Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,210 members, 7,836,019 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment (32054 Views)

NDLEA Recruitment: Past Questions And Answers For Recruitment Test: Download Her / Breaking News:Reps Remove Age Limit On Employment / Bill To Remove Age Barrier Against Job Seekers Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Jumbledwords: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2016
LOL the best the Senate can do is stop them from posting job adverts with age restrictions. Clandestine bigotry go still dey.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by TheSCRYPT: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2016
Removing will cause more harm than good. It will just turn things upside down. The best option would be raising the bar.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by mickool(m): 5:04pm On Nov 08, 2016
Very good moved. They should also remove years of experiences as a criteria in getting a job.Imagine a fresh graduate can not apply for job because they will be asking you for two or five years working experiences.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Bigboss111(m): 5:14pm On Nov 08, 2016
Good move.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by ikemesit4477: 5:34pm On Nov 08, 2016
nghubs1:

http://nghubs.com/senate-moves-to-remove-age-bracket-specification-for-recruitment/
Good move, but they should also reduce retirement age from 35 years, to give room to upcoming graduate!
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by prince13: 5:35pm On Nov 08, 2016
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by ojtech8291: 6:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:
I don't think it's a wise decision.... That means my great grand mother or father can get job.....

They should rather look into years of experience..

My opinion
If you can deliver the company or the institution will know. Despite the move there must be a certain limitations. Good for many Nigeria graduates that exceed their age because of Strikes, delays of service and so many other factors.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by biggy26: 6:09pm On Nov 08, 2016
HAH:
Do they have this power ?

Everywhere in the world there is practice of age restriction as requirement for recruitment, how to you expect a 40 years old man to recruited into the army or police.

Reason for getting people younger is to groom them well when their brains can still be moulded, and reason of looking for people that have aged sometimes is to benefit from their experiences.

This is another exercise in futility by the
Senate

Which one is all this 40yr old man tingy? did they put any age there? 29-35 nko? Should they be discriminated against? By d way, some 40yr olds are smarter and more mentally alert than some of todays 25yr+ hommies.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by biggy26: 6:10pm On Nov 08, 2016
Acidosis:
It won't work.

There is something they call "Generation Theory: Generation X, Y and Z" in HRM practice.

There would always be huge distinctions among the:

Baby Boomers
Millennial, and
Generation Z

The Senator has good intentions, but no company will employ a 40 year old man with 4 kids for a job that specifically requires the competence, and expending discretionary motivations of a fresh graduate (who can do anything for money).

Which one is all this 40yr old man tingy? did they put any age there? 29-35 nko? Should they be discriminated against? By d way, some 40yr olds are smarter and more mentally alert than some of todays 25yr+ hommies.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by ojtech8291: 6:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
Good move!! Because of this recruitment age limit most of my school mates were running up and down to reduce their age.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:
I don't think it's a wise decision.... That means my great grand mother or father can get job.....

My opinion
why not if she is qualify for the job
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Excuzeme: 6:32pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:

My opinion

It is a long-overdue action.
They should also go further to remove the "state of origin" requirement.

if your great grandmother is PHYSICALLY 7 MENTALLY FIT ENOUGH to do the job, it is only reasonable she gets a chance to FIGHT FOR IT
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by wilfus(m): 6:40pm On Nov 08, 2016
That is a very good development. Atleast all those graduated years back can still have a hope.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
I have seen companies that hire mostly older experienced people.

Not in Nigeria though. But if I need to make any hire in Nigeria I will look for older men with kids, they seem to understand that they get paid for the job they do, and do it to the best of their knowledge, experience , dedication and abilities.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by muhakeem(m): 6:56pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:

My opinion
not still the best... Where do you want them to go get the experience from?
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Caseless: 7:00pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:

My opinion
if your great grandfather is better than you and qualified, why not?

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by mykelly(m): 7:06pm On Nov 08, 2016
Kolewerk!!! Why do we make laws just for the sake of it e.g Lagos tenancy law
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Generaloluseye: 7:44pm On Nov 08, 2016
At the end of the day, people still manipulate their age. Even in the police 40 year olds are claiming 21
HAH:
Do they have this power ?

Everywhere in the world there is practice of age restriction as requirement for recruitment, how to you expect a 40 years old man to recruited into the army or police.

Reason for getting people younger is to groom them well when their brains can still be moulded, and reason of looking for people that have aged sometimes is to benefit from their experiences.

This is another exercise in futility by the
Senate
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Atk1nson(m): 8:00pm On Nov 08, 2016
phameous:

If as a HR, I put up employment ad and within me I know I want btwn ages 23-27 (for whatsoever reason). Senate opinion can't come to play.

Will only work for government agencies..
#myTots

funny comments by the senate, I doubt they did think it through. An employer knows what age bracket he is looking out for in particular roles and why, some simply set an age limit to reduce the admin stress of sorting too many applications.

The solution is to provide more employment opportunities, so that the bargaining power can tilt to the job-seeker

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by bejeria101(m): 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
starbuck:

My opinion

When dis stunt backfires its to look for who to put the blame on. Its dis govt favorite move
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by phameous: 12:03am On Nov 09, 2016
Atk1nson:

funny comments by the senate, I doubt they did think it through. An employer knows what age bracket he is looking out for in particular roles and why, some simply set an age limit to reduce the admin stress of sorting too many applications.

The solution is to provide more employment opportunities, so that the bargaining power can tilt to the job-seeker

well said.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by harffie(m): 12:57am On Nov 09, 2016
saintandsinnerz:

Senseless opinion! Not all opinions are worth having.
grin grin Fatality

Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by freshyabstel: 6:59am On Nov 09, 2016
starbuck:

My opinion

YOU ARE A BIG FOOL. IDIOT. GO GET A LIFE.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Stanbeto: 7:32am On Nov 09, 2016
We are still waiting
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by BLACKPANTHER(m): 8:22am On Nov 09, 2016
Acidosis:
It won't work.

There is something they call "Generation Theory: Generation X, Y and Z" in HRM practice.

There would always be huge distinctions among the:

Baby Boomers
Millennial, and
Generation Z

The Senator has good intentions, but no company will employ a 40 year old man with 4 kids for a job that specifically requires the competence, and expending discretionary motivations of a fresh graduate (who can do anything for money).
Mumu Thinking...in such a Country like Nigeria many 40yr old people are highly competent than fresh graduates like it or not. Rather you should opt for inclusion of competency analysis in modern recruitment strategy. If a blind man in Jos can couple phones and he's over 40, so his career is over without considering how he could impact on the economy just because he's not a fresh graduate. Different Jobs are meant for different ages and levels of experience not fresh graduates dominating everywhere and not knowing they are being exploited.
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by emsquare(m): 8:25am On Nov 09, 2016
okay
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by noziz(m): 12:06pm On Nov 09, 2016
Correct. This is what we are talking about cool
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
Re: Senate Moves To Remove Age Bracket Specification For Recruitment by Yksoul(m): 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2016
SENATE SHOULD BETTER BE FAST ABOUT THIS AGE BILL.IT IS LONG OVERDUE.NIGERIA IS FOR ALL AND NOT SOME SET OF FEW PEOPLE. NPA PORTS IS ALSO GUILTY OF THIS AGE BARRIER.REMOVE IT I BEG

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help, Proways Dynamic Resources Limited..... / Nigerian Security Printing And Minting Aptitude Test:what Do I Expect / Exxonmobil Aptitude Test By Dragnet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.