Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,535 members, 7,812,664 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? (7445 Views)

14 Must Do Things During Salat / Ruling On Wearing Shoes/Sandals When Performing Salat / The Issue Of Shortening Salah (salat-ul Qasr) During NYSC Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by pdppower: 11:15am On Nov 04, 2016
Salam alaykum brothers in the house. I am always confused about how many times I have to raise my hands on salat. I usually see some people raising theirs on going for rukuh, after rukuh, after the first sujud, on going for second sujud, on standing up from sujud and finally on sitting down. Some do it only on few other points. This is why I wonder, how many times are we supposed to do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2016
wa alaykum salaam, its four places that you have to raise your hands

When pronouncing Takbeer al-Ihraam (the first Takbeer), when bowing in Rukoo’, when rising from Rukoo’ and when standing up after the first Tashahhud.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) started his prayer, he would say “Allaahu akbar” and raise his hands, when he bowed in rukoo’ he would raise his hands, when he said “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah [Allaah hears those who praise Him]” he would raise his hands, and when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands. (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2/222; Abu Dawood, 1/197).

The meaning of “when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands” is, when he stood up after the first Tashahhud.

The hands may be raised to the level of the shoulders or the ears.

With that it should be noted that you dont raise your hand neither when going for sujood nor standing up from sujood, as this is a common mistake most people make.

WALLAAHU ALAM

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 04, 2016
To see The complete method of how the prophet prayed read THIS BOOK by shaykh Al-Albanee titled;

"sifaat salaatin nabiy minat takbeer ilat tasleem ka'annaka taraaha"

"The Prophet's Prayer Described From Takbeer To Tasleem As If You Are Seeing It"

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by mannirmusa: 12:25pm On Nov 04, 2016
Jazakallhu khair. may Allah bless us

4 Likes

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by auwalyau: 12:29pm On Nov 04, 2016
Jazakumullah bi khair
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Alhaji1970: 12:52pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:
To see The complete method of how the prophet prayed read THIS BOOK by shaykh Al-Albanee titled;

"The Prophet's Prayer Described From Takbeer To Tasleem As If You Are Seeing It"

http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by bash4us(m): 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2016
Jazakallah llah khairan

1 Like

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 1:14pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:
wa alaykum salaam, its four places you raise your hand

When pronouncing Takbeer al-Ihraam (the first Takbeer), when bowing in Rukoo’, when rising from Rukoo’ and when standing up after the first Tashahhud.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) started his prayer, he would say “Allaahu akbar” and raise his hands, when he bowed in rukoo’ he would raise his hands, when he said “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah [Allaah hears those who praise Him]” he would raise his hands, and when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands. (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2/222; Abu Dawood, 1/197).

The meaning of “when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands” is, when he stood up after the first Tashahhud.

With that it should be noted that you dont raise your hand neither when going for sujood nor standing up from sujood, as this is a common mistake most people make.

WALLAAHU ALAM
may Almighty Allah increase you in knowledge. mine is just a clarification as to raising of hand when going for sujood. i want u to clarify me because sheikh nasirudeen al-albani said it in his book, sifatu salat that the prophet(pbuh) seldom raise his hands when going for sujud

2 Likes

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by shawl: 1:40pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

WALLAAHU ALAM

Sayyiduna Jabir bin Samurah radiallahu anhu says, 'Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam came out to us saying 'Why is it that I see you raising your hands as though they are the tails of obstinate horses? Remain calm in salâh.'

Ahmad 20450 & 20522, Muslim 430, Abu Dawood 1000 and Nasai 1184

Imam Abu Hanifa, rahmatUllahi alayhi, a reknowned scholar of his a time and a tabi (a successor), has said if something is from the Prophet, sallallahu alaihi wa sallam, then it is upon our head and our eyes...

As this is a statement of RasulUllah, saw, then it is clear that we are only meant to raise our hands once at the beginning of salah and not within it.

