Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,888 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

A Phone Cannot Emit Radiation That Would Cook/boil An Egg, It's A Lie - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / A Phone Cannot Emit Radiation That Would Cook/boil An Egg, It's A Lie (463 Views)

How To Check Radiation Level In Mobile Phone ? / Your Phone Cannot Cause An Explosion At A Gas Station / 8 Guaranteed Tips To Minimise Radiation When You Use Your Mobile Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Phone Cannot Emit Radiation That Would Cook/boil An Egg, It's A Lie by Revamped(m): 11:46pm On Oct 25, 2016
This is not a counter thread to diss the other guy that posted something similar yesterday, stating that phones radiation is capable of cooking eggs. this article is meant to educate us better, so that we wouldn't just jump to conclusions when we hear some rumors.

MEANWHILE: i'll try to find his thread link and include it here later

No, it's not possible to cook an egg with two cell phones. At least, not by using the method outlined on wymsey.co.uk. The instructions basically boil down to this: place an egg between two phones, use one phone to call the other, and then wait for radio signals to cook the egg. Wymsey notes that cooking time:

very much depends on the power output of your mobile phone. For instance, a pair of mobiles each with 2 Watts of transmitter output will take three minutes to boil a large free range egg. Check your user manual and remember that cooking time will be proportional to the inverse square of the output power for a given distance from egg to phone.

As I said, this method definitely won't work (though I wouldn't rule out there being some kind of MacGyver way to cook an egg involving highly polished cellphones and reflected sunlight). What should be noted, however, is that Wymsey never intended anyone to believe it would work. The instructions are a joke. A lot of sites (including, surprisingly, Boing Boing) don't seem to have realized this. (Isn't the name Wymsey a giveaway?) The Wymsey site (which chronicles the goings-on in the fictional village of Wymsey) was created by Charlie Ivermee back in 1998, and he wrote the egg article in 2000. In an interview with Gelf Magazine he explains why he wrote the article:

“It was 6 years ago but I seem to recall that there was a lot of concern about people's brains getting fried and being from a radio/electronics background I found it all rather silly. So I thought I'd add to the silliness.”

SOURCE: http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/how_to_cook_an_egg_with_two_cell_phones

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Please How Do I Get Back My Old Firefox Browser After Updating / Ukrainian Man Renames Himself 'iphone 7' To Win One Of Apple's New Handsets / Brand New Blackberry Passport Silver Edition For Sale @#138,000(negotiable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.