Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

I Feel Bad Not Representing Nigeria At The World Cup- Valerie Awelewa - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Feel Bad Not Representing Nigeria At The World Cup- Valerie Awelewa (664 Views)

Nigeria At 59: Which Day Or Moment Is Unforgettable In The History Of Nigeria? / Breaking News: Nddc Md Seat: Akpabio Compels Nsima To Pick Valerie Ebe As Succes / Anambra State House Of Assembly Loses Member Representing Idemili North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Feel Bad Not Representing Nigeria At The World Cup- Valerie Awelewa by AxeurdaddyIX: 7:44am On Nov 13, 2016
The SK Herkenrode striker is unhappy missing a chance to play for the Falconets at the World Cup but keep hopes alive to represent her country in the future
SK Herkenrode of Belgium striker Valerie Awelewa has expressed her disappointment after missing a chance to represent Nigeria at the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup in Papua New Guinea .

Awelewa, 19, who had made the 30-woman provisional squad for the women youth championship, admitted her dreams to wear the country's colours oot shattered due to the late notice to her University College.

Goal: Tell us about yourself and your family background?

Valerie Awelewa : My name is Valerie Awelewa. I'm 19. I was born and raised in Belgium. My father is Yoruba and my mom is Igbo. I have a younger sister who's 12 and a younger brother who's 10 also a footballer. I have been playing football since I was 10yrs. At the moment, I play for a Belgium-based club SK Herkenrode as a striker.

Goal: Can you share with us your goalscoring performances and achievements in the past two seasons with your club side(s)?

VA : The season before the last: I was playing for FC Halveweg Zonhoven. There were three teams. I used to play for the first team that was playing against clubs all over Belgium. And the second team that only played within our Flemish region. After I played with the second team in the morning, I followed the first team to play another. I had a scoring record going for both leagues. But it's the scoring record for the second team that stood out with 32 goals. And for the first team, it was 19 goals. My last season was with my current club SK Herkenrode. I scored 20 goals in 22 matches. Both of our teams were playing in the same league. Our first team was first and the second team ended in the second position. Our first team moved up to another league. And I maintained to be in the top 5 highest goal scorers in our league. This season, i've scored 15 goals in nine matches.
Goal: How did you secure an invitation and feel your call-up to represent the country?

VA : An ex-Nigerian journalist came to watch one of my matches and was very impressed. He told me I have a shot at playing for Nigeria. So he took me to meet an official of the Nigerian Football Federation when the Super Eagles were playing in Brussels, Belgium. I was very excited because it’s something I have been fantasizing about. I was so happy to get a chance because I would love to represent Nigeria. That's where everything started.

Goal: Why didn’t you honour the call-up to play for Nigeria?

VA : The invitation came here five days before I was to report to camp. If it came here a month earlier my school would've been able to arrange a special program. I am studying Chemistry at the University, so I needed to give the invitation to my School at least a month before I am to report to camp so that they can arrange my program for me but unfortunately the invitation got here four days to the day I am expected to report to camp. My director told me that it’s sudden for any change because all the changes should have been made by mid-September and if I go, then I have to repeat a year because am already doing my lab projects.

Goal: How do you feel missing out on representing Nigeria in Papua New Guinea?

VA : I was very disappointed because I had my bags and everything ready to go but I'm keeping my hopes for the next World Cup. Feel a bit bad but encouraged at the same time. I see pictures of the squad almost every day. And I just feel bad for not being there but I also know that it isn't the end but just the beginning. And I know that God will make a way for me. Of course, they can win the tournament; I believe the coach is experienced and has chosen a lot of talented girls to complete the team. So I'm sure they will perform well.

Goal: How will you feel if given another chance to represent the country at an international level in the future?

VA : It is very important to me getting a chance to play for my country in the future because it's my home country and being able to represent Nigeria in any type of way is an honour to me. I would love to contribute to the Nigerian national team. I hope I will make my family and my country proud. Even though I was born and raised in Belgium. I'm still Nigerian by blood.

Goal: What are your future dreams as a female football player with great potentials and who’s your role model?

VA : I would like to play for a big club. I want to make a name for myself by scoring a lot and setting a record for myself. I would like to be someone that other girls who are passionate about football will look up to. Asisat Oshoala is my role model because of her hunger for the ball. I am too. Her playing is a bit similar to mine and I like her personality.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/12072/nigeria-women/2016/11/13/29392002/i-feel-bad-not-representing-nigeria-at-u20-womens-world-cup-says-

Cc: Laslasticlala

Re: I Feel Bad Not Representing Nigeria At The World Cup- Valerie Awelewa by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 13, 2016
yeah she is a great baller wink
Re: I Feel Bad Not Representing Nigeria At The World Cup- Valerie Awelewa by FlySly05: 8:03am On Nov 13, 2016
IMO I do not think she is physically fit enough to represent the country at that level yet. But with hard work I dedication she will one day be called upon again. She seem passionate though.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Loan Of Upto 2.5 Million Naira Within 24 Hours / What Kind Of Fashion Is This???? / Kelechi Iheanacho Dumps Manchester City F.C.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.