Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Pedestrianization: A Desirable Safety Facility For Pedestrians - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pedestrianization: A Desirable Safety Facility For Pedestrians (441 Views)

Share The Road: Tips For Drivers, Cyclists, And Pedestrians / Motorsport Raceway - Nigeria's 1st Purpose Built Motor Race Track Facility. / Ford Self-driving Test Van 'talks' To Pedestrians Via Light Signals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pedestrianization: A Desirable Safety Facility For Pedestrians by Peterowinje: 8:23am On Oct 28, 2016
Not too long ago, in the month of August, 2015, a student of one of the higher institutions in Ibadan city, Oyo state, Nigeria, was knocked down by a vehicle on his way to campus. I learned that this was not the first incident in the area. One of the students of the school told me that the victim was the only son and the only child of the family. What a pity!

However, when I visited the area of the incident, I discovered that the campus is located beside an expressway (a busy road) that links two states together in the country and I also, discovered that the road lacks the necessary desirable safety facilities for pedestrians. For more understanding, the following are the conditions of the said road:

No any pedestrian footpaths for the students,
No traffic island or median divider between opposite direction traffic in order to reduce the head collision between vehicle and pedestrian and also between two vehicles in the area,
No any traffic sign or signal for motorists or road users, and
No single bond in the front of the campus to limit or reduce the speed of those drivers who think speed limit is just a mere suggestion.
No zebra-crossing for the students, therefore, most students end up crossing the road at will.

However, it is important to note that, the risk of pedestrians is high when they share the same road with vehicles traveling at a fast speeds. This explains why the student was knocked down by a vehicle. Since the road lacks necessary safety facilities for pedestrians, I wonder if such ugly incident will not repeat itself again. Please you can read the complete article here, thanks. http://globaltransportandlogistics.com/pedestrianization-a-desirable-safety-facility-for-pedestrians-by-owinje-peter/
Re: Pedestrianization: A Desirable Safety Facility For Pedestrians by Originalsly: 11:27am On Oct 28, 2016
The students need to mobilize for their own safety.... have a sit down with the authorities and find a solution.... not sit and wait for somebody else to do something. Maybe a traffic island... but that would now be a safety hazard to the motorists if warning signs are not put in place and maintained.

(1) (Reply)

Various Uses Of A Car GPS Tracker / I Need Advice On Car Purchase / FL Highway Patrol Officer Was Seriously Injured In A Chain-reaction Colission.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.