Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? (3544 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Onitsha Ancient Bridge Collapses / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by feelgood(m): 8:54am On Oct 28, 2009
Their ancestry is traced to the Binis and their 'Igbo' dialect is remarkably different from the heavily accented mainstream. Also the Delta/Osha axis still tenaciously hold on to their ancestral roots. Why then do the Igbos want to 'by force' them into their fold eg making them to head Ohaneze - will it work? When the chips are down, everyone go answer im papa name. What's your take?
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by asha80(m): 10:20am On Oct 28, 2009
feelgood:

Their ancestry is traced to the Binis and their 'Igbo' dialect is remarkably different from the heavily accented mainstream. Also the Delta/Osha axis still tenaciously hold on to their ancestral roots. Why then do the Igbos want to 'by force' them into their fold eg making them to head Ohaneze - will it work? When the chips are down, everyone go answer im papa name. What's your take?

And you think their papa name na bini?go and tell and bini person that you bare bini and watch his reaction.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:50am On Oct 28, 2009
This topic has been overdiscussed. . . Anyway, Feelgood, you'd be surprised, going by the logic of your post, how many groups that you consider Igbo are not "real Igbo". Now, here's my question for you. What makes a group "Igbo"? Please sir, kindly define "Igbo" for us, so that we may be able to differentiate between "fake" and "real" Igbo. Thank you.

asha 80:

[b]And you think their papa name na bini?[/b]go and tell and bini person that you bare bini and watch his reaction.
Exactly.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by feelgood(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2009
Chinenye, I would appreciate links to earlier discussions pls. Cheers
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by AndreUweh(m): 3:00pm On Oct 28, 2009
This indeed is a very STUPENDOUS post.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ezeagu(m): 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2009
I'm sorry, but they are descendants of Eri, 'The Igbo progenitor' (although probably not the only one) most of them have Igbo surnames, and if not, their first name is Igbo and their towns name is also Igbo.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2009
feelgood:

eri is the progenitor of umunri and not the entire igboland.most of his descendants are the people found in todays anambra north and east in an area known as isuama.they are the people other igbos referred to as igbos.awka is quite different in origin too.much of imo,abia and ebonyi state dont buy the idea of nri origin.west of orlu town is inhabited by orsu,njaba,oru and oguta.they all dont believe to be the same with the igbos to their right known as isu or the ones to their north known as isuama.abiriba,nkporo,ohafia,item,alayi,arochukwu and edda also share a mutually intelligible dialect which other igbos cannot really understand.ngwa,ndoki,asa,etche and ikwerre also share similarities in dialect which other igbos might not hear too.going up north nsukka,nkanu,izzi,ezza,mgbo,ehugbo also are unique in every way.all these people could be classified as different tribes because both their culture and language differ.onitsha and some parts of delta state speak the same version of igbo as isuama people but seem to have some influence from benin.onitsha in particular was actually founded by either an igbo that lived briefly in benin or a benin man that already lost his language before getting there.coming down to rivers state.the ogba,ndoni,ukwuani,aboh and egbema people had some benin influence through the onitsha immigrants of ezechima but dont speak the isuama dialect like the onitsha and delta.ekpeye is actually the tribe that mixed with igbos to found ogba.ekpeye is closely related to igbo but cannot be said to be igbo.however on a broader view igbos and ekpeyes have everything in common.they are truely brothers.

in language classification,ekpeye is the only different language in igboid while others are igbo.

i have bulk of references or anybody from the areas i mentioned could testify.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On Oct 29, 2009
Abagworo:

eri is the progenitor of umunri and not the entire igboland.most of his descendants are the people found in todays anambra north and east in an area known as isuama.they are the people other igbos referred to as igbos.awka is quite different in origin too.much of imo,abia and ebonyi state dont buy the idea of nri origin.
I was just about to come post something along these lines.

