Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,585 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language (1874 Views)

You Wouldn't Believe How Much He Claim He'd Earned. See My Reply To This Scammer / 8 Nigerian Pidgin Words That You Probably Did Not Know Are Proper English Words / 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were Borrowed From Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Adekanyeope: 10:02am On Oct 28, 2016
25 English Words That You wouldn't believe Were Borrowed From Igbo Language

Igbo kwenu! I always feel like crying whenever I see teachers or parents flog their children because they were speaking Igbo language. They want their children to speak English not knowing that the English they want their children to speak was borrowed from Igbo.

Do you know that there are more than a thousand words in English, French, Latin, Hebrew and other languages that were borrowed from Igbo Language. Did I just hear you say ”na lie” ? Ok. Because of space, let me only give you 25 English words stolen from Igbo language.

1. Cherubim – Borrowed from Igbo phrase ‘’chere ubim’’ which means ‘’guard my home’’

2. Book – Borrowed from Igbo phrase “bu uka’’ meaning ‘’carries the facts’’

3. Water – Stolen from Igbo word ‘’wuta’’ which means ‘’pour’’

4. Nurse – Coined from the phrase ‘’noro nso’’ meaning ‘’stay near’’

5. Animal – Coined from the Igbo phrase ‘’anu malu’’ which when translated means ‘’meat that knows’’ or ‘’flesh aware of life’’ or ‘’meat is conscious’’

6. Bank – Got from the phrase ‘’uba na aka’’ meaning ‘’wealth at hand’’

7. Harlot – Coined from ‘’ha laa otu’’ meaning ‘’they had sex’’

8. Say – stolen from Igbo word ‘’Si’’ which means say

9. Answer – got from ‘’nsa’’ which means ‘’response’’

10. Carpenter – coined from the phrase ‘’ka apita’’ which means ‘’carve out’’

11. News – got from ‘’nu zuo’’ which means ‘’hear it all’’

12. Soccer – coined from ‘’oso ka’’ which means ‘’running is greater’’ or “there is more running done’’ or ‘’greater at running’

See 13 - 25 FROM THE SOURCE: http://www.2000viewsng.com/2016/10/25-english-words-that-you-were-borrowed.html

Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by INTROVERT(f): 10:03am On Oct 28, 2016
For real
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by yeyeboi(m): 10:04am On Oct 28, 2016
Ok
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by talktonase(m): 10:09am On Oct 28, 2016
Na waoh! Igbo peeps will coin anything just to form relevance! Their is a linguistic lineage to many languages on earth but this is falsity propounded by one palm wine drinking fellow...

1 Like

Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Usjimy(m): 10:17am On Oct 28, 2016
@OP, it's obvious you're trying hard to out do Mr. LAI in this field. Only that yours is not yet aired on NTA and hasn't hit the front pages of national papers.
Keep trying...
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by deeplow: 10:38am On Oct 28, 2016
This is probably the most stupid thŕead I have read on nairaland. I have read threads by Mr Olodo, Andyblaze, born2fuck.e.t.c. Somehow, this thread still beats all of theirs in stupidity.
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Talasuma(m): 10:47am On Oct 28, 2016
Dude, u gat no point, this piece of shit doesn't corelate at all.
Can Google back up your claim?
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Talasuma(m): 10:49am On Oct 28, 2016
deeplow:
This is probably the most stupid thŕead I have read on nairaland. I have read threads by Mr Olodo, Andyblaze, born2fuck.e.t.c. Somehow, this thread still beats all of theirs in stupidity.
grin grin grin bro I dea tell u
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by osesology(m): 10:52am On Oct 28, 2016
This op must've smoked that sh!t R.Kelly smoked that made him to believe that he could fly!

2 Likes

Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Adekanyeope: 11:22am On Oct 28, 2016
deeplow:
How do you mean stupid, No language is self contained, they borrow words they don't have to complement the ones they have.
Even some youruba words were coine3d from Hausa, Arabic etc
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by deeplow: 1:02pm On Oct 28, 2016
Adekanyeope:

How do you mean stupid, No language is self contained, they borrow words they don't have to complement the ones they have.
Even some youruba words were coine3d from Hausa, Arabic etc

Book is a word as old as the English language itself. When did the English travel to Africa for the word to have its root here? Most of the words here are as old as the language itself. Are you saying they had another word for water before they encountered the igbo.

The one I find most ridiculous is Soccer. Didn't you take time to think about this thing before you believed and posted it?

1 Like

Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by Homefinders(f): 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: 25 English Words That You Wouldn't Believe Were COINED From Igbo Language by general111(m): 8:47pm On Oct 28, 2016
Lol.

(1) (Reply)

True Life Story Of An Addict / Donald Trump Sings Look What You Made Me Do By Taylor Swift / See Reply A White Man Got Celebrating His Nigeria Visa On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.