Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! (2892 Views)

Use Escrow Service To Avoid Payment Fraud/scam When Buying Pets / 15 Weird Pets In History That People Dared To Keep / The Fight Against Parvo Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 3:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
Over some months I joined nairaland pet forum it has been educating, Fun and very pleasing to meet more breeders but one fact has held me put on purchasing pets from this site which is "the fear of scammers" because only few people here knows each others.I raised this topic to get opinion from fellow pet lovers on how to make sure the pet you bought gets to you without the fear of the seller eating your money without the delivery of your pet, because I had wanted to buy an Eskimo here sometime this month though the price was attracting but the thoughts I had was
1.I don't know this guy how sure am I he will deliver the pet to me.
2.how sure am I that the pictures he sent me was the real picture of the pet I was buying.
3.who is gonna deliver first (should I be the first to pay or should he send the pet then I will send the money to him.
4.or should I pay part payment before delivery and complete it after it must have been delivered to me.
5.how sure am I the pet is in good health because I don't know the main reason why he is selling his pet.
Many thoughts really came through my mind so I decided to share this so that we will all air our view to make nairaland a better pet market.
And please I stand to be corrected if am airing my view in a wrong perspective.
THANKS.#NvyFarms.
please Oga seun I want to hear your owe opinion ooh as the CEO

1 Like

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Seun(m): 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2016
You should probably meet the seller in person to inspect the dog and make the payment. Take your vet doctor with you to examine the dog.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
Seun:
You should probably meet the seller in person to inspect the dog and make the payment. Take your vet doctor with you to examine the dog.
what if you guys are far away like you are selling from north and am buying from east how possible is it to take your vet there and back the possibility is tiny very tiny for a dog that might just be 50k or less
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2016
Surely63:
what if you guys are far away like you are selling from north and am buying from east how possible is it to take your vet there and back the possibility is tiny very tiny for a dog that might just be 50k or less

Sincerely, I'd advice you to find a breeder in ur town to buy it from. Don't do all these long-distance transactions; majority of them are scams. The difference will be less than 20k at most, which is worth it considering the risks involved...

2 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 9:05pm On Oct 23, 2016
Surely63:
Over some months I joined nairaland pet forum it has been educating, Fun and very pleasing to meet more breeders but one fact has held me put on purchasing pets from this site which is "the fear of scammers" because only few people here knows each others.I raised this topic to get opinion from fellow pet lovers on how to make sure the pet you bought gets to you without the fear of the seller eating your money without the delivery of your pet, because I had wanted to buy an Eskimo here sometime this month though the price was attracting but the thoughts I had was
1.I don't know this guy how sure am I he will deliver the pet to me.
2.how sure am I that the pictures he sent me was the real picture of the pet I was buying.
3.who is gonna deliver first (should I be the first to pay or should he send the pet then I will send the money to him.
4.or should I pay part payment before delivery and complete it after it must have been delivered to me.
5.how sure am I the pet is in good health because I don't know the main reason why he is selling his pet.
Many thoughts really came through my mind so I decided to share this so that we will all air our view to make nairaland a better pet market.
And please I stand to be corrected if am airing my view in a wrong perspective.
THANKS.#NvyFarms.
please Oga seun I want to hear your owe opinion ooh as the CEO

Lemme answer your questions one by one cos I almost fell victim of something similar on Jiji.com
1. You are not sure he'll deliver to u! since u don't know him, he's most likely a scammer.
2. You are not going to be sure; most of these guys will send u fake pictures all in the bid to get ur money.
3 and 4. You have to promise to pay for transport. If You will be buying, ONLY PAY ON DELIVERY. If he insists to be paid part or even transport fare before bringing the dog, he's likely a scammer
5. If you can't see the dog before paying or he can't bring the dog to u before paying; forget it! If he's sure of himself, he'll bring it. And if you don't like what u see, courtesy demands that u help him with transport fare back...

2 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 9:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
My encounter with the Jiji.com scammer

Abt a year ago, I wanted a Boerboel puppy and contacted a 'dog-seller' on Jiji.com. She sent me a lot of pictures but I suspected the background was not Nigerian. She promised to help me for 40k cos I just lost my dog. Then she made me suspicious by promising to add a puppy cage and the next vaccine I would need. She also spoke about bringing the puppy to Ibadan(through her driver) all at no cost... during the fuel scarcity period! I then reasoned that with all the packages, her gain wouldn't surpass 15k! Whatta generous breeder.
She then made a request that I pay half of the money into her driver's account so they would know that I am for real. I told her it was risky and she began to preach on how she can't scam me and the likes. In short, she agreed that I pay 10k. In all our conversation, she never asked for my exact location in Ibadan... all she needed was the money.
I knew she was most likely a scammer cos her offer seemed too good to be true and her demand was too riskky so i decided to pull the plug but not until I called the number. It was a guy using 'Female magic voice'! Thank God I applied some wisdom. The guy would av just used my money to eat pepper soup.
I'll post the pictures of our chat tomorrow... whatta country

