Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,224 members, 7,839,187 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

The Day Nigeria Won The World Cup.. A Must Read - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day Nigeria Won The World Cup.. A Must Read (402 Views)

The Simple Reason Why Wole Soyinka Won The Nobel Literature Prize Of 1986 / Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize / That Moment When Wole Soyinka Heard/read That Trump Won The Election.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Day Nigeria Won The World Cup.. A Must Read by Aurora007: 1:21pm On Nov 09, 2016
[size=14pt]The day Nigeria won the world cup[/size]

We all sat in the tension soaked room, Yes? "we" and by we, i meant all the able bodied men in our compound, for the ladies were too chicken hearted to watch this epic world cup match between Nigeria and Brazil. But who would blame the ladies, after Mama Silifa had to be rushed to the hospital after watching Yakubu Aiyegbeni miss a goal in the quaterfinals that my grandmother would have easily scored with her eyes closed...

It was the final match, and we had gathered at Baba Debo's house to watch this epic match.. The scores were levelled, and we were approaching the extra time..It was nothing less than a miracle that we hadnt conceeded a goal after all this while..If our eyes could speak as at that moment i guess it will be a prayer in unison offered to the most high to help us get to the extra time..

I sat on the edge of my seat, squirming uncontrollably as Neymar breezed past two of our defenders, and with each step towards the post, my tension seemed to increase in geometric proportions as my heart raced wildly against my chest perhaps in an attempt to stop Neymar from advancing, but this was all in futility as Neymar fired a shot towards the goal post which was deflected by the woodwork.. phewwwwwwww!! We all breathed a sign of relief and simultaneously shouted, "Ope Ohh"

I resumed my prayers this time in a more determined manner, wishing that God would at least be interested in football today and just as the thought breezed through my mind, the interesting happened.. It was a counter attack, Kenneth Omeruo had snatched the ball from one of the Brazilian boys and was charging down the left flank, he located Victor moses who dribbled two players via a "leg over" and did a through pass to locate Ahmed musa. And as he was approaching Box 18, we all stood up simultenously holding our hands, hearts pounding hard praying hard to God that the "Spirit of Aiyegbeni" will not descend on him.. A swift response to our prayer came as Musa looped the ball sending it to the top left corner of the goal post.....

Goal!!!!!!!!!!!, Goal!!!!!... We all shouted as i hugged a complete stranger standing beside me as the realisation dawned on us that we had won the world cup and in the same hypomanic state, i jumped high only for the blades of the fan to hit my head... Yahhhh!! I cried in agony, rubbing ma head only to discover that i had bumped ma head on the roof of the Danfo bus caught in a serious traffic hold up and that i had been sleeping..

Mtchewwwww!! I hissed inwardly, I knew this was too good to be true, for even in my dream, it felt as if i was dreaming..I woke up to reality; to the sound of angry car horns blaring in the air perhaps to articulate the raging frustration that had clouded the mind of the citizenry, to the crass negligence and gross ineptititude that had crippled the leadership..

I sighed in exasperation, as a mosquito parched on my sweating frame humming discordant tunes to my irritated ear just as a street hawker passed by our bus, with a public address system singing "I dey kill mosquito well well"..

THE END

(1) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Comments Are Racial In My Opinion / They Were Made For The Music / Preview The New Okadabooks Referral Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.