Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar (60766 Views)

YOAAMC 2019: Junior Secondary School Girl Wins 100,000 And Other Prizes / Download Full BECE “Junior WAEC 2022” Timetable .PDF | Past Questions | Syllabus / Benue To Convert Junior Secondary Schools To Vocational Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by HomeOfMe(f): 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2016
Chaulay1:
Wow, remembering those days makes me nostalgic and I can’t help but relive those times again. I so so much loved reading, it was my very best hobby. I would stay awake all night reading novels and even the ones my sisters brought home didn’t escape me, I read them with or without their permission. Read most of senior classes literature while still in junior class including almost all the books mentioned on this thread so far. Recalling.....

Shakespeare – Much ado about nothing, twelfth night or what you will, Merchant of Venice, Romeo and Juliet, As you like it, Macbeth

African novel – Arrow of God, Joy of motherhood, so long a letter, Things fall apart, Man of the people, weep not child, No longer at ease, Efuru etc

Pace setters – Evbu my love, stone of vengeance, sweet revenge, too cold for comfort, love on the rock, mark of cobra, the wages of sin, sisi, the concubine etc

I used to have special interest reading James Hadley chase – safer dead, not safe to be free, no orchid for miss Blandish, sucker punch, the vulture is a patient bird, knock, knock who is there?, the way the cookies crumble, have a change of scene etc

Mills and boom series is not left behind. Can’t even remember their titles anymore.

I never knew a time will come when other things will take over my love for reading. Those days.......
Oh! Evbu my love and sisi" I read those novels back to back,which I could find them again..

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by sexymalato: 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
What about the sexy ginger
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by crystalmi(f): 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
Savvy2:

Partly... but mostly because I majored in the Arts side of school wink
I read all of them, not in the early 90s but late 90s and year 2000.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by fergie001: 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
psucc:
My favourite novel was WEEP NOT CHILD by Ngugi Wa'Thiongo.

It is an eye opener.
One of my best of all times.Njoroge and Mwihaki.
those days,we did it as a play b4 our literature teacher,and I had a crush back then,whom d teacher gave d xter Mwihaki and me njoroge.
"Weep not,Child,Weep not my darling.
With these kisses,let me remove your years,the ravening clouds shall not yet overflow,they shall not yet possess d sky."
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by boomssey(f): 7:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
Without a silver spoon.

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by emerich(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
Time changes yesterday, the bottled leopard, without a silver spoon etc.

2 Likes

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by boomssey(f): 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2016
Koku baboni
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2016
African child
the concubine
No longer at ease
old man and the sea
xuma
sunset at dawn
I was a voracious literature freak
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

- "The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives" by Lola Shoneyin

This book is an eye opener to some of the things that happen back door in polygamous homes..

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Tygg: 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

African Literature is world-class. There are many prestigious authors that I am very fond of and they enjoy international fame and recognition.

I have all Sefi Atta books at home Damiso.

I also recommend

- “I do not come to you by chance" by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
- "Night Dancer" by Chika Unigwe
- "On Black Sister's Street" by Chika Unigwe
- "Swallow" by Sefi Atta
- "The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives" by Lola Shoneyin

And of course all of Adichie's books. Do I have to mention Chinua Achebe? I don't think so. cheesy

Has anyone read "The other hand" by Chris Cleave (also known as "Little Bee"wink? He is British but grew up in Cameroon. The book is about a Nigerian girl / asylum-seeker. I have read the first few pages and it's promising. I heard it's taught in European schools. A film adaption is being developed and will be produced by Nicole Kidman. I guess, a book is always a better option. Most films disappoint when you have read the book but I will give it a try after I read it.

Cc: EfemenaXY kiss

Cococandy, are you into litertaure? kiss
Shaybebaby, Nubian999, HaneefahRN, MizMycoli, Mimzyy, what about you ladies? kiss

baba oo African books are hard to come by .abeg can you send me the ones you have .I'll appreciate ..email ::: neerduokoro@gmail.com
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by lindiwey: 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:

Am telling you

Did you also read "Time changes yesterday", Twelfth night..Can you remember some poems too like Nightfall in soweto, Richard Cory, night rain, ode to a graecian urn, oh elephant, e.t.c

2 Likes

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by prettyAdaolisa(f): 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
RGem:
Dizzy angel and passport of Malham ilia are very interesting
Burning grass by cyprian ekwensi too.
Efuru is also very interesting.

