Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,363 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues (2226 Views)

God Has Ordained Orji Kalu To Speak For The Igbo –prophet / Must A Christian Speak In Tongue Before He Could Make Heaven? / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
I have often wondered if the current speaking i tongues being practised in today's pentecostal movement is the same as what happened to the apostles on the day of pentecost.

In the bible we were told that the apostles spoke in other languages that they had not previosly studied nor spoken,we were also told that nationalities of these languages actually heard and understood them in their native languages.

What otains in todays churches is that you see people speaking jargons like sha rereraaaaaakunukulaalala,
,why can't we have a repeat of the pentcost era where for e.g a yoruba man who has no knowlege of igbo being possesed by the holy spirit will now start preaching in igbo language
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
glorified madness tongue
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by cHeMiCaLmEnAnCe: 1:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
[color=#006600][/color]I'm not one to talk back when people try to bing reproach to the kingdom but, when people are being mislead, I feel I have to step in.(Its my calling)
Read acts of the apostles Chapter 2:4-13. Notice in verse the KJV called what they were utteirng "NOISE" Similar to the spiritual babble you hear today. In verse13, KJV says that people accused the apostles of being drunken with wine. The accusers were those who had no faith and therefore heard the babble instead of their mother tounge. Summary, the apostles spoke babble, the people heard language. Its a thing of the spirit. Speaking in tongues is (in my opinion) the biggest leap, of spiritual faith(GOD rewards faith)That why speaking in tounges packs a very heavy punch. Incase you are one of those slow people, just read CAREFULLY the GNB(good News Bible)
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Tonyet1(m): 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2009

Chuwkudi44 my friend, you'll have to experience it b4 you understand it, believe me!
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Eagle1(m): 1:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
chukwudi44:

In the bible we were told that the apostles spoke in other languages that they had not previosly studied nor spoken,we were also told that nationalities of these languages actually heard and understood them in their native languages.

Chemical did not address this issue from his response below;
cHeMiCaL mEnAnCe

link=topic=341619.msg4785746#msg4785746 date=1256300142:

[color=#006600][/color]
Summary, the apostles spoke babble, the people heard language. Its a thing of the spirit. Speaking in tongues is (in my opinion) the biggest leap, of spiritual faith(GOD rewards faith)That why speaking in tounges packs a very heavy punch. Incase you are one of those slow people, just read CAREFULLY the GNB(good News Bible)

This obviously does not answer the question. Does speaking in tongues mean babble or speaking languages from other lands? Now we also need a link to these practice. Does it mean that merely professing the faith means one can speak in tongues or pple are taught/practice how to do it?
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by wirinet(m): 3:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
For those of us who find the speaking in tongue babble quite intriguing, we need some sort of clarification on its benefits and use.

What do you gain during and after speaking in tongue? Are you Euphoric during the exercise or you are in a trance like state. will you have your prayers answered thereafter? ( but you do not know what you are saying). Also are tongues speakers at any advantage as against non tongue speakers?

How often are you required to speak in tongue - every day, every church service or every night vigil.

Does speaking in tongue show you are sinless and therefore will sin no more?

What exactly are the benefits of speaking in tongues?
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
wirinet:

For those of us who find the speaking in tongue babble quite intriguing, we need some sort of clarification on its benefits and use.

What do you gain during and after speaking in tongue? Are you Euphoric during the exercise or you are in a trance like state. will you have your prayers answered thereafter? ( but you do not know what you are saying). Also are tongues speakers at any advantage as against non tongue speakers?

How often are you required to speak in tongue - every day, every church service or every night vigil.

Does speaking in tongue show you are sinless and therefore will sin no more?

