Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,264 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs (3528 Views)

Guinea Pigs Are So Friendly / Cool And Amazing Guinea Pigs / Loverly And Smarty Guinea Pigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2016
Checkout this guinea pigs that can fight

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:25pm On Oct 21, 2016
see..

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2016
dancing kukere!!!..

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2016
chop tire

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 10:45am On Oct 25, 2016
is it my fault..

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 6:33am On Oct 27, 2016
jerry and Collins are out for trouble beware of them

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 6:34am On Oct 27, 2016
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2016
am I wicked...

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 8:05am On Oct 27, 2016
when you want to sit very well who will help??

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2016
The guinea pig (Cavia porcellus ), also called the cavy or domestic guinea pig , is a species of rodent belonging to the family Caviidae and the genus Cavia. Despite their common name , these animals are not in the Suidae, or pig family, nor do they originate from
Guinea . They originated in the Andes , and earlier studies based on biochemistry and hybridization suggest they are domesticated descendants of a closely related species of cavy such as Cavia aperea ,
C. fulgida , or C. tschudii and, therefore, do not exist naturally in the wild. [1][2] Recent studies applying molecular markers, [3][4] in addition to studying the skull and skeletal morphology of current and mummified animals, [5] revealed that the ancestor is most likely Cavia tschudii.
The domestic guinea pig plays an important role in the folk culture of many Indigenous South American groups, especially as a food source, but also in folk medicine and in community religious ceremonies.[6] Since the 1960s, efforts have been made to increase consumption of the animal outside South America. [7]
In Western societies, the domestic guinea pig has enjoyed widespread popularity as a household pet since its introduction by European traders in the 16th century. Their docile nature; friendly, even affectionate responsiveness to handling and feeding; and the relative ease of caring for them, continue to make guinea pigs a popular pet. Organizations devoted to competitive breeding of guinea pigs have been formed worldwide, and many specialized breeds of guinea pig, with varying coat colors and compositions, are cultivated by breeders.
Biological experimentation on guinea pigs has been carried out since the 17th century. The animals were frequently used as model organisms in the 19th and 20th centuries, resulting in the epithet "guinea pig" for a test subject , but have since been largely replaced by other rodents such as
mice and rats . They are still used in research, primarily as models for human medical conditions such as
juvenile diabetes , tuberculosis, scurvy, and pregnancy complications.
History
The guinea pig was first domesticated as early as 5000 BC for food by tribes in the Andean region of South America (the present-day southern part of
Colombia , Ecuador , Peru , and Bolivia),
[8] some thousands of years after the domestication of the South American
camelids. [9] Statues dating from circa 500 BC to 500 AD that depict guinea pigs have been unearthed in archaeological digs in Peru and Ecuador. [10] The Moche people of ancient Peru worshipped animals and often depicted the guinea pig in their art. [11] From about 1200 AD to the
Spanish conquest in 1532, selective breeding resulted in many varieties of domestic guinea pigs, which form the basis for some of the modern domestic breeds. [12] They continue to be a food source in the region; many households in the Andean highlands raise the animal, which subsists on the family's vegetable scraps. [13] Folklore traditions involving guinea pigs are numerous; they are exchanged as gifts, used in customary social and religious ceremonies, and frequently referenced in spoken metaphors. [14] They also play a role in traditional healing rituals by folk doctors, or curanderos, who use the animals to diagnose diseases such as
jaundice , rheumatism , arthritis , and
typhus. [15] They are rubbed against the bodies of the sick, and are seen as a supernatural medium. [16] Black guinea pigs are considered especially useful for diagnoses. [17] The animal also may be cut open and its entrails examined to determine whether the cure was effective. [18] These methods are widely accepted in many parts of the Andes, where Western medicine is either unavailable or distrusted. [19]
Spanish , Dutch, and English traders brought guinea pigs to Europe , where they quickly became popular as exotic pets among the upper classes and royalty, including Queen Elizabeth I . [8] The earliest known written account of the guinea pig dates from 1547, in a description of the animal from Santo Domingo; because cavies are not native to Hispaniola, the animal was earlier believed to have been introduced there by Spanish travelers.
[1] However, based on more recent excavations on West Indian islands, the animal must have been introduced by ceramic-making horticulturalists from South America to the Caribbean around 500 BC, [20] and it was present in the Ostionoid period, for example, on Puerto Rico, [21] long before the advent of the Spaniards. The guinea pig was first described in the West in 1554 by the Swiss naturalist Conrad Gessner . [22] Its binomial scientific name was first used by Erxleben in 1777; it is an amalgam of Pallas '
generic designation (1766) and
Linnaeus ' specific conferral (1758). [1] The earliest known illustration of a domestic guinea pig is a painting (artist unknown) in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery in London, dated to 1580, which shows a girl in typical Elizabethan dress holding a tortoise-shell guinea pig in her hands; she is flanked by her two brothers, one of whom holds a pet bird. [23] The picture dates from the same period as the oldest recorded guinea pig remains in England, which are a partial cavy skeleton found at Hill Hall (Essex), an Elizabethan manor house, and dated to around 1575.

