasing.

I believe you must have known the purpose of going for a laptop, choosen your brand type, know the best configuration suituatable to you and budget for the laptop.

1. CHECK THE USED LAPTOP SCREEN AND FLEX

The screen is one of the important part of the laptop,it is fragile and can get broken easily.
Apart from that there are other things that can damage the screen.

You need to watch out for dents, burn in, white dots and inner stains that can never be removed, if you noticed any of this in the screen of the used laptop, you can easily tell the seller to help change it.

The flex which is also call signal cable connect the screen to the motherboard, without this flex the laptop screen will not display any character, to check if the flex is working well, bend the laptop hinges forward and backward for like 3-5 times.

If you notice any reddish sign on screen, or screen goes blank then the signal cable is faulty, also note that screen going blank can also be a faulty screen.

2. EXAMINE THE LAPTOP CARCASS AND HINGES

The fact that you're buying a used laptop doesn't mean the carcass should be bad, look out for any body dent or broken parts before purchasing, also make sure the hinges is not loosen or broken as it might damage the screen or the down carcass on the long run.

3. CHECK ALL THE USB PORTS AND CHARGING PORT

It's adviceable you check all the USB port of the laptop you intend to buy, to test the USB port, an external keyboard or external mouse is the best option to use.

Connect the external keyboard to the ports and click the window key or caplock button, if the responsd on the laptop then you're good to go, also make sure the USB 3.0 is driven in other for you to test it too.

The charging port is also important, connect the charger and make sure it's not shaking.

4. LOOK OUT FOR BAD KEYBOARD

Whether you want to use your laptop for graphic design, programming or chatting, you'll need a keyboard to perform this task.

Also read
List of HP service centers in Nigeria

In other to make sure the keyboard is working fine ,search for notepad and press all the keys in the on the keyboard to confirm they are working, also check the function keys too expecially the boot menu and set up key.

5. ALL DRIVERS MUST BE DRIVEN

Drivers act as a translator between the operating system and the hardware, without the drivers being installad built in device like UBS 3.0, Wi-Fi, touchpad and bluetooth will not work.

You can easily check is the drivers are not yet installed by following this steps:

a. Press the windows + E button
b. System properties
c. Device manager

Look out for any yellow sign, if there's is any then that part is not get driven.

6. OBSERVE THE BATTERY LIFE

This one of the thing some people fail to observe when buying a used laptop, the backup of a system is very important, test the battery by playing a music or quickly watch a 20-25min movie to see how fast it drop.

Connect a charger and make sure the battery percentage increases and it's "plug in charging".
If you see "battery not detected or pluging not charging" then request for another battery.

Note that "plug in not charging" might be the charger fault or motherboard, that's why it's adviceable you test the charging.

7. ASK FOR A GOOD CHARGER,CHORD AND INVOICE

The reason most laptop get damage is due to bad charger, when the charger get burnt it will affect the charging IC of the laptop and in some cases damage the motherboard which may result to buying a new motherboard or laptop.

Always ask for original charger in other to avoid unnecessary stories.

I have seen a situation where, an invoice is written without the serial number of the laptop, just writing the laptop configuration or seeing the office address is not enough, the serial number of the laptop is very important.

Make sure it is written on the invoice ,and it is correct.
You can locate the serial number at the back of the laptop, inside the battery compartment or setup menu.

CONCLUSION

Buying a used laptop doesn't mean you shouldn't go for the best, after all it's your hard earn money, it's advicable you check out for all the above listed points before handling over your money to the seller.

If you've bought a used system before, you can kindly share your experience with us in the comment box for others to learn from it too.

http://udemzytech..com/2016/10/how-to-test-used-laptop-before-purchasing.html

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by AKBliv010(m): 10:44pm On Oct 12, 2016
udemzy101:

http://udemzytech..com/2016/10/how-to-test-used-laptop-before-purchasing.html

Excellent topic!! I'd just like to add 2 points

Screen : Check for dead LCD pixels using this link and follow the instructions. It's a red screen and dead pixels will show as black dots- http://www.checkpixels.com/ ( can be used on smartphones too)

Battery: You can create a battery report in Windows by doing the following an example of report below
a. Hit Windows Button + X and select Command Prompt (Admin). This is the quickest way to open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
b. Type in and enter: powercfg /batteryreport ( report saved at C:\Windows\system32\battery-report.html)
c. Open the Battery report HTML file to view it.

