Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,958 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Sierra Leone Fashion On The Map - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Sierra Leone Fashion On The Map (443 Views)

CNN: Naomi Campbell Is Putting African Fashion On Centre Stage / Shop Online For Your Luxury Children's Fashion On Escapadeng / Check In Here For The St Eve Fashion Week : Fashion On The Street Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sierra Leone Fashion On The Map by greentrends: 8:35am On Nov 02, 2016
AN AFRICAN fashion designer says she is determined to create ‘employment opportunities’ and bring about ‘economic growth’ for the continent through her own label.

Set to launch an exclusive boutique in East London this winter, Isatu Harrison, the founder of Izelia, told the Voice Online that she felt it was incumbent upon those who came from Africa to play a role in the economic development of the continent.

Having launched Izelia at Africa Fashion Week in August 2014 and London Fashion Week in the same year, Harrison has seen the stock of her brand rise steadily over the last 24 months.

Born in the Eastern town of Kono, Sierra Leone, Harrison was raised by her entrepreneurial single mother with her three siblings.

She hails her mother as her biggest inspiration and influence having watched her work hard to design outfits for herself and others using traditional West African tie-dyed prints.

Drawing from her Sierra Leonean heritage Harrison has created a modern and sophisticated range of ready to wear pieces, positioning themselves as a brand for those who want to make an impression in stylish and colourful outfits with high quality fabrics and structured tailoring.

Each piece features a new twist on African-inspired fashion and Harrison’s own signature style of design.

Harrison’s boutique in East London will also be organising training programmes and apprenticeships opportunities for immigrants and first generation citizens in fashion design.

She said: “I intend to inspire and assist women in rural Sierra Leone, be a voice for these women and young creatives.

“Whilst the brand is becoming well entrenched in the UK, as an African, I feel I have a role to play in the economic development of my continent. Through Izelia, I wish to invest long-term in Sierra Leone’s private sector and I am interested in developing manufacturing, as well as production factories and establishing additional outlets in Africa.

“I am proud to be among a growing crop of entrepreneurs who are creating employment opportunities and bringing economic growth to our countries across Africa.”Read more at:http://www.marieaustralia.com/formal-dresses-canberra | http://www.marieaustralia.com/plus-size-formal-dresses

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Nails Done With These Awesome Dealdey Deals / Interior Decorators In Victoria Island Lekki And Ajah / Photography Training Classes: 100% Practical Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.