Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise (1996 Views)

Kidnapper Evans: "What My Mum Told Me When She Saw Bullet Wound On Me" / Evans:my Mum Got Me Released From Police Costody / REVEALED: Why Nigeria Police Sent Publisher Of Sahara Reporters To Panti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by KnowOriginal: 1:36am On Oct 14, 2016
I have a main account, but decided to use this account for the purpose of anonymity, considering how sensitive this issue is

Mum has got relatives in the UK: Her elder bro, his wife, and his wife's sisters. There was a gentlemanly agreement between them and my parents and they loaned us approximately 1.5million last year.

However, the pay back terms were not clear. Dad told me that they agreed to be paying 70k every month until they have the 1.5million in block form to pay back. What that means is, as long as they dont have the complete 1.5m, they would keep paying the 70k monthly for as long as possible. Very Implicative! The ideal thing was to have agreed on a timeframe of payment with interest.

As at middle of this year, we had paid for 10months (thats 700k). But there was a fallout in the extended family, coupled with my parents being temporarily unable to do the 70k remittance due to other financial commitments

Instead of being empathetic, my mum's relatives started threatening fire and brimstones, promising to deal with my mum. We thought it was all a joke, yesterday evening...

My mum got served an invitation from PANTI CID. She was asked to come by 10a.m.

Apparently, my relatives had pulled some strings and fabricated lies against my mum at PANTI so much that mum got invited. She was asked to come by 10a.m. today. We have met a lawyer in our church who promised to go with us.

We absolutely have no fear whatsoever at all. Even though there was no documented agreement whatsoever, but my parents acknowledged that they owe them some money, and even told them to be patient that they would begin the payment by December this year until the payments gets up to 1.5m. This would have been a different case if we had denied owing them.

However, considering friday precedes weekend when no one can be bailed, we are worried about my mum being detained till next week monday

Please advise me
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by tellwisdom: 3:31am On Oct 14, 2016
Your own Na to come type story...How are you helping in paying this money??

1 Like

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by AuroraB(f): 3:41am On Oct 14, 2016
We absolutely have no fear whatsoever at all.
That's your answer, OP lipsrsealed
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by Askmewhy(m): 4:18am On Oct 14, 2016
Let her go with the lawyer they can't kill her the worst is that they may detain her till Monday. If after begging ur uncle refuse let the lawyer tell them to charge her to court. From there they will come to a term where she can be paying installmentaly
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by francisbarrack(m): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2016
No written agreement n y did they detain her?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by byteem: 8:57am On Oct 14, 2016
OWING MONEY IS NOT CRIMINAL AND THE POLICE ARE NOT DEBT COLLECTORS.. FOR YOUR MOTHER TO GET AN INVITE FROM THE POLICE .. IT MEANS THEY HAVE TRUMPED UP LIES TO CRIMINALIZE THE TRANSACTION ..

MOST LIKELY THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A PETITION AND HEADED IT OBTAINING BY FALSE PRESENCE AND TOLD LIES THAT YOUR MUM GOT THE MONEY OVER SOME FALSE PROMISE TO DO SOMETHING OR WHATEVER THE BOTTOM LINE IS FOR THE PETITION TO BE APPROVED IT HAS TO HAVE MADE SOME CRIMINAL ALLEGATIONS AGAINST YOUR MUM..

THIS IS HOW POLICE CRIMINALIZE DEBT AND CLAIM JURISDICTION OVER AN OTHERWISE CIVIL MATTER..

SOLUTION .. BE AWARE THAT LIES HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT YOU AND WORK TO CORRECT THOSE LIES .... ANY EVIDENCE OF THE LOAN ARRANGEMENT WOULD BE FINE.. ALSO EVIDENCE THAT YOUR MUM PAID BACK 700K IS VERY IMPORTANT.. BANK STATEMENT SHOWING PAYMENT .. EMAIL TEXT MESSAGE ANYTHING TO SHOW THAT IT WAS NOT OBTAINING BY TRICK...
ALSO LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO PAY THE MONEY BUT ARE CONSTRAINED DUE TO ECONOMIC REASONS..