Also:

Alqamah reports that Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Mas'ud radiAllahu anh said, 'Should I not lead you in salâh in the manner of Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam?' He then prayed and did not raise his hands except in the beginning.

Imam Abu Hanifah as recorded in Jam'i al Masaneed 1/355. Also reported by Ibn Abi Shaibah in his al Musannaf 2441 as well as his Musnad 323; Ahmad 3672, Abu Dawood 748, Tirmidhi 257; Nasai in al Mujtaba 1058 and also in al Sunan al Kubra 645 & 1099; Abu Ya'laa 5040 & 5302, and Baihaqi 2531. Ibn Hazam 2/ 264, Ibn al Turkumani 2/113 and Imam Nimawi 402 have all declared the hadeeth saheeh.

Imam Abu Hanifa, ra, also said, along the same line as above, that when a matter is differing from among the sahaba, rad, then we pick and choose from among them ...

So in terms of eminence from among the sahaba, rad., Abdullahi Ibn Mas'ud, rad, is a very eminent sahaba and has direct ijaza from the prophet, saw, to deliberate on religious matters whereas Abdullah Ibn Umar, radiAllahu anh, was a junior sahaba, rad, (With all due respect to him), does not have that ranking. So better to stick with the positions that comes from a more eminent sahaba.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by ModestGal(f): 2:41pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

WALLAAHU ALAM
u need to do ur research wella,d prophet did dat during som special prayers only.thanks
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2016
ModestGal:

u need to do ur research wella,d prophet did dat during som special prayers only.thanks

Which special prayers?

Thanks.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2016
Now i want to believe that you are a hanafi, but being a hanafi does not mean you should be a blind follower of the madhab.

shawl:

Sayyiduna Jabir bin Samurah radiallahu anhu says, 'Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam came out to us saying 'Why is it that I see you raising your hands as though they are the tails of obstinate horses? Remain calm in salâh.'

Ahmad 20450 & 20522, Muslim 430, Abu Dawood 1000 and Nasai 1184

Imam Abu Hanifa, rahmatUllahi alayhi, a reknowned scholar of his a time and a tabi (a successor), has said if something is from the Prophet, sallallahu alaihi wa sallam, then it is upon our head and our eyes...

As this is a statement of RasulUllah, saw, then it is clear that we are only meant to raise our hands once at the beginning of salah and not within it.

Now this hadeeth is misplaced, used for what its not supposed to be used for, which to me is dishonesty from the hanafis who are hell bent on proving their position even if it is wrong, imam Muslim in his saheeh Muslim recorded the hadith under this classification;

The Command To Be Calm During The Prayer And The Prohibition Of Gesturing With One's Hand And Raising It When Saying The Salam; And Completing The First Rows, Aligning In Them, And The Command To Come Together

As we can see the hadeeth is talking about the wrongness of raising hands when saying salaam, and i will prove this by presenting the full versions of the hadeeth.

Now this is the first hadeeth imam muslim recorded under that baab(chapter);

Jabir b. Samura reported:

The Messenger of Allaah (ﷺ) came to us and said: How is it that I see you lifting your hands like the tails of headstrong horses? Be calm in prayer...

Here is the second hadeeth recorded under the baab;

When we said prayer with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), we pronounced: Peace be upon you and Mercy of Allah, peace be upon you and Mercy of Allah, and made gesture with the hand on both the sides. Upon this the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him said: What do you point out with your hands as if they are the tails of headstrong horses? This is enough for you that one should place one's hand on one's thigh and then pronounce salutation upon one's brother on the right side and then on the left.

And here is the last hadeeth under the baab;

We said our prayer with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and, while pronouncing salutations, we made gestures with our hands (indicating)" Peace be upon you, peace be upon you." The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) looked towards us and said: Why is it that you make gestures with your hands like the tails of headstrong horses? When any one of you pro- nounces salutation (in prayer) he should only turn his face towards his companion and should not make a gesture with his hand.