What exactly are the benefits of speaking in tongues?

good questions
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by agitator: 4:24pm On Oct 23, 2009
cHeMiCaL mEnAnCe:

[color=#006600][/color]I'm not one to talk back when people try to bing reproach to the kingdom but, when people are being mislead, I feel I have to step in.(Its my calling)
    Read acts of the apostles Chapter 2:4-13. Notice in verse the KJV called what they were utteirng "NOISE" Similar to the spiritual babble you hear today. In verse13, KJV says that people accused the apostles of being drunken with wine. The accusers were those who had no faith and therefore heard the babble instead of their mother tounge. Summary, the apostles spoke babble, the people heard language. Its a thing of the spirit. Speaking in tongues is (in  my opinion) the biggest leap, of spiritual faith(GOD rewards faith)That why speaking in tounges packs a very heavy punch. Incase you are one of those slow people, just read CAREFULLY the GNB(good News Bible)

It was seen as babble because most of the jews did not understand other languages, what took place is like yoruba speaking people in a purely yoruba community suddenly speaking ibo, hausa, kanuri, tiv, ishan, ijaw, ibibio, etc you can imagine how they will sound to their fellow yoruba kins.

stop teaching falsehood
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by MrCrackles(m): 4:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
Topic
Speaking in tongues is a fraud. . . .It is an absolute sham!
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2009
No one has provided answers to my questions ,what I asked was if the kind of speaking in tongues recorded in acts is being repeated today,where some one who haven't previously learnt a language now under the inflence of the hoy spirit is now able to communicate in that language. For e.g myself an igbo man under nthe influence of the holy spirit is now able to preach to people in other languages say french,yoruba,et.c and the french and yoruba peole actually understand my preachings.

What I hear peole say nowdays are bunch of indceipherable chants which no one understands being spoken by people who claim to be under the influence of the holy spirit,I was even made to understand that some people actually cram these jargons
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Eagle1(m): 12:08am On Oct 24, 2009
@chukwudi
pls tell them
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 24, 2009
christianity the home of INCANTATIONS,YEBOBOBOBOBOBOSHEKEKEKEKEKERERERERERRERARARARARARMIMIMIMIMIDODODODODODODODODODOMIIMIMIMIMIMIMIDADADADADADADADDD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SHIT INIT

@CHEMICAL MADNESS,See hypocrite"its my calling"
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by otokx(m): 3:15pm On Oct 24, 2009
they should ask timaya or fela how far?
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by ccollins(m): 5:28pm On Oct 25, 2009
It is because u don't understand the languages one speak when under the spirit.thats why u indirectly think they are foolish and they speak blabbles. Did the disciples know the languages they spoke when under the Spirit.i speak in tongues when i least expect it and its not a thing of joke or debate.it is a gift of the Holy Spirit.concentrating On God and being filled wit His Spirit.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2009

Insert Quote
It is because u don't understand the languages one speak when under the spirit.thats why u indirectly think they are foolish and they speak blabbles. Did the disciples know the languages they spoke when under the Spirit.i speak in tongues when i least expect it and its not a thing of joke or debate.it is a gift of the Holy Spirit.concentrating On God and being filled wit His Spirit

young man go and read ur bible again,when the apostles spoke in tongues people from places like meesopotamia,libya,medes,egypt e.t.c heard and understood them speaking in their own native tongues .This is quite unlike what is obtained today when no one knows the language spoken or even understands
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by JNdupu: 2:25am On Oct 26, 2009
Shebi u get mobile phone with latest video recorder? Next time u dey shak that concentration, record am and the combined intellect of NL go help u identify the language even if na eskimo one. Abi u too no dey curious?

ccollins:

It is because u don't understand the languages one speak when under the spirit.thats why u indirectly think they are foolish and they speak blabbles. Did the disciples know the languages they spoke when under the Spirit.i speak in tongues when i least expect it and its not a thing of joke or debate.it is a gift of the Holy Spirit.concentrating On God and being filled wit His Spirit.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by bawomolo(m): 2:53am On Oct 26, 2009
Tonye-t:

Chuwkudi44 my friend, you'll have to experience it b4 you understand it, believe me!

what kind of experience did you have?
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by MIKKYIJEGE(m): 4:16am On Oct 26, 2009
many of this guys that speaks in tongue are church deceivers.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues by AKO1(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2009

(1)

Trolling Christianity. / Witchcraft- Powers Of The Mind And Soul / Why Are Deeper Life Girls So Stubborn???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.