3 Likes

Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 13, 2016
AKBliv010:

Excellent topic!! I'd just like to add 2 points

Screen : Check for dead LCD pixels using this link and follow the instructions. It's a red screen and dead pixels will show as black dots- http://www.checkpixels.com/ ( can be used on smartphones too)

Battery: You can create a battery report in Windows by doing the following an example of report below
a. Hit Windows Button + X and select Command Prompt (Admin). This is the quickest way to open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
b. Type in and enter: powercfg /batteryreport ( report saved at C:\Windows\system32\battery-report.html)
c. Open the Battery report HTML file to view it.

cool...nice one sir

1 Like

Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Greatzeus(m): 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
Great work,informative
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by pomide(m): 4:03pm On Oct 16, 2016
correct!

nothing like new tho.. you can comfortably run 5 yrs no real headache with a new product.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by AKBliv010(m): 6:42pm On Oct 16, 2016
pomide:
correct!

nothing like new tho.. you can comfortably run 5 yrs no real headache with a new product.

I bought my Logitech PC speaker used in 2004 and they still work till now...and I've owned the 2nd gen iPod which I bought new in 2003 from Apple with 1year warranty which died after 18months.

So my friend everything na gamble...my advise is be informed so you can choose a good used product if one can't afford new.

As a rule of thumb, the quality in a product can be gauged by how many years the manufacturer can guarantee their product should be defect free.

2 Likes

Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2016
pomide:
correct!

seriously, presently some people prefer going for used..

1. cos it has stand the test of time

2. affordable

Most of this new laptop are not build to last long, any light issue it is gone...

To me, I see no difference between used and new, even people prefer used MOBO to new MOBO..

A new laptop can develop fault that same day u purchase it, many people go for new laptop just because they want a new laptop... that's all

Talking about warranty, there's nothing like warranty .. ur lappy spoil, u go join money collect another one or wait till the one you bought is repaired grin
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by AKBliv010(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2016
udemzy101:

Talking about warranty, there's nothing like warranty .. ur lappy spoil, u go join money collect another one or wait till the one you bought is repaired grin

So if you buy an Apple laptop new from GLO Ikeja Mall and 2days later it's faulty, you can't go back to the Apple store to have it repaired or replaced for free?
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 16, 2016
AKBliv010:

So if you buy an Apple laptop new from GLO Ikeja Mall and 2days later it's faulty, you can't go back to the Apple store to have it repaired or replaced for free?

I don't know about Apple, but when it comes to other brand, I'm talking from experience..

These service centers can be very funny, sometimes you'll wait for months just to get ur laptop repaired
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by computerboy: 10:41am On Oct 18, 2016
Nice one OP. Wonderful points you made there. Though it depends on the buyers budget. Some just want a cheap laptop whether fully functional or not.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by youngsahito(m): 11:45pm On Oct 18, 2016
pls, who have any idea of how much a London used dell will cost me?
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by AKBliv010(m): 5:36pm On Oct 19, 2016
youngsahito:

Bro there are so many models available either you give a specific model or state what your budget is.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by steric58(m): 5:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
Good evening Boss in d house, please i need a laptop that can handle gta V my budget is 90-100k please kindly recommend one for me, God bless you.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 27, 2016
computerboy:
Nice one OP. Wonderful points you made there. Though it depends on the buyers budget. Some just want a cheap laptop whether fully functional or not.

yeah.. some buyers don't care about cam, neatness as far as its going to deliver... no problem.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 27, 2016
youngsahito:

It all depends on the model...
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2016
steric58:
Good evening Boss in d house, please i need a laptop that can handle gta V my budget is 90-100k please kindly recommend one for me, God bless you.
Reply this please am also interested in it, BTW hp is more preferable
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 12:05am On Nov 02, 2016
BlueWizAngel:

a laptop with 1TB, 8-16GB RAM and 2GB dedicated...

lol budget 180-220k + in this present change..

