Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,512 members, 7,850,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:40 AM

How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm (2390 Views)

12 Cattle Die In Kogi While Grazing / Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Caught Python Alive In My Farm In Nembe, Bayelsa State (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 27, 2016
I own a 150 hectare rice farm. Last month, cattle herdsmen bring in their cattle to graze on the crops, i have warned them severally but they keep coming. Yesterday was the 4th time. I'm thinking of getting 7 security guards and arming them with shotguns to shot any cow that enters d farm, is this legal.? or are there any traps i can use for them. pls, can u pple suggest ways which i can stop this

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by Dotman1001(m): 3:39pm On Oct 27, 2016
This is becoming ridiculous. The government need to intervene now if part of the country's income diversification plan includes farming. I have experienced the same on my farmland.
My advice is to involve the local authority/politicians and make it public as much as possible
Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by jethro2: 4:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
ultron1234:
I own a 150 hectare rice farm. Last month, cattle herdsmen bring in their cattle to graze on the crops, i have warned them severally but they keep coming. Yesterday was the 4th time. I'm thinking of getting 7 security guards and arming them with shotguns to shot any cow that enters d farm, is this legal.? or are there any traps i can use for them. pls, can u pple suggest ways which i can stop this

Dialogue with them.
Trace their abode and report to their boss.
The guys entering your farm are not the owner of the cows.
Shooting the cows will lead to more fracas.

And better still
Get cow dungs and apply to your crops.
Cows don't eat their own shit.
The advantage...
1. You will be fertilising your rice
2. Cows will not be able to eat

Note. please make more enquiries on the application so your crops don't get burn.

I know it can be applied the way you apply fertilizer

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by Lagusta(m): 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2016

Dialogue with them.
Trace their abode and report to their boss.
The guys entering your farm are not the owner of the cows.
Shooting the cows will lead to more fracas.

That's correct

Don't make that mistake of shooting even a calf, or that would be the final end of your crops, and (God forbid) your life.....

Instead go and meet their settlement head, talk to him about it, he would surely tell them not to go there anymore...

However, Fulanis are very stubborn, so you have to follow the point below

And better still
Get cow dungs and apply to your crops.
Cows don't eat their own shit.
The advantage...
1. You will be fertilising your rice
2. Cows will not be able to eat

That's also correct. Cows don't eat their dung. it's not even by force to smear the stuff on the leaves and stem.. just leave it at a very close proximity to each crop...

Note. please make more enquiries on the application so your crops don't get burn.

I know it can be applied the way you apply fertilizer

Sorry about the whole fracas tho....

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by klasys(m): 4:41pm On Oct 27, 2016
ultron1234:

Let us install electric fence for you, just as we have been doing to others to protect their farmland or poultry against any threat.

Check my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by Willie2015: 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dotman1001:
This is becoming ridiculous. The government need to intervene now if part of the country's income diversification plan includes farming. I have experienced the same on my farmland.
My advice is to involve the local authority/politicians and make it public as much as possible

Farmers need to start erecting fences as soon as farmland is purchased, using barb wire fencing is considered the cheapest and will go a long way to stop cows from destroying your crops.

You may also need to get workers to live on your farm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Stop Cattle Grazing In My Farm by stoladcom: 1:04pm On Nov 08, 2016
There is a traditional method I want to teach you which people have practiced and confirmed to be a success. Look for wide bowls (preferably calabash) fill with coloured water and position them at the edges of the farmland where they can be seen easily by the cattle rearer. Their thinking is that the bowls contain poison in which case they will never allow their cattle to come near.

Wishing you the best.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Basket Of Tomato Is 150naira In This Village / Teak Plantation / Raising 153 Day Old Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.