Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,614 members, 7,827,311 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Nigeria, Dangote And Arsenal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria, Dangote And Arsenal (373 Views)

AFCON: Dangote, Otedola to Super Eagles: You will get $75k for every goal Scored / Former Ivory Coast And Arsenal Defender, Emmanuel Eboue Is Dead / Ex-ivorian And Arsenal Star Emmanuel Eboue Is Dead!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, Dangote And Arsenal by zakim(m): 10:21pm On Oct 22, 2016
If Nigerian football were in proper shape, the country ought to be looking forward to the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon, after the conclusion of the group draw.

Unfortunately, Wednesday’s event in Libreville, Gabon’s capital, only serves as a very stark and deeply painful reminder of the depressing depths that the Super Eagles, champions of Africa only three years ago, have sunk to.

Our conspicuous absence, from a second Nations Cup tournament in succession – an unprecedented humiliation for the nation – should remind the custodians of the national game – the Nigeria Football Federation – that qualifying for the 2018 World Cup is their ‘last chance’ bus journey.

Nigerians, myself included, will not be interested in any ‘cock and bull’ stories, should the Super Eagles fail to reach Russia. One can only hope that the team’s bright start against Zambia in Ndola, under manager Gernot Rohr, is a harbinger of redemption.

Gernot, from the conversations I have had with him and the manner in which he has managed the Eagles, so far, is keen to make a personal mark with Nigeria. He is not just here for a paycheque. But Herr Rohr requires all the backroom support to succeed. And that is not in place yet.

Believe it or not though, my first column on this page is not about the Super Eagles. Or the Nigeria Football Federation.

On Monday afternoon, I spent time with Mr Aliko Dangote, who certainly needs no introduction to anyone in this country. Before getting him for a one-on-one chat, Dangote spent the better part of that afternoon with 100 students, from the Executive MBA class of the Lagos Business School.

They had come on a visit to the Lekki Free Trade Zone, where Dangote Industries have sited the world’s largest refinery and a fertilizer plant. The complex is seven times the size of Victoria Island.

Dangote, a keen supporter of the English Premiership side Arsenal, made it very clear to me that he is determined, at the “right time,” to launch a bid for a controlling interest in the Gunners.

“It has been my club for a very long time. David Dein, who used to be the Vice-Chairman of the club, was actually a very good partner of mine. We had been dealing with sugar and that is when I developed interest and kept on going to their games,” Dangote told me. “So, I have been a fan of the club from 1986/87, which is almost 30 years now. I want to acquire majority shares that will give us control.”

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/nigeria-dangote-arsenal/

(1) (Reply)

Iheancho Must Fight For More Game Time: Guardiola / Pogba Is The Best Midfielder In The World-mourinho / Tottenham - Chelsea (9pm)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.