Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,238 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain (921 Views)

How I Burnt My Chest After Using Harsh Chemicals On It (Graphic) / Lump In The Chest- Graphics Pix Attached / PCOS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) A Must Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain by Kalatium(m): 10:55pm On Nov 12, 2016
What is Precordial Catch Syndrome ?

By Kalatium

Precordial Catch Syndrome (PCS), also known as Texidor's twinge, is a common cause of chest pain complaints in children and adolescents.

It also occurs, though less frequently, in adults. PCS manifests itself as a very intense, sharp pain typically at the left side of the chest which is worse when taking breaths.

Patients often think that they are having a heart attack which causes them to panic. This typically lasts 30 seconds to 3 minutes, though some episodes last only a few breaths and in rare cases can last up to 30 minutes. In all cases the pain is resolved quickly and completely.

Most times people confuse PCS thinking they have heart attack. It is also similar to angina.

History

The syndrome was first described and named by Miller and Texidor. They reported the condition in 10 patients, one being Miller himself.

In 1978, PCS was discussed by Sparrow and Bird who reported that 45 healthy patients suffered from it and that it was probably more than generally assumed[3]. PCS has also been reported on by Pickering in 1981 and by Reynolds in 1989 who did a report of the children in the US with the condition. These constitute the literature available on PCS.

Symptoms

PCS has consistent characteristics. Its symptoms begin with a sudden onset of anterior chest pain on the left side of the chest.

The pain is localised and does not radiate like heart attack pain typically does. Breathing in, and sometimes breathing out, often intensifies the pain.

Typically this causes the patient to freeze in place and breathe shallowly until the episode passes. Episodes typically last a couple of seconds to three minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient, sometimes occurring daily, multiple episodes each day, or years between episodes.

This is believed to be localized cramping of certain muscles groups. Intensity of pain can vary from a dull annoying pain to intense pain causing momentary vision loss/bluriness.

Although deep inhalation during a PCS attack will likely cause an increase in pain, many have found that forcing themselves to breathe as deeply as possible will result in a "popping" or "ripping" sensation which quickly and completely resolves the PCS episode.

PCS episodes happen most often while sitting or lying down, and being inactive.

Causes

It is speculated that it could be caused by the pinching of a nerve and may be due to spasm of intercostal muscles fibers (N.A.Exeer MD). There is also a correlation of PCS to stress and anxiety. PCS is often seen to occur during rest or a sudden change in posture.
A bleb of the lung may be mistaken for PCS.

Treatment

There is no known cure for PCS. However PCS is also not believed to be dangerous. Therefore PCS is generally not seen as a problem. Perhaps the worst part about PCS is the fear that this chest pain is an indicator of a heart attack or other dangerous condition, so therefore a correct diagnosis of PCS is a relief. PCS should only occasionally interfere with normal activity, and there is no reason to use any form of medication.

For more info visit: https://www.healthline.com/health/precordial-catch-syndrome

Cc
Lalasticlala
Re: Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain by Kalatium(m): 11:22pm On Nov 12, 2016
Is any Nairalander having this Syndrome let's discuss
Re: Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain by wizzy199: 10:43pm On Nov 29, 2020
I just saw this thread while searching for information as regards this pain in my chest, I must confess what you described above is just how it happens to me.

it happens to me when I carry something or try to lift a heavy object. from the link you posted, I read that it's not a serious disorder and all that, but I am scared cos I don't want this to lead to other heart complications.
Re: Precordial Catch Syndrome —A Benign Chest Pain by Kalatium(m): 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2020
wizzy199:
I just saw this thread while searching for information as regards this pain in my chest, I must confess what you described above is just how it happens to me.

it happens to me when I carry something or try to lift a heavy object. from the link you posted, I read that it's not a serious disorder and all that, but I am scared cos I don't want this to lead to other heart complications.
Wow... Glad to find a response.

BTW
IT is not something serious.

(1) (Reply)

What Drug Shud I Get For My Acne / Does Sex Or Masturbation Too Much Make Person Lean? / 5 Real Causes Of Anal Itching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.