Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,648 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? (4310 Views)

Graduates Or Employees Who Want To Go Into Business But Lack Finance / Before Going Into Business / Looking To Go Into Business: Any Ideas As To What Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by boyalinco: 4:47pm On Jan 05, 2007
@rubbermaid,i pray gods not tired of naija oh
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by akamihe(m): 7:41pm On Jan 05, 2007
@Rubbermaid.
My dear with all due respect, I must tell u tht I'm very disappointed tht u could say such unpleasant things abt ur nation from faraway Califonia like u claim. Pls stop painting 9ja blacker than it really is. I will cont. to say it, fraud n internet scam is not peculiar to 9ja. Distrust in all remification is not peculiar to 9ja. The Americans, the Britons, the Germans, the Russians, etc are all into it. 4get sentiments, we are not all saints here I knw, but we have very 'clean' pple here too. And they are plenty too. God is not tired of us abeg. Rgrds.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by hbrednic: 10:04pm On Jan 05, 2007
rubbermaid, na you god dey tired of no be naija cos the despite your name callings,nigerians economy is waxing strong every year. you invest ooh or you no invest that na your business.may be your are living in a saints nation,where they angels attend your business and god is your banker.

yeye dey smell angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by rock2(m): 10:46am On Jan 08, 2007
Hey! the major problem is that Great Nigeria is still a lawless nation and some nigerians believe they can get away with anything. If there is a high probability of fraudsters being caught and punished, fraud will reduce. By the way, the success of internet scams by nigerians is sometimes due to the presence of a little greed in the victim.

@Rubbermaid
       I think you just offended 120 Million+ Nigerians. I believe God will prove himself otherwise.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 1star4ever(m): 2:10am On Jan 10, 2007
cool
Yes. I can go into a business with any one. But with N. I would have to pay extra attention to what he or she does.
Most N. some may say can never be trusted because their fellow citizens have lost the nations trustworty in the world.
Any business that you go into any where in the world, if you say that you are a N. Every one will wake up.

Is it a bad thing or good thing to screw some one up as long as you benefited from it financially? You be the judge.

N. have oil. Most igbos don't seem to know what happens to these great resource. The other tribe have taken over the country by selling their main natural resources to the W. man. So, the only thing that most I. men/women can do and do it well will be to fraud people for financial gain. If the government is involved in some kind of illegal activity, then what's wrong with another fellow citizen screwing people up for money as long as it's not immoral but it doesn't have to be legal?

If you disagree, go figure.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by k9(m): 2:36am On Jan 10, 2007
I will take this topic from a different angle, and more specifically address it to both the author of the topic and people in his shoes who feel like they do.

If you say you find it hard to trust Nigerians, perhaps only those resident in Nigeria, I put this question to you: If you were living in Nigeria, and as upright and decent as possible, don't you think other Nigerians living abroad would still see you as fraudulent and dishonest and all other qualities you ascribe to those resident in Nigeria. Your "saving grace" is basically because of your location, nothing else. Remember that you have the same "nigerian blood" running in your so you most likely have the tendency to behave like a Nigeria. It's just that simple. Non-Nigerians would almost always consider Nigerians, no matter where they reside, as the same kind of people.

Another angle, if you have blood brothers and sisters living here, that you know very well and can vouch for their uprightness, how would you feel if someone (a fellow nigerian) were to label them as you now do I'm sure it would offend you in some measure. That is probably the same way it is "offensive" to many who read your post.

I do not deny the fact that there is a truism in what you say and what many other people say and agree on, that many and perhaps very many Nigerians have fraudulent tendencies, heck I agree with you as well, and am always on my toes when I have to deal with people. But hey, so what. If we must take it from a 'nationalistic' point of view, just about every country on earth has it's own national flaw, from americans to the brits to the germans. Instead of looking at WHAT someone does look at WHY they do it. (This is not even not mentioning how bad and unjust it is to stereotype.) Understanding that will help you possibly solve the problem. But of course that really isn't your job, that belongs the government and the powers that be(parents, teachers etc).

