Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

Programmers Of Cause - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers Of Cause (1231 Views)

Programmers Of Nairaland. I Need Help!!! / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate / Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers Of Cause by rushman003: 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2016
Recently i read a thread created by my fellow nairalander here
https://www.nairaland.com/3415778/reasons-why-programming-dangerous-profession, i just wanna say this! You are a genius!!!.

My thread is not to discourage programmers like dtml18, Dan, botya, and all my good friends here. I know i cant even do that grin cheesy cool.

But i have been thinking lately that programming as a profession in Nigeria is not fruitful unless you take your business the local way by sourcing for contract like other profession and this is the future of the world but our country is not in that level now.

So not to prolong matter, i have a lots of reasons for this, but i want to throw this out to all programmer on the forum, i think we should focus our energy more on creativity and the passion for what we do rather than investing our time, energy, IQ on someone dumbass business, lets build a tech eco system. Lets come together look out for ideas and develop it, lets create that robot they don't wanna see with our hands.

This is open to debate, what do you think guys?

1 Like

Re: Programmers Of Cause by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 18, 2016
Nay, I have found my own NICHE in this programming - and stuffs like this do not bother me anymore. With internet these days, a programmer can pretty much do anything.
#be wise, be like dhtml18 (or recession will catch up with you faster than you can blink)
Re: Programmers Of Cause by rushman003: 10:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
dhtml18:
Nay, I have found my own NICHE in this programming - and stuffs like this do not bother me anymore. With internet these days, a programmer can pretty much do anything.
#be wise, be like dhtml18 (or recession will catch up with you faster than you can blink)

Your Opinion sir! You can share your niche for other programmers with like minds tho grin
Re: Programmers Of Cause by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
All i got to say is that as a programmer with internet access, you dont need to restrict yourself to naija environs. You guys think i only troll on nairaland, no freaking way, i troll on other places too - and i get clients from everywhere i troll #fact
Re: Programmers Of Cause by rushman003: 11:42pm On Oct 18, 2016
dhtml18:
All i got to say is that as a programmer with internet access, you dont need to restrict yourself to naija environs. You guys think i only troll on nairaland, no freaking way, i troll on other places too - and i get clients from everywhere i troll #fact

You are quite right! And i bet you most programmers on the forum knows about such places where they can get freelance work... But we can't continue that because its not sustainable, you wanna tell me 60k job on freelance site which comes once a while can help build you as a man coupled with the fact that you are going to spend alot, these freelance job are just for surviving, remember it's not for Nigeria programmers alone, lots of programmer from different region will also be trolling, plus our environment is not conducive.
Re: Programmers Of Cause by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 19, 2016
Hmn, well, let others share their opinion too - before people accuse me of taking over the whole board.
Re: Programmers Of Cause by kingraj01: 7:45am On Oct 20, 2016
Most of those people here in Nigeria don't appreciate people walking up to them and showing solution on how to improve their business.
finally I think best way for Nigerian programmer to survive is:

1, Take programming has a hobby or passion.
2, Try to look around you, if you see any firm you can help improve their service or provide a better solution for. Try and approach them with a proposal but have it at the back of your that it is a gamble.
3, Try doing some project base work in your free time to boost your profile or portfolio. because I can give job to anyone who has nothing to show for the ones he did before.
4, Try to involve yourself in free project maybe for school,social group,churches or mosque even little business. it may not pay in cash but it does boost your skills and you portfolio.
5, You can try out any of those freelancer site whether you can find job there.
6, Most of those freelance job especially programming and web development deals with the rate you charge per hour. So try and negotiate better with your client.
7, Try having an online presence maybe on facebook, twitter and others to let people know what you can do.
8, Never give up. Nigeria will reach that height were you be needed to showcase your talent one day, so be Ready.

Just from my on perspective of surviving in a country which doesn't give much attention to tech and programmers.
Re: Programmers Of Cause by rushman003: 6:37pm On Oct 20, 2016
kingraj01:
Most of those people here in Nigeria don't appreciate people walking up to them and showing solution on how to improve their business.
finally I think best way for Nigerian programmer to survive is:

1, Take programming has a hobby or passion.
2, Try to look around you, if you see any firm you can help improve their service or provide a better solution for. Try and approach them with a proposal but have it at the back of your that it is a gamble.
3, Try doing some project base work in your free time to boost your profile or portfolio. because I can give job to anyone who has nothing to show for the ones he did before.
4, Try to involve yourself in free project maybe for school,social group,churches or mosque even little business. it may not pay in cash but it does boost your skills and you portfolio.
5, You can try out any of those freelancer site whether you can find job there.
6, Most of those freelance job especially programming and web development deals with the rate you charge per hour. So try and negotiate better with your client.
7, Try having an online presence maybe on facebook, twitter and others to let people know what you can do.
8, Never give up. Nigeria will reach that height were you be needed to showcase your talent one day, so be Ready.

Just from my on perspective of surviving in a country which doesn't give much attention to tech and programmers.

Great one king raj... So your verdict is that programmers should keep doing things that will take away their time or working for people that will look down on your skills, you said we will get there, when is that ? does that mean programmer should lay low and keep hoping? Or you are saying tech eco system doesn't worth trying even by fine tuning your skills
Re: Programmers Of Cause by codingground: 8:14am On Oct 21, 2016
all i know is that i love programming and am learning it all the way!! -html -css -javascript -ms access -my msql -python for now, later i will learn c++ then java!!!

(1) (Reply)

40 Free Online Courses To Learn Programming On Coursera / Who Can Help Me In Design My Website / Learn Power Bi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.