AS LONG AS YOUR MUM DID NOT ISSUE ANY DUD CHEQUE . NO CRIMINAL CHARGES CAN BE BROUGHT.. AS SAID EARLIER A DEBT IS NOT A CRIME .. THE POLICE ONLY TRY TO CRIMINALIZE TO MAKE MONEY OFF BOTH PARTIES...

BE CALM AND DNT LOOSE YOUR COOL... IF THEY SAY U SHOULD BAIL.. ASK THE OFFENCE YOUR ARE BAILING FOR .. MOSTLY LIKELY U WILL .. SO HOLD SOME MONEY.. LIKE 10 0R 20K.. YOU CANT GO TO KINGS PALACE AND NOT PAY HOMAGE .. PANTI ARE NOTORIOUS FOR THAT.. BUT THEY HAVE SOME PRETTY INTELLIGENT COPS TOO WHO CAN BE REASONABLE ONCE IN A WHILE .. MOST TIMES ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY..

1 Like

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by byteem: 9:09am On Oct 14, 2016
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by KnowOriginal: 10:50am On Oct 14, 2016
byteem:
OWING MONEY IS NOT CRIMINAL AND THE POLICE ARE NOT DEBT COLLECTORS.. FOR YOUR MOTHER TO GET AN INVITE FROM THE POLICE .. IT MEANS THEY HAVE TRUMPED UP LIES TO CRIMINALIZE THE TRANSACTION ..

MOST LIKELY THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A PETITION AND HEADED IT OBTAINING BY FALSE PRESENCE AND TOLD LIES THAT YOUR MUM GOT THE MONEY OVER SOME FALSE PROMISE TO DO SOMETHING OR WHATEVER THE BOTTOM LINE IS FOR THE PETITION TO BE APPROVED IT HAS TO HAVE MADE SOME CRIMINAL ALLEGATIONS AGAINST YOUR MUM..

THIS IS HOW POLICE CRIMINALIZE DEBT AND CLAIM JURISDICTION OVER AN OTHERWISE CIVIL MATTER..

SOLUTION .. BE AWARE THAT LIES HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT YOU AND WORK TO CORRECT THOSE LIES .... ANY EVIDENCE OF THE LOAN ARRANGEMENT WOULD BE FINE.. ALSO EVIDENCE THAT YOUR MUM PAID BACK 700K IS VERY IMPORTANT.. BANK STATEMENT SHOWING PAYMENT .. EMAIL TEXT MESSAGE ANYTHING TO SHOW THAT IT WAS NOT OBTAINING BY TRICK...
ALSO LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO PAY THE MONEY BUT ARE CONSTRAINED DUE TO ECONOMIC REASONS..

AS LONG AS YOUR MUM DID NOT ISSUE ANY DUD CHEQUE . NO CRIMINAL CHARGES CAN BE BROUGHT.. AS SAID EARLIER A DEBT IS NOT A CRIME .. THE POLICE ONLY TRY TO CRIMINALIZE TO MAKE MONEY OFF BOTH PARTIES...

BE CALM AND DNT LOOSE YOUR COOL... IF THEY SAY U SHOULD BAIL.. ASK THE OFFENCE YOUR ARE BAILING FOR .. MOSTLY LIKELY U WILL .. SO HOLD SOME MONEY.. LIKE 10 0R 20K.. YOU CANT GO TO KINGS PALACE AND NOT PAY HOMAGE .. PANTI ARE NOTORIOUS FOR THAT.. BUT THEY HAVE SOME PRETTY INTELLIGENT COPS TOO WHO CAN BE REASONABLE ONCE IN A WHILE .. MOST TIMES ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY..

You are very correct sir. I was also surprised at the invitation from PANTI, coz i know they only meddle into criminal and homicide cases. Most likely, they have heaped up lies to criminalize the whole thing, like you said.

ALL the payments we made to them, we have proofs of. We also have proof of the initial money sent to us.