Dizzy angel was all about a girl named obanje right?
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2016
dfrost:
Although by early 90s, I was just leaving primary school and about to enter secondary school, I still had the opportunity to read some of the books listed here because my late elder brother was in the Arts division then.

Trials of Brother Jero
She Stoops to Conquer
Macbeth - my dad had this in his library way back
Julius Caesar - ¿E tú Brutus?
Animal Farm - Benjamin the old donkey
The Bottled Leopard
Romeo and Juliet Anthills of the Savannah
Merchant of Venice

what a beautiful childhood.
I so remember "Bottled Leopard"

How could anyone bottle a leopard?
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2016
Hernyolar:

This book is an eye opener to some of the things that happen back door in polygamous homes..

I liked the characters a lot. They are all unique and that is what makes the book so interesting. I also liked how they interact. The ending was a bit funny. cheesy

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by femolala001(m): 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:

Yeah pacesetters books tho i remember Evbu my love (later had a chic with that name in my ss1 grin)and the concubine.Lolsss Mills & Boon when they make my sisters burn food for house so we the boys had to investigate wetin dey omo na so boys hook ooo,we actually never read them sha just skipped straight to the sexy n erotic parts and my sisters had lots of them so they wont even know when its missing untill matter cast so they started handing it down to us after reading it felt weird tho when my sis would be like hve u read this one? lolss.I still loved comics sooo much and i don't play with my DC comics and Marvel too but i preferred DC.My best novels of all time where James Hadley chase novels, i had a lot of them i really don't think there's anyone i didn't read cos my elder bro was like addicted and he got me hooked on it too..it always felt like watching a movie while reading it & i would be in my bro's room playing jazz music that has heavy bass and good sax non stop on low volume..senior bro introduced me to this kind of music too (guys like Wynton Marsalis,earl klugh,Michael franks,Miles Davis,Louis Armstrong and the likes)..growing up was so much fun tho cheesy cheesy
I remember my seconary school days.. i wasnt really interested in literatute until i got to senior class especially ss2 when i wrote my GCE. i read so many literature textbooks precribed by waec and i fell in love with ```THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD BY BUCHI EMECHETA, BEGGARS STRIKE AND OUR HUSBAND HAS GONE MAD AGAIN...Although since then, i usuallu find it dificult to read a novel at leisure time except i want to write exam on it...To cut the long story short, i had a C in the exam..

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Impulse80(m): 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2016
Dyt:
I remember a few
Always been a lazy reader
But I remember them all

But the one that almost gave me a knock is Macbeth
I think that's where the greedy schelock wanted a pound of flesh
That's merchant of Venice.

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by lindiwey: 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=emerich post=50284553]Time changes yesterday, the bottled leopard, without a silver spoon etc.[/qu

I checked through the first page and was wandering if no one remembered time changes yesterday..lol I need to read that book again, the only character in my memory is enitan..

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by AMossley(m): 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2016
Let me mention few that I read but haven't been mentioned 1.the narrow path 2.boys at the border 3.the adventure of moni moabu 4.samakwe in the forest 5.a gift to the troubled tribe 6.the children of ananse 7.blood bath at lobster close 8.Cecelia 9.the director 10.joy of motherhood 11.one man one matchete 12.one man one wife 13.the Moonstone 14.king Solomon mines 15.mine boy 16.jane eyre 17.David Copperfield 18.paw in the bottle 19.the vulture is a patient bird 20.the man died 21.dogs of fear 22.kokumo omo odo agba 22.olorunsogo 23.ajitoni 24.talopa omoba 25.Cinderella let me pause here
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Dyt(f): 7:19pm On Oct 17, 2016
callola:
nope, shylock is the merchants of Venice

Impulse80:

That's merchant of Venice.

