Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,993 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics (17974 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by gorociano: 12:44am On Nov 04, 2016
2016 has been a good year for Nigerian pop singer Wizkid, with his latest conquest at the recently-held MTV African Music Award (MAMA) in South Africa – winning 3 awards including the Artist of the Year – cementing his place as the reigning king of African music scene.

He has been an undeniable force in 2016, exporting African sound to global audience especially with the chart-topping record-breaking collaboration with Canadian rapper Drake on One Dance. He’s on top of his game.

What can Starboy (Yes, Mr Weeknd, you are a cheap thief) do to take his game to the next level on his forthcoming album?

Stop writing lousy lyrics.

I love Wizkid’s music since the days of Pakurumo and Love My Baby – which I consider an evergreen – and he’s constantly dropped hits that I love so much, like On Top Your Matter.

However some of his other songs including Tease Me, Jaiye Jaiye and In My Bed would have been very great pop songs…except they are thematically incoherent.

Let’s examine some of the lyrics of the three examples:

Tease Me is a song of seduction and wooing of a girl which devolves into a praise-singing tune of himself and his friends.

In Jaiye Jaiye, we have a lovely Afrobeat (the real Afrobeat) tune accentuated with masterful saxophone by Femi Kuti with lyrics talking about his dreams, aspirations and thanking God for his triumphs…until it tries to infuse too much Fela – “If you call her woman, African woman no go gree”.

In My Bed has a good club tune unfortunately watered down when he started praise-singing politicians and moneybags.

These are just some examples of why many of Wizkid’s songs will be ridiculed in the next 20 years or so like we do to Remedies’ Shako mo nowadays.

What Starboy should do is stick to just one subject per song in his forthcoming album, and his musical legacy – what we’ll remember him for when the light is off and the noise of the crowd has died down – will be that of a singer who made evergreen music.

Like he did on Ojuelegba.

http://revue.ng/wizkid-stop-writing-lousy-lyrics/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by vikishizzu: 1:01am On Nov 04, 2016
From the bed to the bedroom

23 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by daveP(m): 2:35am On Nov 04, 2016
African Bieber is lost but still seeing relevance. a pity his Usher Raymond( banky W) caused most of this...

95% of artistes only freestyle with beats and they package it and call it hit and we feel they've sweated it out well to earn our response.

Well I don't celebrate mediocrity, I'll prefer a lyrical song that has a message than one that constantly talks of yansh, hole, boobs, how it went down in the room, how the bottles were popped, how the party was hot and cold, how they chilled. All these can't stand a decade.

They should learn from Tupac whose hits were made from a soul that expressed his thoughts from deep inside. smh.

Wonder where Lil Kesh came from sef. He talks, he doesn't sing sef.

As for wizkid or whatever he calls himself, he needs to track back, cos even till now, it's only his first hits I still feel are hits

Don't dull

Pakurumo

Love ma baby

Lasgidi

Jaiye

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 04, 2016
daveP:
African Bieber is lost but still seeing relevance. a pity his Usher Raymond( banky W) caused most of this...

95% of artiste only freestyle with beats and they package it and call it hit and we feel they've sweated it out well to earn our response.

Well I don't celebrate mediocrity, I'll prefer a lyrical song that has a message than one that constantly talks of yansh, hole, boons, how it went down in the room, how the bottles were popped, how the party was hot and cold, how they chilled. All these can't stand a decade.

They should learn from Tupac whose hits were made from a soul that expressed his thoughts from deep inside. smh.

wonder where Lil Kesh came from sef. He talks, he doesn't sing sef.

s for wizkid or whatever he calls himself, he needs to track back, cos even till now, it's only his first hits I still feel are hits

Don't dull

Pakurumo

Love ma baby

Lasgidi

Jaiye
thats why I love the likes of M I Abaga , Kendrick Lamar and some how Eminem..

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by jejemanito: 6:29am On Nov 04, 2016
vikishizzu:

19 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 04, 2016
vikishizzu:

14 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by daveP(m): 11:51pm On Nov 04, 2016
krattoss:
thats why I love the likes of M I Abaga , Kendrick Lamar and some how Eminem..
These guys work hard to enable their lyrically content get a tough skin. Let it make sense till fans listening find it hard to forget those punchlines etc.

Eminem's lyrics are deep.

M.i I respect him. knows how to keep business as business, unlike his wiskolo wiska bro jagz

28 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2016
daveP:

95% of artiste only freestyle with beats and they package it and call it hit and we feel they've sweated it out well to earn our response.

Well I don't celebrate mediocrity, I'll prefer a lyrical song that has a message than one that constantly talks of yansh, hole, boons, how it went down in the room, how the bottles were popped, how the party was hot and cold, how they chilled. All these can't stand a decade.

wonder where Lil Kesh came from sef. He talks, he doesn't sing sef.

s for wizkid or whatever he calls himself, he needs to track back, cos even till now, it's only his first hits I still feel are hits

Don't dull

Pakurumo

Love ma baby

Lasgidi

Jaiye

I don't blame them, I blame Nigerians..

