Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Tribalism In Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribalism In Marriage (2779 Views)

Sub-tribalism(clanship) In South-east Nigeria / How Do You Think You Can Eradicate Tribalism In African Societies / How Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky? No Tribalism Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism In Marriage by veek2(m): 11:19pm On Oct 22, 2009
My girlfriend (Her Dad - Igala, Her Mum - Igbo) and I have been dating for 3 years and when she informed her family of our plans to get married, they strongly opposed her. They only gave one reason - He is from Edo state. She seems to be succumbing to her family pressure and I need to do something fast before I lose her. I've met and pleaded with her mum but she remains adamant (Her Dad is late). I need some valuable advice urgently. Pls assist.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by manmustwac(m): 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2009
pregnate d girl, Dem go change thier minds by force.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 23, 2009
Pray about it. The mum might have had a bad relationship with her husbands people and is trying to protect her daughter. If you are serious about getting married, then take an uncle to speak to her on your behalf. It will re-assure the mum that her daughter will be accepted. Might not be 100% but it's better than nothing. Igbo people are more traditionally than tribalisitic, a lot of people don't get that.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by Kunbee: 1:42am On Oct 23, 2009
manmustwac:

Who said so
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chika98: 1:43am On Oct 23, 2009
Knock her up!
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by Kunbee: 1:45am On Oct 23, 2009
chika98:

Knock her up!

Chika things have changed oo
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chika98: 1:46am On Oct 23, 2009
Kunbee:

Chika things have changed oo

They love each other and they want to marry abi? Ehen Knock her up before her family confuses her . It CAN work my sister
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chic2pimp(m): 1:58am On Oct 23, 2009
manmustwac:

chika98:

Knock her up!
No mind them ooo. Impregnate wetin?
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chika98: 1:59am On Oct 23, 2009
chic2pimp:

No mind them ooo. Impregnate wetin?

Poster the time is of the essence. Get to work!
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chic2pimp(m): 2:04am On Oct 23, 2009
chika98:

Poster the time is of the essence. Get to work!

@ POSTER

I talk am again make you no mind dem. No go knock up anoda man pikin ooo.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chika98: 2:05am On Oct 23, 2009
chic2pimp:

@ POSTER

I talk am again make you no mind dem. No go knock up anoda man pikin ooo.

As if you won't do much more in his shoes. grin
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chic2pimp(m): 2:16am On Oct 23, 2009
chika98:

As if you won't do much more in his shoes. grin
I refuse to buckle under pressure grin grin grin cheesy

Abeg don't corrupt me oooo.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chika98: 2:17am On Oct 23, 2009
chic2pimp:

I refuse to buckle under pressure grin grin grin cheesy

Abeg don't corrupt me oooo.

I won't dare. Remember you are a "good" boy
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by chic2pimp(m): 2:22am On Oct 23, 2009
chika98:

I won't dare. Remember you are a "good" boy
Why do you find it so hard to believe? undecided.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 2:58am On Oct 23, 2009
If you are seriously bent on marrying her, then get her pregnant. It's that simple.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by oyinlaifa(m): 4:45pm On Oct 26, 2009
He shouldn't rush to pregnant the girl because the family says they would not allow you to marry their daugther simply because you are not the same tribe. If that what they want as for me i will leave the girl and seek for another. Why i say so is that there is reason for everything. cheesy
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by snowdrops(m): 5:10pm On Oct 26, 2009
Only narrow minded, ignorant and silly people discriminate on the basis of tribe, social status, colour, etc. On the one hand, you guys are both grown ups and capable of making your own decisions.
Lack of parental consent is not an absolute contradiction to getting married. You may enlist the help of close and more matured relatives to intervene and get her mum to agree. However, she may only do this reluctantly, and pose problems for you guys in the future. So, think deeply before you leap. Go with your head rather than your heart. Nigerians are quite conservative. These may be early warning signs to call your proposed union off.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:32pm On Oct 26, 2009
snowdrops:

Only narrow minded, ignorant and silly people discriminate on the basis of tribe, social status, colour, etc. On the one hand, you guys are both grown ups and capable of making your own decisions.
That is not true. People (anyone and everyone) discriminate any and every time.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by snowdrops(m): 9:35pm On Oct 26, 2009
We all have a tendency to belong to groups based on people we feel have things in common with ourselves and as such show some favoritism to those people. But when it becomes a problem is the intensity and how it affects our thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
If we believe that tribe is a primary determinant of human capability and that a particular tribe or its members is/are inherently inferior to ours, then there is a problem.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 3:36am On Oct 27, 2009
snowdrops:

We all have a tendency to belong to groups based on people we feel have things in common with ourselves and as such show some favoritism to those people. But when it becomes a problem is the intensity and how it affects our thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
If we believe that tribe is a primary determinant of human capability and that a particular tribe or its members is/are inherently inferior to ours, then there is a problem.
I think you're reading too deeply into such a case.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by sjeezy8: 3:49am On Oct 27, 2009
Get rich she will roll over and start calling you son.
Re: Tribalism In Marriage by AloyEmeka6: 6:26am On Oct 27, 2009
Easiest way to get an igbo man's consent to marry his daughter is to knock her up big time. He will worship and beg you till you marry her.

(1) (Reply)

Tribal Marks... / 27 Ways Black People Are Brainwashed From Birth / Americans Are Stealing And Copying Our Afrobeats Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.