2 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 9:34pm On Oct 23, 2016
fabulouskay:

Lemme answer your questions one by one cos I almost fell victim of something similar on Jiji.com
1. You are not sure he'll deliver to u! since u don't know him, he's most likely a scammer.
2. You are not going to be sure; most of these guys will send u fake pictures all in the bid to get ur money.
3 and 4. You have to promise to pay for transport. If You will be buying, ONLY PAY ON DELIVERY. If he insists to be paid part or even transport fare before bringing the dog, he's likely a scammer
5. If you can't see the dog before paying or he can't bring the dog to u before paying; forget it! If he's sure of himself, he'll bring it. And if you don't like what u see, courtesy demands that u help him with transport fare back...
you are just telling me what I wanted to hear thanks
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Falcone52x: 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2016
Surely63:

We all must be weary!

Read this top 10 buying tips:http://www.breed9ja.com/top-10-buying-tips/
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 9:21am On Oct 24, 2016
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 10:22am On Oct 24, 2016
Falcone52x:

We all must be weary!

Read this top 10 buying tips:http://www.breed9ja.com/top-10-buying-tips/
thanks for the headsup the article is so nice

1 Like

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by ImFortress(m): 8:50pm On Oct 25, 2016
What if the seller agrees to Send without cash and the buyer in Lagos dissapoints, who bears risk?
Who sends the pup back
Who takes care of it before going back to the seller
What if the pup falls Ill in transit due to stress.

All these what ifs are what the real people fear too.

2 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 10:08pm On Oct 25, 2016
ImFortress:
What if the seller agrees to Send without cash and the buyer in Lagos dissapoints, who bears risk?
Who sends the pup back

Imfortress you are right but in accordance to what he said its better to meet the breeder in person social media is not just enough to trust anyone unless you wanna take the risk involved or you have done business with the person in previous yes or you know someone that knows the seller
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Namdeenero(m): 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2016
ImFortress:
Who sends the pup back

Very good question bro.. Lemme write from experience I had selling my last pup, this lady called me lastweel Wednesday that she needs the pup and we both agreed on price, I stay in owerri and she stays at Asaba. Initially I thought she needed the pup the next day cos I wanted to rehome the pup before I travelled on Sunday, when she told me she'd need the dog during the weekend I told her I can't sell to her cos it's always a first come first serve basis,this woman pleaded with me that she loves the dog and I should just keep her till weekend and promised to buy. She asked if I was going to deliver the pup and I said no she'll have to come down to owerri amd pick the pup herself and she said she can't come due to her schedule so I decided to deliver the pup to her myself, Owerri to Asaba is almost 5 hours journey.. Fast forward to saturday morning, I called her and she said I should start coming so I got in the first bus only to get to Asaba to findout this woman had switched off her phone, I called and called. I was soo angry with myself I couldn't believe that shit was happening but I had to just comport myself and head home.. Sold the dog the next day in Owerri sha. Most time I don't blame breeders for asking for payment before delivery cos some clients can be very wicked

3 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2016
ImFortress:
Who sends the pup back

NO BREEDER WILL AGREE TO SEND WITHOUT CASH! As the online breeder can't be trusted, so can the buyer not be trusted. Do u actually think a 'normal Nigerian' will get a pup and pay afterwards? smiles. The solution to the mutual distrust is to meet in person and conduct ur transaction...

2 Likes

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 10:34pm On Oct 25, 2016
Namdeenero:
Very good question bro.. Lemme write from experience I had selling my last pup, this lady called me lastweel Wednesday that she needs the pup and we both agreed on price, I stay in owerri and she stays at Asaba. Initially I thought she needed the pup the next day cos I wanted to rehome the pup before I travelled on Sunday, when she told me she'd need the dog during the weekend I told her I can't sell to her cos it's always a first come first serve basis,this woman pleaded with me that she loves the dog and I should just keep her till weekend and promised to buy. She asked if I was going to deliver the pup and I said no she'll have to come down to owerri amd pick the pup herself and she said she can't come due to her schedule so I decided to deliver the pup to her myself, Owerri to Asaba is almost 5 hours journey.. Fast forward to saturday morning, I called her and she said I should start coming so I got in the first bus only to get to Asaba to findout this woman had switched off her phone, I called and called. I was soo angry with myself I couldn't believe that shit was happening but I had to just comport myself and head home.. Sold the dog the next day in Owerri sha. Most time I don't blame breeders for asking for payment before delivery cos some clients can be very wicked
Hmm... everyone get genuine reasons sha

