Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Five Lies About Hypertension - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Five Lies About Hypertension (615 Views)

Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension / Doctors Warns Nigerians About Hypertension / Five Lies About Seizure Disorders/epilepsy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Lies About Hypertension by lekside11: 4:29pm On Nov 07, 2016
I decided to highlight these points in order to clear some misconceptions on hypertension. These were obtained from interactions with patients in clinics and questions I was asked at some health seminars. I believe this will help to better understand hypertension and help people to be more compliant to their drugs and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

1. Hypertension is caused by stress Hypertension is not caused by stress or “thinking too much”. Although stressful events can increase the blood pressure for a brief period of time, they do not cause sustained elevation of the blood pressure. Hypertension is diagnosed when there is a sustained elevation of blood pressure above that expected for age (See my write up on hypertension).
Hypertension may be broadly divided into primary or secondary hypertension. Primary hypertension occurs as a result of interaction between genetic (inheritance) and environmental factors (diet, lack of exercise, smoking etc.) causes. Secondary causes of hypertension include kidney disease and drugs.

Source: http://medicalinfosblog..com.ng/2016/10/five-lies-about-hypertension.html
Re: Five Lies About Hypertension by lekside11: 11:16am On Nov 08, 2016
Although stress does not directly cause hypertension, we know that prolonged exposure to stressful situations may cause unhealthy habits like smoking, bad diet, excessive alcohol consumption and lack of exercise which are risk factors for hypertension.
I am emphasizing on this because I have met people who refused to take antihypertensive because they attributed their hypertension to stress. Stress may cause a transient elevation of blood pressure but not a sustained elevation (hypertension) over a period of time.

2. Hypertension can be reduced by using sedatives
Sedatives are used to induce sleep and they also have calming effects but they are not going to treat hypertension and normalize blood pressure.

3. Hypertension is a death sentence
No! Hypertension is not a death sentence. In fact, being diagnosed with hypertension and taking drugs reduces the risk of untimely death from complications of hypertension. Knowing you have hypertension will help you to start treatment early which will prolong your life.
Re: Five Lies About Hypertension by Nely77(m): 1:06pm On Nov 08, 2016
@lalasticlalaaaa this topic fit help some people oooo. Hypertension is really a common disease in this our region and most times people take it for granted out of ignorance. Many have died and many others advanced to stroke because of lack of enough information on this. We need this topic on fp.

(1) (Reply)

Tips- Drinking Water In The Morning / HELP!!! A Fly Is Walking About In My Right Ear / How Parents Can Get Their Kids To Eat Healthy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.