Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS (780 Views)

Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? / Detailed Description Of The Contents Of Boq/building Cost Estimate / Cost, Estimate For Building A 3bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria (Detailed Info) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS by tushbobo(m): 2:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
Hi…Are you embarking on a project and unsure of how to arrive at a cost estimate? As we know, cost is a major factor when it comes to project execution. Hence the importance of planning and controlling costs cannot be overemphasized. The 3 options stated below are the major ways to calculate your project cost. There are other methods but they are based on these three… So,let’s go:

1. Analogous Estimate:

It involves deriving project cost based on similar past projects. This is the fastest estimating method but also the least reliable.Example: If you are building a three bedroom bungalow, asking someone who recently built a three bedroom bungalow of equal(or almost equal) size will give a rough idea of how much yours will cost. However,other factors that will affect cost which should be considered are:

Location: This will affect labour cost,approval cost,transportation costs etc.
Desired finishes:Two buildings of same design but different material finish specification will have different cost estimates.
Type of land: It’s obvious that building on a marshy land is more expensive than solid ground.
Time/project schedule: Time changes so many things including building materials and logistics prices.

2.Parametric Estimate:

This is simply multiplying a unit cost by the total area of your project to arrive at your project cost.

Example: Your building has a total area of 300 square meters, If it costs NGN50,000 per square meter to build. The parametric estimate is:
300sq.m x NGN50,000= NGN15,000,000.
This is more accurate than the analogous estimate as the unit cost considers some of the factors not included in the analogous estimating method.It could also be used to cost only a part of the project.

3.Bottom up estimate:

It involves breaking down the project work into the smallest components and costing each item individually.Finally, all the costs are added up to arrive at the project cost estimate. This is the most reliable method of estimating your project cost but also the most time consuming and expensive. The Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is a major document in carrying out this exercise.
Before the BoQ is prepared, there has to be sufficient details in terms of drawings and specifications. You will need to engage the services of a quantity surveyor when using this estimating method.

There you have it…Wish you the best on your project!!

http://nigerianhouseplans.com/do-you-need-a-project-cost-estimate-these-are-the-three-basic-methods/

Re: DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS by Badgers14: 4:40pm On Jun 25, 2017
tushbobo:
Hi…Are you embarking on a project and unsure of how to arrive at a cost estimate? As we know, cost is a major factor when it comes to project execution. Hence the importance of planning and controlling costs cannot be overemphasized. The 3 options stated below are the major ways to calculate your project cost. There are other methods but they are based on these three… So,let’s go:

1. Analogous Estimate:

It involves deriving project cost based on similar past projects. This is the fastest estimating method but also the least reliable.Example: If you are building a three bedroom bungalow, asking someone who recently built a three bedroom bungalow of equal(or almost equal) size will give a rough idea of how much yours will cost. However,other factors that will affect cost which should be considered are:

Location: This will affect labour cost,approval cost,transportation costs etc.
Desired finishes:Two buildings of same design but different material finish specification will have different cost estimates.
Type of land: It’s obvious that building on a marshy land is more expensive than solid ground.
Time/project schedule: Time changes so many things including building materials and logistics prices.

2.Parametric Estimate:

This is simply multiplying a unit cost by the total area of your project to arrive at your project cost.

Example: Your building has a total area of 300 square meters, If it costs NGN50,000 per square meter to build. The parametric estimate is:
300sq.m x NGN50,000= NGN15,000,000.
This is more accurate than the analogous estimate as the unit cost considers some of the factors not included in the analogous estimating method.It could also be used to cost only a part of the project.

3.Bottom up estimate:

It involves breaking down the project work into the smallest components and costing each item individually.Finally, all the costs are added up to arrive at the project cost estimate. This is the most reliable method of estimating your project cost but also the most time consuming and expensive. The Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is a major document in carrying out this exercise.
Before the BoQ is prepared, there has to be sufficient details in terms of drawings and specifications. You will need to engage the services of a quantity surveyor when using this estimating method.

There you have it…Wish you the best on your project!!

http://nigerianhouseplans.com/do-you-need-a-project-cost-estimate-these-are-the-three-basic-methods/

Happy Sunday Sir.

If I send you my floor plan, will you be kind enough to provide me the BOQ to determine the project cost... I don't want to start up a white elephant project.

Thank you.
Re: DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS by princeifynicky(m): 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2017
The 3rd is the most reliable... and I have always adopted this method. Even for my clients, and they always appreciate.
Re: DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS by tushbobo(m): 12:00am On Jul 05, 2017
Badgers14:

Happy Sunday Sir.

If I send you my floor plan, will you be kind enough to provide me the BOQ to determine the project cost... I don't want to start up a white elephant project.

Thank you.

Good day Sir. Yes the BoQ can be done. But as mentioned, the services of experienced QS will have to be employed.
Re: DO YOU NEED A PROJECT COST ESTIMATE?? THESE ARE THE THREE BASIC METHODS by tushbobo(m): 12:02am On Jul 05, 2017
princeifynicky:
The 3rd is the most reliable... and I have always adopted this method. Even for my clients, and they always appreciate.

Sure brother. That's the most reliable but others give rough estimates which come in handy at preliminary stages.

(1) (Reply)

A Plot Of Land For Sale At Alagbaka G.R.A. Akure, Ondo State. / 126 Plots Of Land Behind National Stadium Surulere Lagos For Sale 45M Per Plot. / 1261sqm (2plots) @ Ikegun Town Lekki Free Trade Zone 3m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.