Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,187 members, 7,953,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:40 PM

My Experimental Snail Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Experimental Snail Farm (1897 Views)

My Snail Farm with minimum Cost and Labour. See Pictures / Join Our Snail Farm Training Whatsapp Group Now / My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2016
I have been doing a lot of research online about snail farming...I have practically spent the last 3 months consuming as many information I could find on the subject matter.

Well I saw both positive and negative information...so I decided to do a little experiment of my own.

This experimental set up is to find out the basics needed in a real snail farm...

I would be paying attention mainly to the types of food eaten by snails; their water requirements and prevention of pest attack.

I hope to apply the information gathered on my farm visit (it is advisable to visit a real farm before setting up yours) before I setup my real farm later in the year kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
Basic information about the experimental Farm

Start Date : 16/10/2016

Estimated End Date: 13/11/2016

Duration: 4 weeks

Number of snails : 4

Specie : Achatina Fulica

Housing : see picture below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by annunaki2(m): 8:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
What exactly are you experimenting? Four snails is too small to do any meaningful experiment on snail farming.
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2016
annunaki2:
What exactly are you experimenting? Four snails is too small to do any meaningful experiment on snail farming.

Well as a process Engr I know 4 snails are not too small for the factors I'm looking at...as long as the operating conditions are the same, with 4 snails I can simulate what happens to 4 000 snails

For this experiment i would be paying attention mainly to the types of food eaten by snails; their water requirements and prevention of pest attack.
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 10:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
OBSERVATIONS

So I have had the snails for 7 days now and these are my observations

1. Snails are very good escape artists...as soon as I put them in their new home they tried all they could to escape (the reason I put some weight at the top )

2. They do not need any encouragement to mate...after trying to escape the next thing was to mate...even before eating.... cheesy

3. On the 4th day I had eggs laid already...

More will come later...need to tuck in my son
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by eay(m): 10:31pm On Oct 23, 2016
You can join our snail farming e-class for free
Just drop ur wassap number with your name...and you will get added....
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Tolumiii: 11:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
pls add me 07058191862 seun
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Following(m): 7:04am On Oct 24, 2016
U can learn the only theoritical aspects on the internet, trying out with even 1 snail gives u an edge over the internet farmer who has none and the passion starts to build up. op your experimental snail must taste well for my mouth
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by sharperino(m): 9:04am On Oct 24, 2016
eay:

1 Like

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Bintexy(f): 12:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
Please ADD me - 08028926729 Bintex

eay:

1 Like

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by ONWARDBABA: 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2016
08056179311 PROSPER
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by JP7Farms: 4:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
Hi, pls add my number 08056928025
Thanks.
JPFarms
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 5:49pm On Oct 24, 2016
More Observations

Soil
They enjoy moist loamy soil...The soil should not be water logged or damp...It should just have enough moisture to make it a cool resting place...

3 of my snails sleep by digging into the soil at night...The 4th likes hanging from the top of their home

Feeding
I feed them every evening at 6pm, their appetite is quite high especially when they are about to lay...I noticed one was eating more than the others and was eating very noisily...only to discover it laid eggs some days later

I have fed them 4 different foods in the last 7 days. Okro leaves, paw paw leaves and water melon. They enjoyed the red juicy part of the water melon more than the water melon skin...Their least favorite now are Okro leaves, they didn't eat it much...egg shells are the 4th feed given to them but I usually give it to them in addition to the normal food.

They enjoy fresh meals
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 5:51pm On Oct 24, 2016
Following:
U can learn the only theoritical aspects on the internet, trying out with even 1 snail gives u an edge over the internet farmer who has none and the passion starts to build up. op your experimental snail must taste well for my mouth

True...don't worry @following them go sweet die wink
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 7:34pm On Oct 26, 2016
Learning so much from this project...didn't know snails had love darts
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by meekohli: 2:15am On Oct 27, 2016
07081820144....xclusive
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by chucks231(m): 6:46am On Oct 27, 2016
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by martyns200(m): 2:52pm On Oct 29, 2016
Kindly add me please 08023107057
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 5:51pm On Oct 29, 2016
eay:

I don't know anything about this group
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 5:53pm On Oct 29, 2016
Snails love vegetables and leaves
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Aashik(m): 10:12pm On Oct 30, 2016
Boss add me up 07036488448
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 6:57am On Oct 31, 2016
Snails doing great....2nd snail laying

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2016
Nice one.... You can check out my thread as well on snail farming. I once started small like this. Hoping to restart on a bigger scale though. Just need to out a few things in order.

Where's your location??
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 11:03pm On Oct 31, 2016
Neduzze5:
Nice one.... You can check out my thread as well on snail farming. I once started small like this. Hoping to restart on a bigger scale though. Just need to out a few things in order.

Where's your location??

Nice thread u have on snail farming...I'm in the F.C.T
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Asaye77(m): 11:37pm On Oct 31, 2016
add me 08029549388
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 9:35am On Nov 07, 2016
Project going great...

All snails and eggs in perfect condition....

They love to eat ugwu leaves, spinach,lettuce is one of their favourite meals...They also love cucumber....

With the right meals and the right moisture in the soil (I wet the soil every 2days).

They are happy

2 have laid eggs so far...The 3rd has been burying itself in the soil a lot since yesterday so I'm guessing it will soon lay some eggs....

The 4th isn't matured enough so for now it just eats and sleep

Note: Ensure there is enough food distribution because they tend to fight (they bite each other) over food if its put in one location

1 Like

Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by EngrSaks(m): 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2016
Yep the 3rd snail just layed a couple of eggs...so much eggs ☺
Re: My Experimental Snail Farm by Rey33: 5:07am On Oct 23, 2021
Good morning sir, pls kindly chat me on WhatsApp, there is something I want to share with you...pls

(1) (Reply)

Rabbits For Sale In Abeokuta / Abakaliki Rice Sales / Yellow Spots On My Watermelon Plants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.