Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Hijabs, Modesty And Respect - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hijabs, Modesty And Respect (1222 Views)

Get The Best Scarves And Hijabs / FIFA's Ban On Modesty / Observing Modesty - A Men's And Women's Hijab | Hassanain Rajabali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by spikedcylinder: 3:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
I was having this conversation with my Muslim best friend about women and how we are objectified. I asked her how she felt about wearing a hijab all the time (she doesn't actually wear one eventhough every other female member of her family wears a hijab and this always got me wondering). I have always assumed that Muslim women who have to cover their face are oppressed and almost invisible. She responded that although in many less developed countries women are oppressed and objectified, in other middle eastern countries women wore hijabs by choice (I'm wondering if this is true?). She people wear theirs because they know that by covering their faces a man would not see them only for their body or as an object of sexual pleasure.
This is the part that really tripped me out: She went on to say that ironically, many hijab wearers look at other women as the oppressed and objectified culture. She explained, that the idea of having to dress up, put on make-up, spend hours on one's hair, wear tight fitting and frequently uncomfortable clothing to appear sexy seemed very odd and sad. She elaborately suggested that the idea that women feel a need to be valued by their attractiveness was demeaning from their perspective. In addition she felt a lot of women in general have bought into the idea that their worth is based on how sexy men find them.

This thread is not an attempt to stir up a debate about which religion is better, I made this thread to make people think and step back and re-think some of the things we go through to feel good. If a man never saw your face or body, would you still feel confident and beautiful? Or do you only feel that way with weave, makeup, a jumpoff dress and heels on? Likewise the men.

If this is not in the right section, please feel free to move.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
these hijab wearers can be quite Hot and giving when you get them alone grin
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by mukina2: 4:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
^
they are not human beings right?
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2009
there are different types of hijab wearers.

Some women still spend a lot of time applying makeup, fixing their hair and trying to look good under the hijab, so its up to the individual cultures and type of Islam, how to interpret covering up.

some husbands also tell the wives the hijab is a protection from Hot men.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by olabowale(m): 10:58pm On Oct 23, 2009
lol. type of Islam? Aburo, buy a couple and try Hijab on. me, I respect a woman in it. her confidence goes a long way with me. i will force anyone to wear it, but i will not want a non wearer for a partner.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 23, 2009
olabowale:

lol. type of Islam? Aburo, buy a couple and try Hijab on. me, I respect a woman in it. her confidence goes a long way with me. i will force anyone to wear it, but i will not want a non wearer for a partner.

when you were in Nigeria, did you ever try correcting the people (mostly children) who would follow a burka wearer around, jeering and making fun of her? Especially in the market place.

all of una sabi blow air on the internet oh, but in real life una go just avert face.

abi was it only the rich hijabists that you interacted with- the ones who rode posh cars and had plenty of servants to do their shopping for them.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by olabowale(m): 12:07am On Oct 24, 2009
as a youth, what i knew then is pale to what i know now, as almost a grandfather. now, what is clear is that i now appreciate a hijab wearing woman, rather than a "dress down naked woman!"

i do not avert face, because i wear jilbab, most of the time, or nigerian clothing, in the usa. i dont like the word servant. and when you get married, dont call your househelps servants, because everyone of us is a servant of God. me Allah's, you according to you, trinit's; jesus, and ghost and father. now thats something.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by fizzybaba(m): 9:47am On Oct 24, 2009
@ poster; i can only wish ur post has no clandestine linings.if it doesnt, u have done well to provoke our thoughts and perhaps for once, give us the impetus to challenge the status quo.it will no longer be a case of everyone is doing it, i gotta do it.

@mr presdnt; i hope u dont have presidential ambitions cuz i cant stand a pervert,perverting and perverted president.

@mukina: did u get the thrust of the post? are we on the same page on the subject matter? just to be sure

@tpia: there is notin cultural here.use of hijab is about islamic civilization.people can however be found wanting in their quest to express themselves
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by mukina2: 2:21pm On Oct 24, 2009
my post was direct at the poster above me . At his comment.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 24, 2009
fizzybaba:

@mr presdnt; i hope u dont have presidential ambitions cuz i cant stand a pervert,perverting and perverted president.

what is perverted about doing a hijab woman ? like mukina said,they are also humans with feelings and needs! angry
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by spikedcylinder: 12:55pm On Oct 26, 2009
fizzybaba:

@ poster; i can only wish your post has no clandestine linings.if it doesnt, u have done well to provoke our thoughts and perhaps for once, give us the impetus to challenge the status quo.it will no longer be a case of everyone is doing it, i gotta do it.

Clandestine linings? My post is clean and clear, if you want to attach an ulterior motive to it then I'm afraid you've allowed the "my religion is better than yours" arguments give you serious paranoia.

tpia.:

some husbands also tell the wives the hijab is a protection from Hot men.

I don't think this is the primary reason for the hijab. Basically, it is to identify a Muslim woman - from the way she dresses and separate her from others.
Honestly, it doesn't say a lot about the men in a society if their women need to be covered head to toe for the guys to stay out of trouble. In fact, it tells me that the men are dogs.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Tudor6(f): 4:33pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^
Awwwww. . . .dats below the belt. . .
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by Tudor6(f): 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2009
@topic.
I dnt think make up is about objectifying. . . . The way you look helps your identity and mostly first impressions are made by what you can see before you have a chance to interact.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by focused123(m): 1:45pm On Dec 07, 2009
Hijab is not a sign of modesty neither is it a sign of respect. It is all deception.
Re: Hijabs, Modesty And Respect by spikedcylinder: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2009
^^^
Enlighten me.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Ramadan In Advance And Hoping For A 30days Bombing Cease-fire / How Dare You Give Us Ultimatum! Saudi Deports Additional 612 Female Pilgrims / New York: Muslims Prove Islam Is A Religion Of Peace By Handing Out Flowers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.