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2016
Guinea Pigs
Guinea pigs are tail-less rodents that are native to the west coast of South America and since the mid-1800’s, laboratories have used them for research. The correct name for guinea pigs is Cavy, pronounced “kay-vee”.
Guinea pigs usually weigh around 3 ounces at birth, around 1-2 pounds full grown, and live for 5-6 years. An adult will measure 8-10 inches from the tip of its nose to the end of its rump. Their hair comes in a wide range of colors and the hair may be long, short or short and curly. Cavies have a very good sense of smell and sensitive hearing. They love to vocalize with squeals, chirps, squeaks, and whistles. Although not known for their intelligence, they do recognize their owners and will seek them out and return affection.
Guinea Pigs as Pets
Guinea pigs are cuddly, comical, and clever. They make wonderful pets for children and can be very social animals. The animals do better in pairs as they prefer company, so unless you have a lot of time to devote to your pet getting at least two is often a good idea. They are not expensive to own and the biggest expense is the initial setting up of housing. Guinea pigs are hardy pets so veterinarian expenses are minimal.

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:39pm On Oct 29, 2016
Care Sheet
What do I need for my pet guinea pig?
Now that you have decided on a guinea pig as your pet you should have the cage and all the supplies necessary before bringing him home. This care sheet will guide you in having everything you need. Remember, cavies are chewers so choose his home accordingly.
Habitat
You will need a cage with at least 2 square feet of space for each guinea pig being housed in it. Always go with the biggest cage possible for a happy pet. Do not use wire mesh for the cage flooring.
A substrate or bedding for the bottom of the cage. Make sure you avoid wood shavings.
A stoppered or ceramic water bowl. Remember you guinea pig will play in the bowl and soil the water so a bottle may be a better choice.
A hay rack for hanging leafy greens, hay and grass to keep it clean and fresh.
A few wooden chew sticks or blocks plus some toys. Your pet will love toys he can nibble on, climb over, push around and bump with his nose.
A hide area for your pet to spend private time resting and feeling secure.
Food & Supplements
A commercial brand guinea pig food.
Hay and leafy green vegetables for your guinea pig to nibble on.
A vitamin C supplement.
Treats to add variety to your pets diet.

1 Like

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2016
Food & Diet
Guinea pigs love to eat but are very particular about their food preferences. They are strict vegetarians eating plant materials only. They will forage throughout the day and consume large quantities so it is important that they always have grass, hay and food available. Do not be alarmed if you see your pet eating its own feces, this is normal and helps the cavy recycle necessary nutrients and minerals.
Pellets
There are several excellent pelleted guinea pig foods on the market. These foods have all the ingredients necessary for your cavy’s health, but often exclude vitamin C.
Hay
Hay is an important part of your pet’s diet. It helps keep the teeth worn down and satisfies his need to chew. It also provides necessary roughage. You should not feed coarse hay that can injure the soft tissues of the mouth or hay that is moldy or dirty.
Leafy Vegetables & Fruit
There should always be a little bit of leafy vegetables in the feed rack at all times. Guinea pigs don’t enjoy cold vegetables so let them warm to room temperature before feeding them to your pet. As a treat, your pet may enjoy fresh fruit like kiwi fruit, oranges, grapes, strawberries, peaches, apricots and melons.
Supplements
Your guinea pig needs to have vitamin C to be a happy and healthy pet. Not providing this important supplement can be fatal. Luckily there are many supplements available as a liquid or chewable bites or treats.
Water
Guinea pigs drink a lot of water and a dry diet increases the need for water. Always provide more water than you think your pet will need.
Harmful Foods
Not all vegetables are good for your cavy. Avoid spinach, peanuts, beet tops, potatoes, iceberg lettuce, onions, garlic, cabbage and broccoli. Never feed your pet chocolate or candies.

