Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,018 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Nairaland: Improvements Needed - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland: Improvements Needed (2760 Views)

Google Launches Free Wi-fi In Nigeria – Announce Major Improvements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 12:02am On Nov 07, 2016
So I'm new to nairaland. I wish I had joined earlier when I first heard about it(about to 10 years ago).
Let me first point out that @seun has done good by giving Nigeria Nairaland!
That being said, there are a few improvements that can be done to make it reach its full potential hopefully seun sees it!

Please Note:
1. All suggestions should be realistic and should attempt to achieve the goal of this topic.
2. Be as detailed as possible so that your suggestions can be understood completely.
3. Links or photos showing a your suggestion is highly encouraged

Lets keep our brain thinking and our fingers crossed, and see how many suggestions nairaland team effects!
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 12:44am On Nov 07, 2016
I'm gonna start off:

When writing a post/topic the @username can be a link to a user's profile!

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 7:24am On Nov 07, 2016
In "My Profile", the link to the profile is still active which is redundant! It could be a disabled link that is probably grayed out indicating that the active user is currently on that users profile page.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by kikayboss(m): 5:58pm On Nov 07, 2016
Nice one bro...been looking for a way to share my opinion... OK here goes......

1) Please seun do something about the design of this forum..its unattractive or lemme just say, its too plain...I love Nairaland but its just to plain a site...I told my cuz about Nairaland, he visited the site and ran away saying its very ugly...seun abeg up ur design game abeg.....

2) Abeg can Nlanders get notifications when their threads hit frontpage..abeg now no be beans to reach front page ooo.....ordinary FTC sef hard...unless na snake u kill b4 u go rch FP sharply...*notification please*

3)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 3:48pm On Nov 08, 2016
The "go up" link shouldn't be at the bottom of the page, it should at the bottom of the screen.
A simple

position: fixed;
bottom: ?em;
left: ?em;

should fix it!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Seun(m): 3:54pm On Nov 08, 2016
ujiriukiri:
The go up link shouldn't be at the bottom of the page, it should at the bottom of the screen.
A simple

should fix it!
why?
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun:
why?

@seun Although I'm new to NL, I'm such a big fan and supporter. Good job!

I should have put a reason, apologies!

Reason: So that people don't have to scroll back up to access the "page header" (the first block, containing all the links specific to a persons profile)

I'm glad you are following this!
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by 2Pr3cise(m): 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun:
why?
This.

Saw this and i knew OP is just opinionated.
Nairaland looks great as it is, the only thing nairaland needs now is a better system for moderation as the community is not exactly family friendly (too vulgar most times).
Changing a few things will also improve overall user experience.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 4:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
@2Pr3cise
I didn't (and wouldn't) mention anything about UI, because I consider that to be NL's branding. The topic is mostly concerned about UX.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by coolbreezy01: 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
I support the notification stuff but about the ugly part of nairaland. Its best as it is cuz it depicts nigeria and its simple and easy to access not all those fancy blogs and sites. Good work seun am still your biggest fan though sometimes you put belief into work.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Icecream4U(m): 4:53pm On Nov 08, 2016
ujiriukiri:
The go up link shouldn't be at the bottom of the page, it should at the bottom of the screen.
A simple

should fix it!
this makes sense.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2016
kikayboss:
Nice one bro...been looking for a way to share my opinion... OK here goes......

1) Please seun do something about the design of this forum..its unattractive or lemme just say, its too plain...I love Nairaland but its just to plain a site...I told my cuz about Nairaland, he visited the site and ran away saying its very ugly...seun abeg up ur design game abeg.....

2) Abeg can Nlanders get notifications when their threads hit frontpage..abeg now no be beans to reach front page ooo.....ordinary FTC sef hard...unless na snake u kill b4 u go rch FP sharply...*notification please*

3)

Bro it's not as if it's not good for Sir Seun to improve nairaland's design from being plain, but what you don't know is that plain sites and designs improves page loading speed and page loading speed improves SEO. Nairaland is not a chat site dat needs Heaven on Earth designs to attract members; It's a discussion forum site.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 6:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
Sir seun for me you really need to add this @username user mention tag. It helps us to invite someone we want to be involved in a particular topic or to comment in that particular post.

There was a time i wanted to mention you in a particular post of mine so dat you'll be notified of the topic, but i couldn't. I had to quote your post from another topic that don't even relate to the topic i quoted your post in just to get you notified of the topic since you're not my follower.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 6:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
Sir Seun you there?
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 6:17pm On Nov 08, 2016
In mobile browsers like opera mini, there's mobile and non-mobile(pc) view options in the browsers settings. Sir Seun the mobile/handheld view of nairaland in opera mini isn't attractive atall, it's only the pc/screen view that looks attractive to members.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Seun(m): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
Yungkid101:
In mobile browsers like opera mini, there's mobile and non-mobile(pc) view options in the browsers settings. Sir Seun the mobile/handheld view of nairaland in opera mini isn't attractive atall, it's only the pc/screen view that looks attractive to members.
Is there something I can do to disable the mobile handheld mode on Opera?
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 7:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun:

No.