Now the first hadeeth was what you quoted, even if we are to follow that hadeeth, ask yourself how do the tails of horse move? Isnt it to and fro? Is that how we raise our hands in salaah?

Now the second hadeeth even made clear that, the sahaba was referring to when salaam is to be said by saying its enough to place ones hand on the thigh calmly instead of moving it to and fro like the tail of a horse,

And the last hadeeth made it clearer When the prophet asked them a question that why do they make gestures when saying salaam in their prayer like the tails of a horse.

So all of this shows the dishonesty on the part of the hanafis and unfortunately that hadeeth cant be used.

Also:

Alqamah reports that Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Mas'ud radiAllahu anh said, 'Should I not lead you in salâh in the manner of Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam?' He then prayed and did not raise his hands except in the beginning.

Imam Abu Hanifah as recorded in Jam'i al Masaneed 1/355. Also reported by Ibn Abi Shaibah in his al Musannaf 2441 as well as his Musnad 323; Ahmad 3672, Abu Dawood 748, Tirmidhi 257; Nasai in al Mujtaba 1058 and also in al Sunan al Kubra 645 & 1099; Abu Ya'laa 5040 & 5302, and Baihaqi 2531. Ibn Hazam 2/ 264, Ibn al Turkumani 2/113 and Imam Nimawi 402 have all declared the hadeeth saheeh.

Sorry once again, this hadeeth is not a sound hadeeth, this hadeeth was classed daeef by the imams of hadeeth says ibn hajar in his talkhis al-Habir 1/221-223, he says;

The hadeeth of al-Baraa’ was classed as daeef by Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyaynah, al-Shaafa’i, al-Humaydi the shaykh of al-Bukhaari, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Yahya ibn Ma’een, al-Daarimi, al-Bukhaari, and others.

The hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood was classed as daeef by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Mubarak, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, al-Bukhari, al-Bayhaqi, al-Daaraqutni and others. Similarly, the reports which were narrated from some of the Sahaabah about not raising the hands are all da’eef. We have quoted above the words of al-Bukhari (rahimahullaah) “…it was not proven that any one among the Sahaabah did not raise his hands.”

Imam An-nawawi in his al-Majmoo’ 3/399-406 says;

Imaam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) wrote a separate book on this issue which he called Juz’ fi Raf’ al-Yadayn (Section on Raising the Hands), in which he proved that the hands should be raised at these two points on the prayer, and he strongly denounced those who go against that. He narrated that al-Hasan said: “The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to raise their hands during prayer when they bowed and when they stood up (from bowing).” Al-Bukhaari said, “Al-Hasan did not exclude any of the Sahaabah from that, and it was not proven that any one among the Sahaabah did not raise his hands.”

I relied on shaykh munajid fatwa for the quotes of the two scholars that I've brought

To be continued

2 Likes

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2016
Imam Abu Hanifa, ra, also said, along the same line as above, that when a matter is differing from among the sahaba, rad, then we pick and choose from among them ...

So in terms of eminence from among the sahaba, rad., Abdullahi Ibn Mas'ud, rad, is a very eminent sahaba and has direct ijaza from the prophet, saw, to deliberate on religious matters whereas Abdullah Ibn Umar, radiAllahu anh, was a junior sahaba, rad, (With all due respect to him), does not have that ranking. So better to stick with the positions that comes from a more eminent sahaba.

Now even if I'm not sure if the statement attributed to imam abu haneefah is true, i would give a response to it;

The words "When a matter is differing between sahabas" does not in anyway means narrations brought, rather when they differ on how to apply the narration heard otherwise known as ijtihad of the sahabah or mawqoof of a sahabah, i.e the narration was not attributed to the prophet but to the sahabi, but once it is attributed to the prophet then the so called "eminence" does not come in play any longer, because all tthe sahabas are trustworthy(by ijma' of the sahabas themselves, the tab'een, the tabi tab'een and all the imams of hadeeth), therefore the ijma' on their trustworthiness is infallible!