So finally, before you cast a stone, so to speak, make sure that the stone wont come back to you. And if it just might come back to you, it is perhaps better not to throw that stone. And if you insist on throwing, be ready to face the consequences. But then again, perhaps it is ok to throw a stone at yourself, if it is meant to do an internal personal cleansing of some sort.

That's my take on the matter.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 1star4ever(m): 2:45am On Jan 10, 2007
cool
If people are saying that most N. screw people up for financial gain. It woun't bother me. I will just claim I not one of them, by the way, I haven't gotten a
kobo from the oil riched nation. How can I be part of it? You be the judge.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by eolutosin(m): 1:30pm On Jan 10, 2007
It is not about the nationality of the person you want to do business with, it is all about trust. If you find it hard to do business with a Nigerian, how will you be able to do business with some which you may not know where he comes from. Settle the problem of trust and you will be able to do business with anyone.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by NoniLover(m): 5:19am On Jan 15, 2007
Unfortunately, there are dishonest people from all walks of life, not just Nigerians.

I think it's extremely unfair to 'judge' a whole country on the actions of various unscrupulous individuals.

And of course it's mainly the 'scammers' that seem to get the most publicity, and I am sure that they are probably really in the minority.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by lovelychap: 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2007
I will do business with a Nigerian if there is any positive profitable prospects. Nigerians are no bad people,the era when Nigerians are stigmatized as 419 people is no more. Today Nigerians are known as hardworking people ready to make it in life.
Nigeria is presently a Gold mine with an economy that is on the growing side, a miracle land.
I see no reason why i should not do business with a Nigerian.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 19, 2007
yeah nigerians are sweet in bizz, they fraud you and you fraud them then u make lotta cash
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 8oracle(m): 6:47pm On Jan 19, 2007
There re fraudsters, scammers littered all over Europe, the continental USA, Asia and Far East Asia, name it, these re not Nigerians, Hence going into business with a fellow Nigerian whom i can see is far far better than one faceless whiteman i havent seen.Thats why these white fraudsters and scammers have found a fertile avenue online.

Corrupt business practices was even rampart during the time of Hammurrabi, Business is all about agreement spelt out to terms and condtions no hold bare, even if with your blood brothers.

For those who cant trust their brothers here in Nigeria, how much have you added to their living condition, do you give them fish by throwing down the so called dollars or what ever it might be called.
Do you go into business with one who dont know pro and cons of running business? I have been in business for over 17years all at one time and other are fellow Nigerians.AGREEMENT DRAFTED, TERMS AND CONDITIONS SPELT OUT, EACH PERSON KNOWS HIS POSITION ETC.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by munai(f): 2:18am On Jan 20, 2007
NO!

No TO THE POWER 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by akindayor(m): 2:31am On Jan 20, 2007
I'm in business with friends in church
partnering 2geda forming an entertainment outfit
he's got d time and ideas i ve got d money an mgt skills
so far its working fine no hassles yet bt b4 d monies strt comin
we 'll go to the lawyers and lay evry tin bare
SPELL/SPILL IT OUT!
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Radiant(f): 2:51am On Jan 20, 2007
My parents been doing business with Nigerians and it's that Naira they make that is sustaining me where I am! kiss

I can go into business with anyone I feel I can work with. It's not a national problem, it's a personal problem here. smiley

I agree the fraud and corruption rate is high but not every Nigerian is "born with a fraudulent gene" ! Please don't say God is tired of Nigeria 'cause HE's not. smiley
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 8oracle(m): 5:53am On Jan 20, 2007
akindayor:

I'm in business with friends in church
partnering 2geda forming an entertainment outfit
he's got d time and ideas i ve got d money an mgt skills
so far its working fine no hassles yet bt before d monies strt comin
we 'll go to the lawyers and lay evry tin bare
SPELL/SPILL IT OUT!

Business whether with your blood brothers or church or christain brothers must be guided by written agreement,(Terms and conditions clearly spelt out,nothin left) before the business goes into full swing.
In your case, Your fellow church member have the idea that can be called ROA (return on assets) which can aslo be seen as unseen money.
With his idea, it is onus on him to bring in the (ROI) Which involves the capital you put in.

