Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince (9996 Views)

Prince Nathaniel Osayande Dies In Accident Days To His Coronation / Lagos Declares Thursday Work Free Day For Buhari's Visit / Fayose Declares Thursday Half-working Day To Welcome Freed Finance Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by ajeleolowo: 4:11am On Oct 19, 2016
The Edo Government has declared Oct. 20 as public holiday in celebration of the coronation of the new Oba of Benin, Crown Prince Eheneden Erediauwa.

Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, the Secretary to the State Government, said in a statement on Tuesday in Benin that the public holiday is in honour of Erediauwa, who will be crowned the 39th Oba of Benin.

According to the statement, the public holiday would ensure a hitch-free coronation and give Edo people the opportunity to partake in the historic installation of the new Oba of Benin.

The events leading to the coronation ceremony commenced on Nov. 8 and the state capital had been agog with preparations and activities for the coronation.

History has it that the title of Oba in Benin Empire was created by Oba Eweka I, the Benin Empire’s first ‘Oba’, said to have ascended power between 1180 and 1300.

The Oba of Benin, then, was the Head of State (Emperor) of the Benin Empire untila the British annexed the Empire in 1897.

Prince Ehenede Erediauwa on Tuesday chose his coronation name after defeating Edigin N’Use in the traditional Akhue game( marble seeds).

Erediauwa, will however, officially announce his name during his coronation on Thursday at Urho-Okpota in Benin.

The crown prince entered the shrine at the Edigin’s Palace, after playing the game of Akhue with HRH Kelvin Ekpe Edigin, the Edigin N’ Use and thereafter chose his coronation name.

Abieyuwa Edigin, a highly placed family member in the Edigin Palace told NAN that the Akhue game was the climax of all the coronation ceremonies.

He said the Akhue game was cultural and traditional requirements that must be fufilled by the crown prince before he could be crowned as Oba.

Abieyuwa explained that the former Oba also played the Akhue game with Kelvin’s father, Robert Edigin, before choosing the name “Erediauwa’’( I have come to strengthen and prosper my people) .

He said the tradition started in 1200 AD during the period of Oba Eweka, whose maternal grand-father, Ogie-Egor, lived in the nearby village of Egor, in the present Egor Local Government Area of Edo.

According to him, when Prince Oromiyan left Benin, he left his pregnant wife in the care of her father the Ogie (Duke) of Egor.

He said Oromiyan’s wife delivered a male child who was dumb from birth and was sent to the maternal grand-father at ‘Use’ for treatment.

“But as the child could still not talk after, words were sent to his father at Uhe, who then sent seven magical Akhue with which the dumb prince participated in the popular village game known as Akhue.

“And with only one seed remaining on the ground after every other player had failed to strike it, the young prince used the magical Akhue from his father and struck the last seed. “In his excitement, he spoke for the first time and exclaimed the word `Owomika’ (my hand has struck it) later corrupted to Eweka,’’ he said
http://dailypost.ng/2016/10/18/coronation-edo-declares-thursday-public-holiday/

http://www.naijaparrot.com/coronation-edo-state-declares-october-20-public-holiday/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by EzePromoe: 5:01am On Oct 19, 2016
Long live the Oba!

5 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by martineinstein(m): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2016
iyare iyare!!! IYare!!!
Oba agha t'okpe e!.....ise!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Sijo01(f): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2016
Oba ghato okperé, iseeeee!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by ChappyChase: 8:16am On Oct 19, 2016
We too lazy for this country.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by MzMercie: 8:16am On Oct 19, 2016
Cool, may the Oba's reign know peace

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Debaddest(m): 8:16am On Oct 19, 2016
Public Holiday in the whole of Edo cos of Prince
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by benjamin007: 8:17am On Oct 19, 2016
D
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by superdanny10: 8:17am On Oct 19, 2016

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by benjamin007: 8:17am On Oct 19, 2016
S
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 19, 2016
Sijo01:
Oba ghato okperé, iseeeee!!!
iseeee!

4 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 19, 2016
2dugged:
iseeee!
Isi.
Asaa.
Asato.........

3 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by doskie(m): 8:20am On Oct 19, 2016
He say e go sand me.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Israelfx2(m): 8:20am On Oct 19, 2016
story
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Haphard(m): 8:21am On Oct 19, 2016
Nigerians and holidays ar like 5&6. But long live the king.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by sherif4owo(m): 8:21am On Oct 19, 2016
okay... prince
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Abbeyme: 8:22am On Oct 19, 2016
Without prejudice.

This is an event that would take place in one city, Benin City, and the whole of Edo State gets an holiday..

For what exactly, to make people available for the event. Or make the day Sancrosant.

When Queen Elizabeth was crowned, was there an holiday?
Here in Lagos, the commercial, economic and traffic capital of Nigeria, you may not even now when the Oba of Lagos is crowned.

No offence meant!

I just feel we have too many holidays in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by queenmonalisa01: 8:23am On Oct 19, 2016
long live the oba
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by MadCow1: 8:24am On Oct 19, 2016
Happy Wedding Anniversary to the Oba..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by vicola0281: 8:24am On Oct 19, 2016
make dem rigg d coronation sef
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by soberdrunk(m): 8:24am On Oct 19, 2016
grin They should just make it a "National holiday" nah!! Let us all celebrate our king together grin Long live the King!!! Oba a topor yeee!!(Edo people make una forgive my spelling ooo)

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by crisycent: 8:26am On Oct 19, 2016
martineinstein:
yaro yaro!!! Yaro!!!

Lol....Na iyare iyare.

1 Like

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by SPG4U(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2016
Reminds me of jumong
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by crisycent: 8:27am On Oct 19, 2016
vicola0281:
make dem rigg d coronation sef

Your case en....where dem go judge this one?

3 Likes

Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by kennyjam: 8:27am On Oct 19, 2016
E don tey wey I comment for this land
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by mikool007(m): 8:28am On Oct 19, 2016
look at his glasses hez probably bn waiting his whole life for dat cool
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by rubyradiance(f): 8:28am On Oct 19, 2016
martineinstein:
yaro yaro!!! Yaro!!!

Iyare Iyare Iyare
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by rubyradiance(f): 8:30am On Oct 19, 2016
crisycent:

Your case en....where dem go judge this one?
I wonder
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by buffalowings: 8:34am On Oct 19, 2016
ChappyChase:
We too lazy for this country.

I dey tell you

Which one be holiday again

Only God knows how much will be lost in economic activities
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 19, 2016
Abbeyme:
Without prejudice.

This is an event that would take place in one city, Benin City, and the whole of Edo State gets an holiday..

For what exactly, to make people available for the event. Or make the day Sancrosant.

Here in Lagos, the commercial, economic and traffic capital of Nigeria, you may not even now when the Oba of Lagos is crowned.

No offence meant!

I heard all market will be closed too
Re: Edo Declares Thursday A Public Holiday For Coronation Of The Crown Prince by sheedy407(m): 8:47am On Oct 19, 2016
Abbeyme:
Without prejudice.

No offence meant!

You cant compare Oba of Benin to Oba Of Lagos

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

snazzydawn - About Me / What Has Nairaland Taught You? / The Interesting Culture Of The Xingu Tribe In Brazil (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.