1 Like

Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2016
fabulouskay:

Hmm... everyone get genuine reasons sha
yea namdi you are right shaa buh we are looking for proffered solution to stop that nonsence.......can I get your watsapp contact am in owerri too bro
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Namdeenero(m): 10:33pm On Oct 29, 2016
Surely63:
yea namdi you are right shaa buh we are looking for proffered solution to stop that nonsence.......can I get your watsapp contact am in owerri too bro
The solution remains going over to inspect the pup you wanna buy. Then whereby the seller is staying very far, you can either send someone who stays close to the seller to go inspect the pup on your behalf.. 07035912641
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 11:12am On Oct 30, 2016
Namdeenero:
The solution remains going over to inspect the pup you wanna buy. Then whereby the seller is staying very far, you can either send someone who stays close to the seller to go inspect the pup on your behalf.. 07035912641
yea nice one here that's why we are here to make friends with breeders from other states so as to help with the matter at hand thanks anyway you gat a point
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Palletboss27: 2:35pm On Oct 30, 2016
if you havent met the breeder before or the breeder has not met the buyer before i dont think there should be any selling or buying ... the first thing that has to come in place is either you know the breeder or someone you are sure that knows the breeder i dont see any way you can send money to such person ... i did a bussiness transaction with a mide guy ... the first time we met and since then i can send my money to him if i dont have the breeder and he has it and i get my dog the very next day ... so the buyer and the breeder must see first before any trust can come to play
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2016
Palletboss27:
if you havent met the breeder before or the breeder has not met the buyer before i dont think there should be any selling or buying ... the first thing that has to come in place is either you know the breeder or someone you are sure that knows the breeder i dont see any way you can send money to such person ... i did a bussiness transaction with a mide guy ... the first time we met and since then i can send my money to him if i dont have the breeder and he has it and i get my dog the very next day ... so the buyer and the breeder must see first before any trust can come to play
nice opinion pallet but what is the essence of selling our puppies online looking for customers to buy,its just for both the people we know and the people we don't know to buy but I support the"getting to know or see the buyer first before transactions could be made thanks
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by fabulouskay(m): 11:14am On Oct 31, 2016
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Namdeenero(m): 4:18pm On Oct 31, 2016
fabulouskay:
This is a typical example: www.nairaland.com/2675909/adult-german-shepherd-pair-lhasa
Lol, the thread funny die
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 10:25pm On Oct 31, 2016
fabulouskay:
This is a typical example: www.nairaland.com/2675909/adult-german-shepherd-pair-lhasa
my tummy ooooh I wan die with laugh thanks to that guy called trinity he is a genius I hail am well...the scammer just hibernate lol thank bro that shit was real tho
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 9:52pm On May 25, 2017
Surely63:
nice opinion pallet but what is the essence of selling our puppies online looking for customers to buy,its just for both the people we know and the people we don't know to buy but I support the"getting to know or see the buyer first before transactions could be made thanks
I think this is the best cos over the recent past the problem is growing daily
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Surely63(m): 2:29am On May 17, 2018
Surely63:
I think this is the best cos over the recent past the problem is growing daily
so said and done loud and clear
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Rany4all(m): 9:09am On May 17, 2018
I know this topic is old but OP just revived it, so I'll like to submit my own take on this issue.

1. The world, including that of business, has gone global and I think the Nigerian pet industry should follow suit. We should embrace and encourage online business, even in the pet industry, rather than limiting the growth potential of the industry by sticking to our old ways of doing business.

2. Business, whether on or offline, is all about reputation, integrity and track record. Any serious breeder who wants to make it big in this business must have a fair bit of all three. Customers, including Nigerians, buy online all the time from companies like Amazon in the US, Aliexpress in China, Konga and Jumia in Nigeria, and so on. Some of us have even imported dogs from abroad without meeting with the breeders physically. This is because these companies or individuals have built reputation over time and their track record is there for all to see. I have done business successfully with breeders on Nairaland without meeting them physically because I carried out my due diligence before committing my resources.

3. On the issue of payment before delivery, the way I see it is that if we are to embrace online business, then payment before delivery is the best way to go. Even big businesses like konga recently discontinued 'pay on delivery' because their are so many naughty people out there that will place orders and then fail to turn up to receive the delivered goods. Having said that, before I commit my financial resources on any online transaction I make sure the company or individual I'm dealing with has a fairly good reputation and a track record that is there in plain site for all to see.

4. If we limit ourselves to having to meet and inspect pup with a vet before buying then, I'm afraid, Nigerian breeders will remain small time businessmen forever. Nigerian breeders should be aspiring to have their own websites, delivery systems and even exporting their products to other countries.

