Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? (1641 Views)

The Radfords: UK's Largest Family Welcomes Baby No 22 Amidst Coronavirus Crisis / Are You Married And Facing Challenges? Would You Like To Share To Help Others? / Are You Facing Manhood Challenges in Your Marriage? See Solution here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by ify2016: 6:19am On Oct 29, 2016
I am from SE where identity is very important in maintaining a family lineage. The problem I have is that " when we 're growing, we the first three sons were using our grandpa's name for surname instead of our general family surname. Then, we started our primary school with the same grandpa's name as surname;but when I was not around, my two brothers changed theirs to our general surname instead of the one we used in primary school.
Even, my monogamous parents once told us that we can bear any surname provided is acceptable, though, they still use general surname. Now, am through with my high institution , still bearing my grandpa's name as surname. The problem is that anytime we go out together and were told to give our identity, mine will always sound difference. Even, the other time, I was on a trip to see Dad, and was delayed so much because my surname with the one Dad used weren't the same.
I am so embarrassed for this challenge and need your advice in order to pass through this stress. The thing is so serious that I can't use my brother's or sister's name as next of kin for fear of embarrassment, talk more of inviting them to the state in the future.

Please House, what should I do? I'm confused.
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Generalkorex(m): 6:22am On Oct 29, 2016
Lala come o

1 Like

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by GogetterMD(m): 6:26am On Oct 29, 2016
RIP English! cry
Rule 21 angry
File for a name change by approaching the appropriate authorities. Swear an affidavit at a court of competent jurisdiction, and make a newspaper ad announcing the name change. You can start from there
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by sisisioge: 6:31am On Oct 29, 2016
Change your name to the general surname if it bothers you so much. A sworn affidavit and newspaper publication is all you need...I think.

3 Likes

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by McCarlito(m): 6:35am On Oct 29, 2016
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3491601_1646178askingifajpeg9b44b62a6f5291a1cab9c9ee3b0a366d_jpeg895fa476beefe48dafdb9ee88b0ae820
GogetterMD:
RIP English! cry
Rule 21 angry
File for a name change by approaching the appropriate authorities. Swear an affidavit at a court of competent jurisdiction, and make a newspaper ad announcing the name change. You can start from there
And the Mouthpiece of the gods have spoken...
Op take this advise
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Godfullsam(m): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2016
What happen to 'change of name'?

My guy, go to the nearest newspaper office close to you and tell them you want to apply for a change of name. They will tell you the requirements. You will need passport, a sworn affidavit obtained from court and a token amount of money..

Better still, you can go and hustle and make alot of money. Once you become a billionaire, your sisblings will be the one to change their surname to the one you are bearing.

5 Likes

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by ify2016: 6:48am On Oct 29, 2016
McCarlito:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3491601_1646178askingifajpeg9b44b62a6f5291a1cab9c9ee3b0a366d_jpeg895fa476beefe48dafdb9ee88b0ae820

And the Mouthpiece of the gods have spoken...
Op take this advise
I reject that picture or suggestion in Jesus name.

What sort of devilish opinion is that?. Please, count me out of that image
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by McCarlito(m): 6:55am On Oct 29, 2016
ify2016:

And I bet u will take that advise cos that's the only way
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3520266_1688189102598817675218466150936933286407863313107njpegd09a548912cfca7c7b5ac445002b1c3f_jpeg_jpeg953a247242e6f2c4f836fd8ca7b1675d
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Dyt(f): 7:08am On Oct 29, 2016
ify2016:

undecided undecided undecided
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by boldx(m): 7:10am On Oct 29, 2016
I am certain you are not in Nigeria, talk to a friend in Nigeria to help you with a court affidavit. You will definitely need a new international passport. Do a change of name and add your family name to your grandfather's name. Assuming 'Ikenga' is your grandfather's name and Ifechukwu is your own name, while Okeke is your family name, now do a change of name to bear Ifechukwu Ikenga Okeke.

1 Like

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 29, 2016
Too much traditional orientation sef is wahala.

You ought to have changed it before going to d states. However its not too late, I don't knw how its done in d US but in Nigeria u can go for a change of name in a court of law(high or magistrate or supreme). You would be given an evident sworn affidavit after which you would publicize it on a renowned newspaper

Both the affidavit and newspaper are now your documents forever. It would read that all former documents bearing the old name remain valid

1 Like

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by FreshBoss007: 7:41am On Oct 29, 2016
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by whirlwind7(m): 7:46am On Oct 29, 2016
ify2016:

There goes someone with such a narrow mind. As if the picture has any influence on your life.
Little wonder you find yourself in a quandary with a non issue such as changing of name.
That's a sound advice up there. Either act on it, or keep rejecting your shambolic superstitious belief in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 29, 2016
ify2016:
I am from SE where identity is very important in maintaining a family lineage. The problem I have is that " when we 're growing, we the first three sons were using our grandpa's name for surname instead of our general family surname. Then, we started our primary school with the same grandpa's name as surname;but when I was not around, my two brothers changed theirs to our general surname instead of the one we used in primary school.
Even, my monogamous parents once told us that we can bear any surname provided is acceptable, though, they still use general surname. Now, am through with my high institution , still bearing my grandpa's name as surname. The problem is that anytime we go out together and were told to give our identity, mine will always sound difference. Even, the other time, I was on a trip to see Dad, and was delayed so much because my surname with the one Dad used weren't the same.
I am so embarrassed for this challenge and need your advice in order to pass through this stress. The thing is so serious that I can't use my brother's or sister's name as next of kin for fear of embarrassment, talk more of inviting them to the state in the future.