Abagworo:

west of orlu town is inhabited by orsu,njaba,oru and oguta.they all dont believe to be the same with the igbos to their right known as isu or the ones to their north known as isuama.abiriba,nkporo,ohafia,item,alayi,arochukwu and edda also share a mutually intelligible dialect which other igbos cannot really understand.ngwa,ndoki,asa,etche and ikwerre also share similarities in dialect which other igbos might not hear too.going up north nsukka,nkanu,izzi,ezza,mgbo,ehugbo also are unique in every way.all these people could be classified as different tribes because both their culture and language differ.onitsha and some parts of delta state speak the same version of igbo as isuama people but seem to have some influence from benin.onitsha in particular was actually founded by either an igbo that lived briefly in benin or a benin man that already lost his language before getting there.coming down to rivers state.the ogba,ndoni,ukwuani,aboh and egbema people had some benin influence through the onitsha immigrants of ezechima   but dont speak the isuama dialect like the onitsha and delta.ekpeye is actually the tribe that mixed with igbos to found ogba.ekpeye is closely related to igbo but cannot be said to be igbo.however on a broader view igbos and ekpeyes have everything in common.they are truely brothers.

in language classification,ekpeye is the only different language in igboid while others are igbo.

This makes much more sense to me than some of the things I've read online, and I can testify to some of it.

Feelgood - The links

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-274104.0.html

Igbo's Be United {from Ikwere To Kwale} There Is Nothing Like Fake Igbo
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-16220.0.html

Ika People{Igbanke}
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-58455.0.html

The Aniomas Are Not Igbos But A Mix Between The Binis, The Yorubas And The Igbos
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-271684.0.html (I'm not sure why this link doesn't work. Maybe you could ask one of the moderators. )

Also, if you search Google, I'm sure you'll be able to come across sites that have articles and debates about this topic.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ezeagu(m): 8:38pm On Oct 29, 2009
Abagworo:

eri is the progenitor of umunri and not the entire igboland.most of his descendants are the people found in todays anambra north and east in an area known as isuama.they are the people other igbos referred to as igbos.awka is quite different in origin too.much of imo,abia and ebonyi state dont buy the idea of nri origin.west of orlu town is inhabited by orsu,njaba,oru and oguta.they all dont believe to be the same with the igbos to their right known as isu or the ones to their north known as isuama.abiriba,nkporo,ohafia,item,alayi,arochukwu and edda also share a mutually intelligible dialect which other igbos cannot really understand.ngwa,ndoki,asa,etche and ikwerre also share similarities in dialect which other igbos might not hear too.going up north nsukka,nkanu,izzi,ezza,mgbo,ehugbo also are unique in every way.all these people could be classified as different tribes because both their culture and language differ.onitsha and some parts of delta state speak the same version of igbo as isuama people but seem to have some influence from benin.onitsha in particular was actually founded by either an igbo that lived briefly in benin or a benin man that already lost his language before getting there.coming down to rivers state.the ogba,ndoni,ukwuani,aboh and egbema people had some benin influence through the onitsha immigrants of ezechima   but dont speak the isuama dialect like the onitsha and delta.ekpeye is actually the tribe that mixed with igbos to found ogba.ekpeye is closely related to igbo but cannot be said to be igbo.however on a broader view igbos and ekpeyes have everything in common.they are truely brothers.

The delta Igbo, e.g Igbo[/b]uzor (Igbo bi na uzor), Akwukwu [b]Igbo, are descendant's of Eri. That's what I was talking about.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by AndreUweh(m): 8:51pm On Oct 29, 2009
This poster and his likes are the ones bringing separation in Igboland.
To the poster, there is no real Igbo or fake Igbo.
Nobody is more Igbo than his or her neighbour.
There is nothing like Ibos. It is Igbo people or Ndigbo or the Igbo.
From Obollo- afor in the north to Diobu in the South
From Igbanke in the west to Arochukwu in the east.
Any one from this square is an Igbo.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ifyalways(f): 8:02pm On Nov 03, 2009
This thread is very funny cheesy cheesy
Which ones be real igbo and fake igbo?
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by ezeagu(m): 8:14pm On Nov 03, 2009
ifyalways:

This thread is very funny cheesy cheesy
Which ones be real igbo and fake igbo?