Well I've only ever used NL on PC, but decided to check it out on mobile and it was flawless! Good responsive design (thumbs up)

1 Like

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 7:17pm On Nov 08, 2016
Thumbs up and thumbs down emoji!
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 7:22pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun:

Sir seun i would like you to see what i'm trying to tell you before i suggest a solution.

Sir do you have any small java phone or any android phone below 20k that has opera mini browser ?.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 7:26pm On Nov 08, 2016
ujiriukiri:

No.

Well I've only ever used NL on PC, but decided to check it out on mobile and it was flawless! Good responsive design (thumbs up)

NL don't have pc designs. The pc view i'm talking about is not actually the laptop or desktop view of NL
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 8:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
Yungkid101:

NL don't have pc designs. The pc view i'm talking about is not actually the laptop or desktop view of NL

Can you be more specific! screenshots if possible.
I'm going to get opera mini browser on my phone now but I doubt I'll know exactly what you are referring to because my phone doesn't fit your specification!

I would also get it on my Android emulator and test it on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) hopefully that would get the desired result . But that would be later. I don't have the time now.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 9:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
ujiriukiri:

Can you be more specific! screenshots if possible.
I'm going to get opera mini browser on my phone now but I doubt I'll know exactly what you are referring to because my phone doesn't fit your specification!

I would also get it on my Android emulator and test it on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) hopefully that would get the desired result . But that would be later. I don't have the time now.

Bro enter your opera mini browser, enter NairaLand homepage expecially the part where there's list of forum categories and take screenshot of it. After taking the screenshot, go to opera mini settings, scroll to Single column view and tick the checkbox; after ticking the checkbox, reload NairaLand homepage and take a Screenshot of the same position with the previous one and attach the two images in your next post for us to see the difference.

I'm a wapmaster, i know what i speak of.
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by adewasco2k(m): 9:17pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun the home page multiple redirect thing is very annoying.

I will have to do Nairaland.com/home to not get that error that too many redirect from the home page.

Both on PC and mobile on chrome browser
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by BEENUEL(m): 9:32pm On Nov 08, 2016
[size=15pt]You guys should just keep shut! And surf NL more....about @username sh*t....i can mention any moniker now, and the person behind it will show face here....its freaking a Liability(it's a moniker) and a lot too, no need quoting write ups with the name inscript on it. You guys should ask for more Smiley, not the trivia ones you were unable to get. Thank you[/size]
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Yungkid101(m): 9:45pm On Nov 08, 2016
BEENUEL:
[size=15pt]You guys should just keep shut! And surf NL more....about @username sh*t....i can mention any moniker now, and the person behind it will show face here....its freaking a Liability(it's a moniker) and a lot too, no need quoting write ups with the name inscript on it. You guys should ask for more Smiley, not the trivia ones you were unable to get. Thank you[/size]

Please how do you mention users ?
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by BEENUEL(m): 9:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
[size=15pt]yungkid101...very simple, just simple....now I mention you without quoting you. [/size]
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by shumuel(m): 10:57pm On Nov 08, 2016
Seun:

Please don't disable it o, some of us still use the Opera Mobile mode
Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by ujiriukiri(m): 11:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
BEENUEL:
[size=15pt]yungkid101...very simple, just simple....now I mention you without quoting you. [/size]

How does he know he has been mentioned? What if i don't necessarily want to quote a user but write something directly to that user? Also wouldn't a link to his profile page be relevant?

Why all the aggression? If you feel a suggestion isn't good enough, point it out and give your reason(s), simple as that. Isn't NL a forum? @seun and NL team would still have to approve and implement it. These are just suggestions. Facebook, twitter and other social networks allow users to suggest improvements. It doesn't mean they would implement everything. Its just an avenue to let the developers know what/how users feel.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Vince77(m): 12:18am On Nov 09, 2016
I don't have any problem with the design of this wonderful site.

But all im asking for is an "dislike" button.

Sometimes i see a silly comment and then i decided to quote and insult the person and get banned.

But with the "dislike" button i could easily click it and move on.

Seun please.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by kikayboss(m): 12:41am On Nov 09, 2016
Yungkid101:

Bro it's not as if it's not good for Sir Seun to improve nairaland's design from being plain, but what you don't know is that plain sites and designs improves page loading speed and page loading speed improves SEO. Nairaland is not a chat site dat needs Heaven on Earth designs to attract members; It's a discussion forum site.
no wonder I noticed NL loads quickly...wow so its cos it is ugly?...thanks for explaining tho, u just enlightened me....
But u know dis design won't catch ppls attention...anyways thks again...

STILL LOVE NL THO

1 Like

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by kikayboss(m): 12:42am On Nov 09, 2016
Vince77:
I don't have any problem with the design of this wonderful site.

But all im asking for is an "unlike" button.

Sometimes i see a silly comment and then i decided to quote and insult the person and get banned.

But with the "unlike" button i could easily click it and move on.

Seun please.

Thanks.
dislike button...nice 1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland: Improvements Needed by Vince77(m): 1:42am On Nov 09, 2016
kikayboss:
dislike button...nice 1

Yea... Lemme correct that. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

White Woman Who Wants To Be Black Changes Her Name To Igbo And Fulani Names / Busola Oke,share Wedding Vows With Puffy Tee In New Song Wedding Bells / N15m Scam Rocks Chris Oyakhilome’s Church - Latest News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.