Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,009 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Sounds Of Silence - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sounds Of Silence (379 Views)

A Moment Of Silence / Dagger In My Heart (a Story Of Rape And Child Abuse) Sounds Of Silence / Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna , Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sounds Of Silence by balogunrealone: 8:29am On Oct 20, 2016
"Mazi Okoro! Mazi Okoro ehh!! Mama Obinna! Where this people come pack their legs go for this early morning? Obinna! Obi!! Obinna eh!!! Nawa oh! See as their compound dry like say human beings no dey live here again; na here I go siddon wey dem go meet me. Mama Obinna must pay me my money." Obiangeli kept speaking to the trees and birds. She came around to the Okoros' home to collect her balance from the fees of the clothes she sold to them three days ago. The Okoros planned to sew these clothes and go to church as a family to celebrate the admission of their only child into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka when they met their untimely demise on their way home.

"Driver, wetin dey do your moto?" Obinna asked. "Na the brake dey give us problem before but I don repair am" the driver responded. The driver alighted off his vehicle and went straight to open the bonnet. He went searching all over the engine like he understood where the sound came from. He picked a stone to hit some parts of the engine that he "guessed" might be the reason for the sounds coming from the vehicle. As he restarted the vehicle and waited for 5 minutes without any sound being heard again, he concluded the vehicle was fine. No! There were silent sounds. Sounds too faint that they could be feigned not to exist.

They had barely moved 15 minutes without any sounds when the driver was caught struggling with the steering like he was in a UFC ring. "Driver, wetin happen?" Mazi Okoro asked with fears engorging his face. "I no sabi ooo but e be like say na the brake" the driver answered frantically with sweats dripping out of his skin.

Everyone in the vehicle except Obinna in the vehicle exclaimed "ewoooooooo" when they saw an oncoming heavy load, Mack vehicle. " God, take me away if only education is not good for my soul" Obinna sobbed. As he was about to ask God for forgiveness, the long vehicle hit them at the fore and the vehicle was shred beyond recognition. Everyone in the vehicle died instantly and their bodies were carried to the mortuary by security agents around.

Obiangeli was still all over the Okoro's house shouting on top of her voice ignorant of the evil that befell the Okoros when she was called by their neighbour who was being disturbed by her noises. "Obiangeli, wetin you dey look for?" Mama Amaka asked. You no know say Mazi Okoro, Mama Obinna and Obi die for accident three days ago? You no hear?" she pressed her further.

"Ewooooo! Ewooooo! Chineke meeee!
Obinna, Mazi Okoro, Mama Obi don die....Chaiiiiii. If na joke, stop am ooo, naso people dey die?!" She was now down to tears. As much as she had a soft spot for trouble, Obiangeli was very emotional and has never taken the death of anyone she knew easily. She cried all over the place and the Okoros' neighbours were the ones begging her to stop. They had shed their own tears for three days too.

The whole of the village knew something was wrong. She had knocked with nobody responding. She was ready to fight; not deafened by the sounds of silence that came from the Okoros' home. That they had died just like that was too grievous for her to accept.

"Mama Okoro! Obinna! Come back ooo! Come pay me my money oooo! Eeeeeee!!" Obiangeli shouted! She was now crying and shouting like the family were her blood relatives. People who came there pitied her and she was finally taken home by her husband who carried her on his shoulder with her legs flying.

She couldn't decipher the sounds of silence that greeted her first knock on Mazi Okoro's door; she heard something! She heard some empty sounds that felt like people were around. Alas! She heard no sound! All she ever heard were the sounds of silence because the Okoros were dead; and were not of the human clan again.

(1) (Reply)

Excerpts Of Morlandia / What Do You Have? / Internet Disease A Poem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.