The fake Igbo arise whenever an Igbo group is eyed for domination from another ethnic group. . . . .
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 6:22pm On Jul 14, 2012
Abagworo:

eri is the progenitor of umunri and not the entire igboland.most of his descendants are the people found in todays anambra north and east in an area known as isuama.they are the people other igbos referred to as igbos.awka is quite different in origin too.much of imo,abia and ebonyi state dont buy the idea of nri origin.west of orlu town is inhabited by orsu,njaba,oru and oguta.they all dont believe to be the same with the igbos to their right known as isu or the ones to their north known as isuama.abiriba,nkporo,ohafia,item,alayi,arochukwu and edda also share a mutually intelligible dialect which other igbos cannot really understand.ngwa,ndoki,asa,etche and ikwerre also share similarities in dialect which other igbos might not hear too.going up north nsukka,nkanu,izzi,ezza,mgbo,ehugbo also are unique in every way.all these people could be classified as different tribes because both their culture and language differ.onitsha and some parts of delta state speak the same version of igbo as isuama people but seem to have some influence from benin.onitsha in particular was actually founded by either an igbo that lived briefly in benin or a benin man that already lost his language before getting there.coming down to rivers state.the ogba,ndoni,ukwuani,aboh and egbema people had some benin influence through the onitsha immigrants of ezechima but dont speak the isuama dialect like the onitsha and delta.ekpeye is actually the tribe that mixed with igbos to found ogba.ekpeye is closely related to igbo but cannot be said to be igbo.however on a broader view igbos and ekpeyes have everything in common.they are truely brothers.

awka is a combination of different igbo groups originally from eri but went on their ways at different times. There is a village in awka called umueri,so curtail ur lies
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:37pm On Jul 14, 2012
Abagworo:

You know what you are very ignorant of Nri,its culture and decendants!
Firstly,Onicha dialect is not in anyway similar to that of Isu. Onicha has the "Ogwugwu" deity which Originated from the Nri. Asaba,Okpanam,Igbuzor,Ogwachi(Ogwa Nri) and all the Igbo communities that stretch all the way to Igbanke has Nri settlers and her connection. Ofalla(Igu Aro) are being celebrated by all this communities and so is Onicha. There are Nri communities in Anambra,Enugu,Delta and Benue state. ONICHA DOES NOT SPEAK ISU DIALECT AND THEY HAVE NOTHING THAT RELATES THEM TO ISU,WHATSOEVER! ONICHA SPEAK AN NRI DIALECT ALMOST IDENTICAL TO WHAT THE IDENMILIS SPEAK YOU REVISIONIST.
You need to stop this your Isu promotion because thete is nothing to promote. Have you ever heard an Onicha and an Idenmili man converse before? Say what you know you lieing blockhead!

I want to inform everybody here that what this man Abagworo wrote here about the Anambra and Delta Igbos is full of lies and revision....Look elsewhere for your lost Isu dialect,culture and communities....You are getting on my fhucking nerves and I am trying so hard to be civil here. Desist you lost insecure fool...LIAR!
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: awka is a combination of different igbo groups originally from eri but went on their ways at different times. There is a village in awka called umueri,so curtail ur lies

Is Awka the only thing you see there; Stay awake and pay attention....This man is on a mission to feed lies to the uninformed and revise the beautiful history of Nri,its sacred culture and her peoples. Nobody needs a seer to know that Onicha and 90% of Delta Igbos are Nri decendants.. He thinks he is clever but I will make it my duty to keep watch on him..Fhucking revisionist! I dont even want to discuss Awka history with him because he is soo ignorant of what he is trying to revise...This man dont know that Awka has one of the most impeccable Nri culture yet he says Awka is not Nri! His Isu ancestors sold their culture and identity into SLAVERY and what you have today is a cultureless ppl and now out of jealousy he is working to pull down the Nri culture and bring division amongst her people. Today is the first time I am hearing Onicha and Deltan Igbos are Isu! Chai,wonders shall never end...And watch out for him too...You will never see him say anything good about Umu Omanbala(Anambrarians). He is jealous and hateful of us.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Is Awka the only thing you see there; Stay awake and pay attention....This man is on a mission to feed lies to the uninformed and revise the beautiful history of Nri,its sacred culture and her peoples. Nobody needs a seer to know that Onicha and 90% of Delta Igbos are Nri decendants.. He thinks he is clever but I will make it my duty to keep watch on him..Fhucking revisionist! I dont even want to discuss Awka history with him because he is soo ignorant of what he is trying to revise...This man dont know that Awka has one of the most impeccable Nri culture yet he says Awka is not Nri! His Isu ancestors sold their culture and identity into SLAVERY and what you have today is a cultureless ppl and now out of jealousy he is working to pull down the Nri culture and bring division amongst her people. Today is the first time I am hearing Onicha and Deltan Igbos are Isu! Chai,wonders shall never end...And watch out for him too...You will never see him say anything good about Umu Omanbala(Anambrarians). He is jealous and hateful of us.
i have discovered it. They are 3 in number-chinenyeN,abagworo and odumchi. They are traitors and will readily divide the igbo tribe.they said that we are no longer tribe but settlement.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by wesley80(m): 8:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
Oh Lord, please have mercy. There's absolutely no way a topic like this can be discussed without conflict, we all have our interpretation of history that may not be universally accepted or even acceptable - lets never forget that. It behoves us as brothers(?) with a goal to unite rather than divide to choose our words carefully and not sound overbearing or domineering even in the most subtle way. I believe we've been here before and lessons should've been learnt - I know I have. Please I appeal, rid yourselves of the arrogance, we can discuss our various versions of history without sounding like enemies. I greet you all.