5. Scams do not only occur online. One can also be scammed in real life. We should rather be looking for innovative ways to check online scams instead of discouraging online business. We should encourage customers to give reviews or feedback on their online transactions, whether good or bad. This is the best way for breeders to build their online reputation and track record. Online business is the way to go. We will remain 'small' if we think 'small.' This is simple economy of scale. If breeders have more costumers, their turnover will automatically be higher, so they can produce more, reduce cost of production per unit unit and ultimately increase their return on investment.

Just my opinion anyway!
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by TIDDOLL(m): 9:30am On May 17, 2018
Ok..
Lets say i want to get a puppy from Grandiose in KD
Or Household in Abia

And i live in Ilorin...will that be too risky??
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Rany4all(m): 9:50am On May 17, 2018
TIDDOLL:
Ok..
Lets say i want to get a puppy from Grandiose in KD
Or Household in Abia

And i live in Ilorin...will that be too risky??
I believe those two have good track records that speak for them, so the risk is very minimal.

I have personally bought 2 DDR pups from Household in the past...paid in full before delivery. In fact I paid and had to wait another 4weeks to get them because they were too young at the time of payment (one was just 2 weeks and the other 5 weeks old). Household wanted to deliver each of them seperately when they clock 8 weeks as any reputable breeder should, but I suggested he delivers both same time after 4 weeks, when the younger one clocks 6 weeks and the older one 9weeks. I received my pups exactly as agreed.

That shows integrity and if he keeps that up, his business will continue to grow.

By the way I reside in Bayelsa State, while Household is in Aba, Abia State and I have never met with him one on one.
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by arcbay(m): 9:53am On May 17, 2018
Hello y'all.

Kindly permit me to give my opinion on this issue.

1. No breeder will send you a pup without cash. You don't expect a breeder in Jos for example, to send a pup down to you in lag without receiving full payment of the pup. You don't expect General Mohammed to leave his facility and go to a park to you a pup (with or without full payment).

2. Since there's the issue of trust, the best way to it, is to look for a friend or breeder who resides in the same town with the Seller. Let them confirm the seller's house address, confirm the realness of the dog too.

3. The Pet industry is fast growing and i can tell you for free, that there are breeders in every single state in Nigeria. If i need to buy a pup from a seller in Kaduna for example, i sure know a lot of kaduna breeders i can call to confirm the realness of the seller.

4. That's the more reason we preach that all pet lovers interact and mingle, to make a better canine community. There are a lot of groups, clubs, associations, etc in every state who share this same passion for pets. The canine world has brought me closer to a lot of people, contacts, affiliations, etc.

Most times i hear of issues relating to scam, all i do i laugh because most scam victims are the greedy and gullible buyers. When an offer sounds too good to be true, you don't need an angel to tell you to run. A seller can't offer me a Tibetan Mastiff for 100k and expects me to keep the conversation going.

I hope the above stated will help.

Thank You.

Regards,
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by TIDDOLL(m): 9:55am On May 17, 2018
Rany4all:
I believe those two have good track records that speak for them, so the risk is very minimal.

I have personally bought 2 DDR pups from Household in the past...paid in full before delivery. In fact I paid and had to wait another 4weeks to get them because they were too young at the time of payment (one was just 2 weeks and the other 5 weeks old). Household wanted to deliver each of them seperately when they clock 8 weeks as any reputable breeder should, but I suggested he delivers, and both same time after 4 weeks, when the younger one clocks 6 weeks and the older one 9weeks. I received my pups exactly as agreed.

That shows integrity and if he keeps that up, his business will continue to grow.

By the way I reside in Bayelsa State, while Household is in Aba, Abia State and I have never met with him one on one.
Thanks alot...really helpful.
Planning to get two pups from household*
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by Rany4all(m): 11:48am On May 17, 2018
TIDDOLL:

Thanks alot...really helpful.
Planning to get two pups from household*
You're welcome...but my writeup is not a recommendation please. Just take it as a review or feedback on my personal transaction with household in the past (Jan 2018) and use it to make an informed decision.
Re: The Fight Against Scam Of Selling Pets Here!!!! Anti-scam!!!! by adisabarber(m): 12:32pm On May 17, 2018
HOW TO KNOW SCAMMERS ON NAIRALAND

SIMPLE

They always have puppies for sale. Everyday single day of the year, they have puppies for sale. Sometimes just 1 puppy (I know dogs can give birth to one puppy but how can a breeder always be advertising 1 puppy?) . Big head rott, small bone chow-chow, bow legged Pitt bull, hunch back GSD. Different confusing names. Most times they can never show you a picture of them with the puppy. No picture of the parents, no other evidence. They act like they are busy when you ask questions as if 100k is small money. Once you see ANY of these warning signs, find your dog go front.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Empire Rottweiler Pedigree Puppies / Morning Paparazzi With The Dogs / Parvovirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.