Profit sharing ratio shall be in most cases 20% alloted to the company, 30% to your partner,50% to your self.The contract will reflect a healthy spirit allowing your partner to buy into the company future.(Under this initial condition, your profit ratio stands at 70%)Remeber if you re incorporating a company for this business, your partner will not be allotted any share, but can be assigned the position of Non executive director, BUT being your church member to give him a sense of belonging lets say out of 1000000 share eg he might allote him 20,000shares.

At his early stage the money purse must be within your oversight, for example any major items (Lets say from 20k) to be bought shall be in the presence of you two.
Formost the contract will contain what is called strategic exit term, where you partner who have the idea shall not exit from the company within the first five years.
Lastly Do you have the adequate sum to run the company before the money starts coming in? if he have given you a budget of 500k, pls add 30%.

I repeat business is all about contract,drafted to terms and conditions, trust, intergrity, firmness of character and honesty. Though these maybe present, do not admit gentle man agreement. The bible warned that in the last days people will not be open to any agreement (2nd Timothy 3:3)
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by ruescho(m): 10:03am On Jan 20, 2007
Let me post another experience: in the past was doing some business with guys in the North.

As a Christian I am very ashamed but I have to admit:

Moslems are more honest business partners, why not us?
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 8oracle(m): 5:10pm On Jan 20, 2007
ruescho:

Let me post another experience: in the past was doing some business with guys in the North.

As a Christian I am very ashamed but I have to admit:

Moslems are more honest business partners, why not us?

Such a need do not arise.There is an Ibo saying that goes like this "What is in the home of a rat, is also in the home of a squirrel)
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by ruescho(m): 10:56am On Jan 21, 2007
8oracle:

"What is in the home of a rat, is also in the home of a squirrel)

?
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 8oracle(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2007
ruescho:

?

ruescho my boy!, thats a wise saying, sort it out for yourself. It is also said, "When one demands an interpretation to a wise saying,or a proverb, the dowry paid on his mother's head is all in vain".
Adios!
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by seeker(m): 9:05pm On Jan 21, 2007
@ruesco, your experience is not a reflection of "Nigerians", but rather, your family members.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Radiant(f): 11:15pm On Jan 21, 2007
8oracle:

ruescho my boy!, thats a wise saying, sort it out for yourself. It is also said, "When one demands an interpretation to a wise saying,or a proverb, the dowry paid on his mother's head is all in vain".
Adios!

wink grin
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Things(m): 4:40pm On Jan 23, 2007
@ K9, Phoenixman,naijacutee kiss to you guys i like ya write up, good thinking.

Thank God, that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, however some opinions can be annoying that it shows how myopic some people can be.

I been ignoring this topic sometime now, cos its no topic,

Now if i cannot do business with a Nigerian who can or should i do business with? Angels? I am particularly surprised @ some "OREOS"* living abroad, "won pe e lo'le oun gbe omo eran jo"* you guys in US can not pretend to not to see a documentary on one  of the channels describing Nigeria(n) as FRAUD, and here you guys are saying same things about yourselves ah na wa oooo.

*OREOS= its a biscuit black on the outside but white inside.
*"won pe e lo'le oun gbe omo eran jo"=?? someone help me pls, any Oreos can.thank u
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 1star4ever(m): 7:55pm On Feb 08, 2007
cool
If you check out the worlds' most corrupt nations. Nigeria should be number 1 or 2 or 3. If you disagree go figure.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by seeker(m): 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2007
1star4ever:

cool
If you check out the worlds' most corrupt nations. Nigeria should be number 1 or 2 or 3. If you disagree go figure.

