Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc (1431 Views)

Wordpress Vs Joomla Vs Drupal; Who Wins? / Wordpress Vs Blogger! Which Is Better? / Social Networking Dilema Feat Drupal Vs Joomla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by emaginate: 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2009
does wordpress have more plugins and widgets that other CMS like joomla and drupal.
anybody
Re: Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by yawatide(f): 6:21pm On Oct 29, 2009
Does it matter? Why not, based on requirements, see if what you would like to use has the necessary plugins? What if the client insists you use something and you aren't familiar with it?

Don't limit yourself. Learn tid bits from everywhere and learn to use what works best in a particular situation.

good luck!
Re: Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by hostmot(f): 9:11pm On Oct 29, 2009
Actually, Wordpress has more plugins, widgets, templates, support e.t.c. than any other CMS out there.

But in the real sense of it, like yawa has said, it is your needs that will determine your final choice. In most cases, wordpress is an excellent CMS but there are situations where Joomla and Drupal beats it hands down.

You can always post your needs and the good members of this forum will help you make a grand choice.

Olawunmi,
Hostmot Sales Rep. (www.hostmot.com)
Re: Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by mavenbox: 12:37am On Nov 01, 2009
The truth is that Wordpress enjoys so much support, but Joomla is much easier to use, and with the Joomla extensions directory, you can get almost any plugin to do anything with.

Also, Joomla sites are basically the same in the backend, your template is what makes the site worth looking at. With wordpress, you need to hack PHP files to get your template to do what you want, but at the end of some long nights with cups of coffee, you'll be just fine!

The major problem with Joomla so far is that it isnt as fast loading as might be preferred. Wordpress beats it hands down there.

sad
Re: Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by Nobody: 3:21am On Nov 01, 2009
that is because of the heavy mootools that joomla make use of
Re: Wordpress Vs Joomla,drupal Etc by mavenbox: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2009
@DHTML: True. But that is d least problem, i think, cos it can be solved using javascript packers. I usually use Dean Edward's online packer, gives 30 to 40% compression, on ALL d Joomla js files b4 using d Joomla installer package.

The 2 other issues, for me, are
1. Joomla core framework outputs table-based layout instead of lean, tableless layouts using Divs & Css. We all know tables are far, far heavier than Divs. The solution is to rework &recode the framework for urself, and its not a small task. I guess this may be solved in Joomla 1.6

2. Plugins/Mambots. The richer &more functional ur site is, the more the plugins &modules u av used. Good for modules, u can select d pages that u want each module to appear on. But with plugins, ALL of them are loaded into every page, most often into the head of the page. E.g. U av a 130 page site but only 8 pages need a heavy set of plugins, yet all d 130 pages will suffer for it. There's yet no lazy loading controller that one can use to decide which pages will use what plugins, except i have time to code one.

I av used Joomla actively for 3 yrs & i think there are other issues but these 3 are the most serious, as easy as it is to use Joomla.

(1) (Reply)

Good Wordpress Theme And Editable Footer W/o Errors / You Think You know Jquery ? / Google Pagerank Update August 2, 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.