Thus if it is proven that a hadeeth reaches the prophet through a sahabi, we have no choice but to accept that hadeeth, this is why for example; some hadeeth of abu hurayrah was heard from other sahabas like Aaishah, but if abu hurayrah wants to relate to another person, he will say "qaala rasulullaah.." He won't ssay he heard from a sahabi that the sahabi heard from the prophet, why? Because the sahabas all trust themselves as truthful(regardless of "eminence" or not).

But unfortunately, the hadeeth you brought is even daeef, so that has dismantled your arguments from within...

Do not make the act of taqlid....

2 Likes

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by mohammad11: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

JazakAllahu Khairan for this
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2016
mohammad11:

JazakAllahu Khairan for this

Wa iyyak!
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 04, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
may Almighty Allah increase you in knowledge. mine is just a clarification as to raising of hand when going for sujood. i want u to clarify me because sheikh nasirudeen al-albani said it in his book, sifatu salat that the prophet(pbuh) seldom raise his hands when going for sujud

Well, the hadeeth relied on for raising hand before and after sujood has issues, some scholars deemed it daeef and some deemed it sahih, but the other hadeeth i quoted that mentioned four places(excluding going or returning for sujood) has no issues, and as the prophet said, leave the doubted and follow the undoubted, i will advice we follow the hadeeth without issues, this link might also help;

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=281725

And Allaah knows best.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by pdppower: 5:03pm On Nov 04, 2016
Jazakum llahu khaeran to all contributors. May the Almighty Allah reward us all abundantly.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Canme4u(m): 5:41pm On Nov 04, 2016
Jazakalah aeran

Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by moufan: 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2016
nice one op,jazakhumllahu akhiran
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Walexz02(m): 5:58pm On Nov 04, 2016
Alahamdukillah Knowledge gained
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 6:02pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Well, the hadeeth relied on for raising hand before and after sujood has issues, some scholars deemed it daeef and some deemed it sahih, but the other hadeeth i quoted that mentioned four places(excluding going or returning for sujood) has no issues, and as the prophet said, leave the doubted and follow the undoubted, i will advice we follow the hadeeth without issues, this link might also help;

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=281725

And Allaah knows best.
thanks for the clarification. jazakAllahu khairan
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 04, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
thanks for the clarification. jazakAllahu khairan

wa ant fajazakAllaah khaira!
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 6:07pm On Nov 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

And Allaah knows best.
i wish to knw you better if you won't mind.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 04, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
i wish to knw you better if you won't mind.

At all, I don't mind...
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 6:03am On Nov 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

At all, I don't mind...
thanks. i'm Abdullahi . i'm a student of KSU, Anyigba, kogi state. you?
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 05, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
thanks. i'm Abdullahi . i'm a student of KSU, Anyigba, kogi state. you?

oh! I'm a student of Unilorin, I also have the blood of kogi, my mum is from kogi, what are you studying?
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 7:08am On Nov 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

oh! I'm a student of Unilorin, I also have the blood of kogi, my mum is from kogi, what are you studying?
that's great, i love unilorin. my course of study is BSc chemistry. you?
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
that's great, i love unilorin. my course of study is BSc chemistry. you?

pure and applied mathematics brother.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

pure and applied mathematics brother.
mathematician. much respect. sir. i fear that department.
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 05, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
mathematician. much respect. sir. i fear that department.

Lol....whu? grin
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 8:02am On Nov 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol....whu? grin
do you live in kwara state?
Re: How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat? by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 05, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
do you live in kwara state?
yeah and i live in lagos too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

An-nikkah (Marriage): A Soft Admonition To Our Sisters / My Heroes: The Companions Of The Prophet: / Q&A: The Wisdom Behind Calamities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.