Why not do yourself a favour and check the link below and stop publishing ignorance.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2006
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by 1star4ever(m): 1:24am On Feb 09, 2007
cool
Ignorance is not listening to daily world news and going online to look at outdated statistics crafted by politicians. Maybe I wasn't clear
about what I wrote. Again I wrote, "If you disagree go figure." Do you need some one to explain that to you? I know that there are some primay school students who will read that and shut up.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by seeker(m): 1:06pm On Feb 09, 2007
Ignorance is simply not knowing, and it's more accute when you refuse to check up data, and keep up to date.

TI stats are not made by politicians and they as current as last year.

I did disagree, and there was nothing to figure out. tongue
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by egoldman(m): 7:52pm On Feb 10, 2007
actually the yearly reports from transparency international is not that bad on Nigeria ,it has been positive for Nigeria in the last two years at the least ,below are some statistics from their site ;

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2001 ranks 91 countries.
Nigeria placed 90,less corrupt than just one country (1.0989010%)

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2002 ranks 102 countries.
Nigeria placed 101,less corrupt than just one country (0.9803921568627451%)

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2003 ranks 133 countries.
Nigeria placed 132,less corrupt than just one country (0.7518796992481203%)

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2004 ranks 146 countries.
Nigeria placed 144 less corrupt than two countries (1.36986301369863%)

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2005 ranks 159 countries.
Nigeria placed 154,less corrupt than 5 countries (3.1446540880503147%)

The Corruption Perceptions Index 2006 ranks 163 countries.
Nigeria placed 142,less corrupt than 21 countries (12.883435582822086%)

one of the main problem that you might notice from this thread is that many of us Nigerians do not even know that there is any change happening in our country or when we see one we don't accept that its genuine .
every country have crimes of various kind and believe me if u would do some little search on google with the words like scam,fraud,crime and the such alike you would come to know that Nigerians do not commit most of the crimes in the world,the difference here is that the crimes committed by Nigerians seems to get the bigger attention .
I am not trying to take the side of few Nigerians that bring bad name to the rest of us ,but i must say here that unless we believe that we have honest ones among us ,then our image problem may be too hard to solve.
in summary i must say that is rather shameful that a Nigerian would start this thread with such topic as this "would you go into business with a Nigerian ? " i would like to know when he uses the word Nigerian ,does he exclude himself ?
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by igbonla(m): 9:52pm On Feb 10, 2007
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Loads: 10:42pm On Feb 10, 2007
I can do business with Nigerian o. I have been in UK for a long time now and when I started looking for business opportunities in Nigeria I found out my friends and family were my best option. I have lost money through fraudulent business partners but that will not deter me from dealing with Nigerians afterall I am Nigerian as well. I have even lost money doing business with a fraudulent English man. They are everywhere and no nation should be sterotyped. Although I know Nigeria has a reputation around the would because of the image Yahoo boys and 419s as given us.

Don't forget each time you invest in shares on Nigerian Stock Exchange you are doing business with a Nigeria, all the company executives become your business partners. If you put money in the bank, the bank becomes your partner and its Nigerian.

After going though ups and downs picking partners now I can say I have a good number of trusted partners which I don't need to supervise in anyway shape or form. There are a lot of trusted people out there you just have to be careful and manage your money well. shocked Oh my days there are lots and lots of fraudstars in UK all you need to do is look at their adverts in the papers, always looking for ways to steal from people but the fact is experience is the best teacher. I don't think there is any successful business man that can escape been dupe at least once.

We need to help ourselves so we can change this negative image of our country. The government is not going to do it because the people is the government. We need to start within ourselves.
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by egoldman(m): 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2007
supported grin grin
Re: Would You Go Into Business With A Nigerian? by Femtex(m): 1:28pm On Jun 27, 2007
I agree with you Load. If we can not take positon, believe, trust and invest in our own people, nation; who and where do we invest. We have to build our nation ourself by investing in our people, trusting each other. Then we wonder why our country is not moving up like is suppose to. We just have to know whom to deal with, and how to deal with them. I don't have any problem dealing with Nigerians at all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fast Food Outlets Having Red And Orange As Their Logo And Interior Colors / Download The Step By Step CPA Marketing Course.free / Biz Opportunity:suppliers Needed For These Kiosks(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.