They accept whatever they sing, moreover I think they are trying at least we have American rappers that sing trash too and they are making their money too..

let's stop painting these guys black, if you don't like his music, we have dare, Cobams etc.. they sing cool song.. it's a matter of choice

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Originality007: 9:54am On Nov 07, 2016
grin
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by RealJaneDoe: 9:55am On Nov 07, 2016
95% of Nigerian artistes write lousy music with mumbo jumbo lyrics but Nigerians will listen and dance to it anyway. They end up making lots money and aspiring young artistes will follow in their shoes.

We need more artistes like Cobhams to break the cycle.

Anyway but that's none of my business

Sips tea

16 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Gabrielwilliams(m): 9:56am On Nov 07, 2016
Eeeh.... See Issues.. U wan buy market ba? Eleniyan fans go soon bounce on u. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 07, 2016
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by holuwole12(m): 9:57am On Nov 07, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Alcafra: 9:58am On Nov 07, 2016
shey its making money? thats all that matters

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by boss1310(m): 9:58am On Nov 07, 2016
all these critics sef.this reminds me of people who condemn footballers and coaches but if they see a stray football on the street they can't even trap to stop it
what I understand about music is that what one like in it might actually be what the other hates,there are different genres of music and millions of artists but each artist have a die hard fan even tonto dikeh,these artists release their songs for those fans and if they appreciate it with other added fans then the artist smiles to the bank
in the case of wizkid(which I only like his first album just like the OP)his fans are increasing daily and so is his bank account unlike Tonto's and thats what really matters to these artists.good lyrics or not he is making his money and many musicians in Nigeria are praying to be at his level

5 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by richidinho(m): 9:58am On Nov 07, 2016
grin
Funny
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Mopolchi: 9:59am On Nov 07, 2016
revenue.ng or what?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by kelvinkosi(m): 10:00am On Nov 07, 2016
Buh the guy is still good ..... Am not his fan buh I love his jams ......

1 Like

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by billynoni(m): 10:02am On Nov 07, 2016
Yeah u're right wacky/lousy lyrics,but my mama will always tell me DO WHAT BRINGS YOU HAPPINESS COZ IN THE END,HATER STILL GONNA HATE..........................#team-small-boy-doing-big-things
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 07, 2016
jk
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 07, 2016
Please Epp us tell him oh. .. He shuld also stop smoking igbo sad

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Ochinawata01(m): 10:02am On Nov 07, 2016
abeg wiz sing they go I dey follow you, una dey talk like say tomorrow if wiz sing una no go dance. one chance people.

1 Like

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by onomeasike: 10:03am On Nov 07, 2016
vikishizzu:
That's the dumbest line I have ever heard in my life. I don't really know what is wrong in Inyanya. He must have had F9 in English!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by ajoskele(m): 10:03am On Nov 07, 2016
Just give me Timi Dakolo and Bez and you make my day.

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by skedman(m): 10:05am On Nov 07, 2016
Do you know the damage that, wizkid songs had done to our future kids and our wifes .

1 Like

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by clevadani: 10:06am On Nov 07, 2016
Op, u get time
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 07, 2016
All the artistes cannot be the same.
We had Tupac, he was great!...with deep and meaningful lyrics.
Yet, we had Notorious B.I.G, he was also great! sing about women and money.

All artistes cannot be Tupac, Kendrick Lamar, Eminenm, MI etc we need varieties like Biggie, 2Chains, Lil Wayne, Wizkid etc ...the variety makes the content in the music industry very rich...otherwise it would be too boring.

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by magicminister: 10:07am On Nov 07, 2016
WHY CHANGE A WINNING FORMULAR?

are the so called lyricists making money?
LOL. Give the people what they want and forget long story.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by tdemo(m): 10:08am On Nov 07, 2016
Dumb and wack lyric makes Money in Nigeria!!!!!! if not so the likes Of cobham,brymo,BeZ would have been some of the richest musicians in naija

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by kambili999(f): 10:09am On Nov 07, 2016
grin
Re: Wizkid, Stop Writing Lousy Lyrics by hadura29(m): 10:10am On Nov 07, 2016
daveP:
These guys work hard to enable their lyrically content get a tough skin. Let it make sense till fans listening find it hard to forget those punchlines etc.

Eminem's lyrics are deep.

M.i I respect him. knows how to keep business as business, unlike his wiskolo wiska bro jagz

Lol.. what if I tell you the wiskolo wiska Jagz is the major force behind M.I would you believe?. Airforce1 come clear doubt here ooooo.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Download A Thousand Years Sheet Music By Christina Perri / [lyrics] Barry Jhay - Ayo Ni Temi | @barryjhay / VIDEO: Mr. P – Zombie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.