dollar is high, laptop are scarce cos the exchange rate is high and clearing the goods is high too, the available system are sold at high price.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by computerboy: 10:40am On Nov 02, 2016
BlueWizAngel:

Rush and get this from Sellfish. Whenever my items arrives, I always sell these types even before listing them here
https://www.nairaland.com/3439887/hp-15-2gig-nvidia-dedicated

With dollar scarcity and banks blocking cards, the next set of laptops coming from this month won't be budget friendly.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 02, 2016
Sadly am not comfortable with the processor speed, and I think I av a thing for corei7 grin

Do u av any hp envy dv6, or something like this

12GB ram.......well 8 wouldn't b so bad
 1TB Hard disk......am not particular about hard disk size though, just something ok
 Intel core i7
 2point processor speed
 1GB NVidia Graphics Memory @least
 Backlit Keyboard
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 02, 2016
computerboy:

Rush and get this from Sellfish. Whenever my items arrives, I always sell these types even before listing them here
https://www.nairaland.com/3439887/hp-15-2gig-nvidia-dedicated

With dollar scarcity and banks blocking cards, the next set of laptops coming from this month won't be budget friendly.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 02, 2016
BlueWizAngel:
Sadly am not comfortable with the processor speed, and I think I av a thing for corei7 grin

Do u av any hp envy dv6, or something like this

12GB ram.......well 8 wouldn't b so bad
 1TB Hard disk......am not particular about hard disk size though, just something ok
 Intel core i7
 2point processor speed
 1GB NVidia Graphics Memory @least
 Backlit Keyboard

what's your budget?
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by youngsahito(m): 1:46am On Nov 03, 2016
AKBliv010:

Bro there are so many models available either you give a specific model or state what your budget is.
can I get a London used one around 30 to 35
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 6:35am On Nov 03, 2016
youngsahito:

sure
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 03, 2016
udemzy101:

what's your budget?

I need to know the one u have first my budget is reasonable.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 03, 2016
BlueWizAngel:

I need to know the one u have first my budget is reasonable.

2GB dedicated
core i7
keyboard light
touch screen

1TB, 8GB RAM

Asus
#190,000

I'll modify to show the pic
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 03, 2016
Back to the topic..

concerning the charging port, it's also advice able you charge the laptop and make sure the battery percentage increases..

A friend bought a sleek laptop, what spoil it was the charging port, at first he returned it to the seller, they thought it was the battery or faulty charging port ,both didn't work only for them to find out out it was from the motherboard.

so, make sure the battery percentage increase, even if it's 100%, use it to 95% then charge it there and make sure it increase to 100%.

I repeat, dont believe everything the seller tells you whether he is your brother or not, just make sure you confirm things yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by AKBliv010(m): 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2016
youngsahito:
Just to put this into perspective, N35k is roughly equivalent to £70...

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLAPASUX101CH7B#.WBsbefqLS00

You are better off with a china andriod tablet than this laptop trust me.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
AKBliv010:

Just to put this into perspective, N35k is roughly equivalent to £70...

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLAPASUX101CH7B#.WBsbefqLS00

You are better off with a china andriod tablet than this laptop trust me.

grin
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 03, 2016
youngsahito:

Compaq nc6400

quote me if you're interested, I'll send you the pic, it's clean
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
udemzy101:

2GB dedicated
core i7
keyboard light
touch screen

1TB, 8GB RAM

Asus
#190,000

I'll modify to show the pic

Baba sorry o na me find trouble grin what can I get with 110k
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by avaprincipal(m): 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2016
Good evening house, Pls I want to buy a new laptop and my budget is #75000. Pls I want to know which brand to purchase as I have never bought any laptop before. Pls I need opinions.
Re: How To Test A Used (UK) Laptop Before Purchasing by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 04, 2016
avaprincipal:
Good evening house, Pls I want to buy a new laptop and my budget is #75000. Pls I want to know which brand to purchase as I have never bought any laptop before. Pls I need opinions.

Add #10,000 to the money...

you will hardly see even Pentium brand new for that price, except AMD laptops.

laptops are very expensive now, I'll drop price list for you tomorrow.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Recover Files From A Formated Laptop / John McAfee Wanted For Murder In Belize / Indian Web Proxy Free Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.