2 Likes

Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
wesley80: Oh Lord, please have mercy. There's absolutely no way a topic like this can be discussed without conflict, we all have our interpretation of history that may not be universally accepted or even acceptable - lets never forget that. It behoves us as brothers(?) with a goal to unite rather than divide to choose our words carefully and not sound overbearing or domineering even in the most subtle way. I believe we've been here before and lessons should've been learnt - I know I have. Please I appeal, rid yourselves of the arrogance, we can discuss our various versions of history without sounding like enemies. I greet you all.

Nwanne,daalu rinne. I am not arrogant but I get really upset when somebody is trying to change a history of ppl he knows little about. How dare Abagworo say Onicha speaks Isu dialect? You might as well say Idenmili speaks Isu dialect because Onicha and Idenmili speak very similar dialect with various words that are exclusive to Onicha and Idenmili towns. This is the same person that says Igbuzor has Isu origin origin and left out the Ogboli faction who are Nri and I doubt the fact of the Umejei faction being Isu because of the commonality of the name among Nri and its near absence in Imo state. Now,tell me this isnt a propagandist.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
Antivirus92: i have discovered it. They are 3 in number-chinenyeN,abagworo and odumchi. They are traitors and will readily divide the igbo tribe.they said that we are no longer tribe but settlement.

Nwanne, I have a feeling you dont know Odumchi very well. He is certainlly not a "traitor" ! For Chinenye,ike gwulu mu sef.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by YorubaOmoge: 11:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
These ppl have come with their real igbo fake igbo plastic igbo yam igbo again
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 11:36pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Nwanne,daalu rinne. I am not arrogant but I get really upset when somebody is trying to change a history of ppl he knows little about. How dare Abagworo say Onicha speaks Isu dialect? You might as well say Idenmili speaks Isu dialect because Onicha and Idenmili speak very similar dialect with various words that are exclusive to Onicha and Idenmili towns. This is the same person that says Igbuzor has Isu origin origin and left out the Ogboli faction who are Nri and I doubt the fact of the Umejei faction being Isu because of the commonality of the name among Nri and its near absence in Imo state. Now,tell me this isnt a propagandist.

Idenmili does not speak Isu.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:11am On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge: These ppl have come with their real igbo fake igbo plastic igbo yam igbo again

I have no doubt in my mind that you love Igbo men and me in particular! Lets stop the fight and give each other a hug. grin grin
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:14am On Jul 20, 2012
Abagworo:

Idenmili does not speak Isu.

Is there a recognized "Isu dialect" ? Idenmili speaks an Nri dialect and so is Onicha Ado. Look for Isu dialect in Imo state. Case closed.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 1:45am On Jul 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Is there a recognized "Isu dialect" ? Idenmili speaks an Nri dialect and so is Onicha Ado. Look for Isu dialect in Imo state. Case closed.

I think this thread is quite old and shouldn't crack your brain up. That was 3 years ago and I've learnt a lot between then and now. Isu is spoken both in Imo and Anambra with variations according to location. The Orsu version is spoken in the entire Ihiala. It stops near Oguta in Imo and because we call all of the people "Onyeigbo", I thought then you were all same. Apologies for that error. Welcome to 2012.
Re: Are Delta/onitsha Ibos Real Igbos? by wesley80(m): 7:16am On Jul 20, 2012
Abagworo:

I think this thread is quite old and shouldn't crack your brain up. That was 3 years ago and I've learnt a lot between then and now.
Lollllzzzzzzzz , I never even bothered to look at the dates!

(1) (Reply)

Are Brazilian People Black? / Formal Invitation To Kohlchan - German Imageboard / It Looks Like I Need To Go Back To Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.