Please House, what should I do? I'm confused.

This is not enough for an identity crisis.

The exact same thing is happening in my family. I could meet my cousins and wouldn't know we are related cos we use various surnames.

I use my grandpa's name as my surname which is not even his surname, but a name he is well known for in our home town.

my youngest siblings use my dad's middle name as their surname, ( cos it sounds cool and modern) and my dad allows it.

now my dad uses four names. his first name, middle name, and hyphenate two surnames.

If you're so bothered about it, go for the official change of name at the court and publish as well.

2 Likes

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by tpapi: 8:31am On Oct 29, 2016
Joavid:

This is not enough for an identity crisis.

The exact same thing is happening in my family. I could meet my cousins and wouldn't know we are related cos we use various surnames.

I use my grandpa's name as my surname which is not even his surname, but a name he is well known for in our home town.

my youngest siblings use my dad's middle name as their surname, ( cos it sounds cool and modern) and my dad allows it.

now my dad uses four names. his first name, middle name, and hyphenate two surnames.

If you're so bothered about it, go for the official change of name at the court and publish as well.
hi ow r u doin, wanted to ask if u cud do me a favour
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 29, 2016
tpapi:

mmkay
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by tpapi: 9:14am On Oct 29, 2016
Joavid:

mmkay
can we talk thru email
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 29, 2016
tpapi:
can we talk thru email
let's start here.
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by crackhaus: 2:00pm On Oct 29, 2016
ify2016:

Even, my monogamous parents once told us that we can bear any surname provided is acceptable, though, they still use general surname.
This right here is the exact reason for your situation and I'm sure you will also tell your kids the same thing... then in maybe 30years from now, one of yours will be undergoing the same crisis.

I'm particularly respectful of history, and I would like my lineage down to the 10th generation to be able to trace their ancestry straight up to my grandfather without hassles and unnecessary detours.
I honestly don't know why people cause confusion for themselves by themselves all in a bid to appear trendy and contemporary.

Just imagine nuclea family members bearing different surnames, LOL...
I honestly didn't blame the immigration officer who denied my little cousin his settlement visa on the first application because his daddy thought a British sounding surname is way cooler and then changed his, while the innocent kid still had the old one on his birth certificate. cheesy

The easiest most logical piece of advice has been given already above.
Mine is: Don't go telling your children or wife to bear whatever surname they want.

1 Like

Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by Richy4(m): 2:56pm On Oct 29, 2016
I don't even see anything strange in this.... The best question you should ask yourself is WHO AM I?

When you identify who you are then what was on paper does not matter...The most Important thing is that your dad knows you as his son...what ever you decide to answer is your own cup of tea and no one else..

Me for example is still bearing my grandfather's name as surname... My elder brother was answering my dad's name as surname...Does that mean we were not brothers?
there are lots of thing you should be thinking about but if this is the biggest problem u got, I will say Jezzzzz!!!! u are a lucky man...
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by nlPoster: 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2020
tpapi:

Not tpia/tpiar/tpiander/nlposter/etc
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by bukatyne(f): 9:11pm On Feb 05, 2020
crackhaus:

This right here is the exact reason for your situation and I'm sure you will also tell your kids the same thing... then in maybe 30years from now, one of yours will be undergoing the same crisis.

I'm particularly respectful of history, and I would like my lineage down to the 10th generation to be able to trace their ancestry straight up to my grandfather without hassles and unnecessary detours.
I honestly don't know why people cause confusion for themselves by themselves all in a bid to appear trendy and contemporary.

Just imagine nuclea family members bearing different surnames, LOL...
I honestly didn't blame the immigration officer who denied my little cousin his settlement visa on the first application because his daddy thought a British sounding surname is way cooler and then changed his, while the innocent kid still had the old one on his birth certificate. cheesy

The easiest most logical piece of advice has been given already above.
Mine is: Don't go telling your children or wife to bear whatever surname they want.

I once had a discussion on this.

I don't even like the modern idea of hypenating the husband's first name and surname.

Soon, everyone is lost.

Unlike previously, when you mention a surname, you could almost trace their ancestry.
Re: HE IS FACING IDENTITY CRISIS: WHAT CAN HE DO? by bukatyne(f): 9:12pm On Feb 05, 2020
nlPoster:

Not tpia/tpiar/tpiander/nlposter/etc

(1) (Reply)

Thanks / Wife Is Not Your Blood Relative / 25 Unbelievable Gender Reassignments: Transformations From Male To Female(images

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.