Thanks

cheesy cheesy
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by xnsandrxns: 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2016
Through the tunnel
Dialogue with mother
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Abujalandlord: 7:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
Time changes yesterday
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by shumuel(m): 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
dfrost:
Although by early 90s, I was just leaving primary school and about to enter secondary school, I still had the opportunity to read some of the books listed here because my late elder brother was in the Arts division then.

Trials of Brother Jero
She Stoops to Conquer
The Bottled Leopard
Merchant of Venice

Read all, watched both the Movies and the Cartoon.

Also Treasure Island, John Cruso
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by damilotun: 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
Also Koku Baboni
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Asiri1991: 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2016
Thank God for English Department, EBSU. This would have been a wrong thread.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Uniquexty(f): 7:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
The concubine. I still read it till date
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Unimaginable123: 7:37pm On Oct 17, 2016
dfrost:

Trials of Brother Jero
She Stoops to Conquer
The Bottled Leopard
Merchant of Venice

the funniest thing is that I was a science student, but I read all these books. Preferred literature in English to chemistry, biology and physics, but my dad forced me to read science, because, according to him "it's for brilliant people"
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Mollerboom: 7:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
dfrost:

Trials of Brother Jero
She Stoops to Conquer
The Bottled Leopard
Merchant of Venice

Adding to the list: The Great Expectation by Charles Dickson
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by CassieV(f): 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2016
The Virtuous Woman
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Hillarie(m): 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2016
Primary school days tho.. Bola begged for food Doctor Smart Obinna the honest boy Ralia, The sugar girl Sweet Mother Koku Baboni The boy slave Professors are human beings and other stories. Without a silver spoon

Yikes! The early 2000s was dope too
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Peacefultosin: 7:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
The Concubine by Elechi Amadi
The Drumer Boy- Cprian Ekwensi
Without a Silver Spoon
Twelfth Night
Gods are not to blame- Ola Rotimi

dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

The Lion & the jewel by Wole Soyinka
Never sparked my interest so i only followed it in class...i know it was abt two men fighting over one girl

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Fav characters: Oliver Twist,Faggin,Bill Sikes

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Fav character:Okonkwo

The Passport of Mallam Ilia by Cyprian Ekwensi
Fav character:the young,brave and rugged Mallam Ilia

An African Night’s Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi
Had little interest in this too only read along in class

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith
fav character: Kate

Dizzy Angel by Gracy Nma Osifo
fav character: that fine ogbanje girl and her wanna be boyfriend forgotten their names

Animal Farm by George Orwell
fav characters: Napoleon,Snowball,Old Major
i don't think i read this in my jss tho cos i later became a science student for 1 year before going to become a social science student and had to drop literature painfully..

Feel free to add yours

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by HaneefahRN(f): 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
Cc: Efemena.XY kiss

Coc.ocandy, are you into litertaure? kiss
S.haybebaby, Nubian.999, Haneefa.hRN, MizMyc.oli, Mi.mzyy, what about you ladies? kiss [/quote]

Yes, I am. My Dad ingrained the reading culture right from childhood. He would give us novels as gifts and when he travels, he would always try and buy us books (dizzy angel, Joys of motherhood, without a silver spoon, a cowrie of hope, bottled leopard, a man of the people, one man, one machete , things fall apart, a particular book written by a Ghanian, I really liked but lost, about the trials of a rape victim, can't remember the title, James Hadley Chase books, Oliver twist of course, had like 3 different paper backs and many more)
Can remember taking most to school where it is passed from friend to friend, some were lost, still have some. Those were the days.
Getting lazy these days though or just too busy for novels

I didn't have my JSS in the nineties but read most of the books outside class.

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 17, 2016
HaneefahRN

Yes, I am. My Dad ingrained the reading culture right from childhood. He would give us novels as gifts and when he travels, he would always try and buy us books etc. Can remember taking most to school where it is passed from friend to friend, some were lost, still have some. Those were the days.
Getting lazy these days though or just too busy for novels

I didn't have my JSS in the nineties but read most of the books outside class.

What is your favourite piece of writing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Salary For A Graduate Assistant In A Federal Polytechnic / WAEC Reacts To Nigeria’s Embargo On WASSCE / See magnified images of everyday items that will shock you

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.