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:41pm On Oct 29, 2016
Cage & Habitat
Your guinea pig requires a home that is safe and secure in order to keep him happy and healthy. A home includes a proper cage, the right bedding, hide areas, toys, and feeding supplies. Cavies are chewers, so wood and plastic cages are not suitable. They do like to tunnel in their bedding but do not dig. Wire mesh floors can cause serious injury to a guinea pig’s tiny feet and legs so the cage must have a solid bottom.
Guinea pigs do better in pairs as they prefer company, so unless you have a lot of personal time to devote to your pet you might want to consider having two pigs.
Cage
There are many commercially available cages that can make a wonderful home for your pets. Since they chew, the cage should not be made of wood. It should also have a solid bottom since wire mesh floors can hurt a guinea pig’s feet. You need about 2 square feet per cavy in a cage, but bigger cages make a happier pet.
Keep your pig’s cage in an area where the temperature does not get too hot or too cold. At temperatures above 75 degrees, a guinea pig could die of heatstroke. Keep the cage well ventilated but not drafty. Since cavies are more active during the daytime, place the cage in a well lit area.
Bedding & Substrate
There are many pelleted and shredded paper substrates that make excellent bedding and are commercially available. Wood shavings are not recommended since guinea pigs may chew on the bedding which can lead to serious health problems. Some wood shavings also have sharp particles and can be abrasive to sensitive feet or get into the cavy’s eyes causing injury.
Water Bottle
Guinea pigs drink a lot of water. Not only do they drink it but they also play in it and love sitting in a water bowl. So if you use a bowl the dirty water must be changed more than once a day. A stoppered water bottle is a good alternative. The bottle should have a metal tube so your pet won’t chew it.
Food Bowl
These animals love to eat, but feeding them can sometimes be a challenge since they will often play in their food bowl. There are many different types and styles of food bowls available. A bowl that is difficult to spill or can be attached to the side of a cage will keep messes to a minimum.
Hide Area
Every cage should include at least one hide area per cavy. These hideaways reduce stress and provide your pet with a safe and quiet place to rest. You can use a commercially available hide or something as simple as a flower pot or a large PVC tube.
Toys & Exercise
Guinea pigs are playful animals, but not really interested in exercise. They do love to nibble and chew so unpainted and untreated wood chew sticks are a must. A variety of toys that they can climb over, push around or chew will keep your pets happy and entertained. One toy you do not want to get is an exercise wheel. Wheels are bad for a guinea pig’s spine and could cause injury.
Cleaning
You pets’ cage will most likely need cleaned at least once a week. Guinea pigs are clean animals and dislike a dirty cage. Replace the bedding, wash the water bottle, food dish, toys, and any other areas that may smell with soapy water. Be sure to dry everything before placing stuff back in the cage.

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2016
Health & Illness
Guinea pigs are generally healthy when they receive good care and nutrition. To have happy and healthy pets give them a proper diet, fresh water, and a clean, safe habitat with toys for exercise. Unfortunately, even with all these things sometimes a guinea pig may become ill or injured.
When a cavy is ill, it becomes very fragile and its health can deteriorate rapidly. General signs of illness are hair loss, weight loss, panting, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, discharge, diarrhea and seizures. A sick pig is quiet, listless and dull. He may sit hunched up in a corner away from activity, people and cage mates. In the event of illness or injury, contacting your veterinarian is always recommended. Below is a list of some of the more common illnesses

Pneumonia
Pneumonia which is caused by a bacterial infection is the most common cause of death in cavies and symptoms may include wheezing or sneezing.

Urinary Stones
Small stones can form in the bladder or urethra and obstruct the outflow of urine. These stones are very painful and surgical removal is usually necessary.
Gastrointestinal Problems
Parasites, bacterial and viral infections, improper diet, stress or unclean cages can all cause gastrointestinal problems. These issues may cause diarrhea, constipation and bloat. Bloat is a medical emergency that is very painful and rapidly results in death. Signs of bloat are rapid heart rate, difficulty breathing, lack of appetite, inactivity, extreme pain and a distended abdomen filled with gas and fluid.

Eyes
Guinea pigs can get cataracts and pink-eye, but humans can not contract pink-eye from them. Eye injuries from sharp objects or bedding in the cage are other possible problems.

Ears
Ear problems may be caused by infection, injury or parasites. Scratching at the ears, head shaking, tilting his head to one side or a loss of balance are all symptoms of a possible ear problem.

Teeth
A common problem is when the incisors or molars of your pet do not grow straight. The teeth will not wear evenly, and may even grow into the roof of the mouth or cheeks. The teeth will need to be trimmed or filed back by your veterinarian.

Heatstroke

Do not leave your guinea pigs’ cage in direct sunlight, in your car, in an unventilated room, or in temperatures above 75 degrees. Symptoms of heatstroke are heavy breathing, laying on the belly, and even unconsciousness. If you find your pet with heatstroke, remove him from the area and submerge his body in cool, not cold, water. Give him fluids and contact a veterinarian.

Guinea pigs don't bite

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:50pm On Oct 29, 2016
the guy with the gun

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:51pm On Oct 29, 2016
love line

Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by samshoz(m): 12:26pm On Oct 30, 2016
Pls where did you purchase from?
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 3:23pm On Oct 30, 2016
samshoz:
Pls where did you purchase from?
which part of Nigeria are you in??..
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by samshoz(m): 8:38am On Oct 31, 2016
redon12:

which part of Nigeria are you in??..
Sango, Ogun state. But I also work in Ikeja, Lagos
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by redon12(m): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2016
samshoz:
Sango, Ogun state. But I also work in Ikeja, Lagos
you can order it online true this link
http:///search?query=guinea+pig
I have them in our area a lot but am very far from you..
Am in Kaduna
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by samshoz(m): 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2016
redon12:

you can order it online true this link

http:///search?query=guinea+pig

I have them in our area a lot
but am very far from you..

Am in Kaduna
I have someone in Bauchi/Jos, can we arrange? Whatsapp 08020903112.
Re: Check Out My Trained Spy Guinea Pigs by Jaebaifa1: 6:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
Hi, this is coming late but how do you get the hay and pellets to feed your guinea pigs, plz I need it. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Xxxxxx For Sale... / Lizard Or... / My Sweetheart Birthed 8 Puppies This Morning 20k each holla me .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.