Thank you very much for your insightful comments. I really do appreciate. I will keep the house posted on how it all goes.
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by Donemmy(m): 1:34pm On Oct 14, 2016
KnowOriginal:

You are very correct sir. I was also surprised at the invitation from PANTI, coz i know they only meddle into criminal and homicide cases. Most likely, they have heaped up lies to criminalize the whole thing, like you said.

ALL the payments we made to them, we have proofs of. We also have proof of the initial money sent to us.

Thank you very much for your insightful comments. I really do appreciate. I will keep the house posted on how it all goes.
Follow , Byteem advice & dnt forget to make duplicate copies of all evidence in your possession. (Hard & soft copies)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by AUTOCRATIC(m): 1:52pm On Oct 14, 2016
Askmewhy:
Let her go with the lawyer they can't kill her the worst is that they may detain her till Monday. If after begging ur uncle refuse let the lawyer tell them to charge her to court. From there they will come to a term where she can be paying installmentaly
I will advice ce you don't don't let the case gets to court....court is not the next solution, you can try and settle the case amicably, ask your parent to raise some amount of money, maybe from 100k upward, that will show that they are serious about returning the money and establish that truly they are owing them, if your relative were able to settle the police with good naira, I bet it with, you will meet a different thing at the court. If you get to court, the judge may ask your mum to be bailed but before that, the condition of the bail might not be possible that very day and the next thing the judge will say is to remind her in prison till the bail is perfected..... Be careful, don't be pushed by people, it's something you can settle among them
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by laptopsforsale: 8:54pm On Feb 11, 2021
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by tunjiajayi: 10:23pm On Feb 11, 2021
Whatever the terms are, the police are not debt collectors, this is illegal, only a civil court has jurisdiction on such matters.

Tell the police you want court if the issue becomes intimidating or oppressive.

A good thing it is to pay back your creditors though
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 11, 2021
tellwisdom:
Your own Na to come type story...How are you helping in paying this money??

Lol.. your mouth nor go kill you. Chaiii...

Free her abeg.
Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 11, 2021
This is strong.

Well, instead of committing another offence by resisting arrest or not honoring their invite, I'll advise she goes there with you guys, including the lawyer. So at least he can plead for bail if theres need. Though I don't think they'll put her behind bars. She may just be required to write a statement of agreement when and how she'll pay up the money.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by charles009(m): 10:40pm On Feb 11, 2021
As a debt recovery professional, debt is not criminal so tell them to charge the case to court.once it gets to court is game over. with no written documentation case is good as closed. Mind you, reporting to the police is not the best bet, cos those guys will collect a percentage of whatever you guys pay.

Apparently your mum agreed to a 5% flat rate on the 1.5m. Which isn't bad if you guys have utilized the funds for shorter period of time.

It's good news the case is with the police, nobody will detain anybody. I will simply tell them to charge the case the court, and it will take 24 hours for this to happen. Then I tell the court I have lost my capacity to repay and can only afford 10k henceforth till funds is completed, the court will accept this lol. I

Your uncles get luck, if you had contacted me earlier I would have turned this case on its neck.

I am even struggling to win a valid fraud case in court, come be this one wey no document was signed. Chai, I go die the money lol..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by Karemarealty288(m): 11:09pm On Feb 11, 2021
She will make statement and get bail almost immediately.... Her relatives made mistake to go the police way ..come be Panti. I know the case is at the desk of Insp Benson.... grin na so so money money money Benson go dey beg them...even recharge card money.....they will collect 10% of total sum your Mom is paying them...you Mom can decide to pay for 5years.

Re: My Mum Got Served A Letter From Panti. Please Advise by BlueAir: 7:10am On Feb 12, 2021
sad And d woman was not arrested but invited so why detain her or ask for bail
byteem:

(1) (Reply)

Miami Cops Are Forced To Return $20,000& Guns Unlawfully Seized From Couple(Pic) / Mad-man Burnt For Stabbing Pregnant Woman And Her 5yrs Daughter In Lagos / People React As Cardio B Show Her Sexy Body With Husband On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.